I Got terminated for 3 missed packages no scan's.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
You are not telling the whole story. The bits and pieces that make it sound like you did nothing wrong and that you made seniority sound nice but it's not the whole truth. I been doing this a while and I have heard all the stories from both sides. Something is definitely missing from this one. Where are you located? What supplement do you fall under?

I have never seen anyone that made seniority sent back to part time dock work. Once your full time you cannot go back to part time. If what you did was bad enough for a termination, you would be going to a hearing to try to get your job back.

When you feel like telling the whole story, we'll be here.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Count yourself lucky you dont work in my center. we had a driver who did the same as you:sheeted pkgs not found, then mixed them with his send agains and pick up pieces. He was terminated and lost at the panel

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Another dear abby letter.

First, lets look at this from what you have posted. Normally it takes at least 5-20 posts to get to some of the nuts and bolts of the issue, but you have dont it rather quickly.

I Got terminated for 3 missed packages no scan's.

This is what you used as the headline for the thread.

Why didn't you scan them?

As a shop steward that would have been my first question.

They was mixed in with my send agains. Then i had a audit when i got back to the warehouse and they where there

Now here is where we start with the truth. They jumped off the shelf where the preload had loaded the packages, and quite by some miracle, they all ended up with your send agains? That is what you are claiming?

Did the packages show up in edd as being on your car?

Ah tie, the management response to the driver statement and union rep question. While edd is not fool proof, one might be able to be explained away, but three?

1 package wasent, but the other 2 i put the in as not find. I delivered to my last stop which were apartments than when i got back i had a audit then those 3 no scans. i just made seniorty. For tcd

Now, this is interesting. One was not, so that one actually did not appear in your diad, but the other two showed up on edd, and you put in that you did not find the packages? IS that what you did, documented in the diad that you could not find said packages, and when they audited your car, there they were? And they were mixed in with your send agains? How many damn send agains do you have a day anyway?

They said it was company dishonesty, i thought i would get a write up or verbal warnig before termination

What would you call it. You said you could not find the packages on your car, but by some strange cosmic storm, there they are on your truck in the send again area when you get back to the building?
Let me let you in on a company secret. There is no verbal for dishonesty. Its the door. And the union reps were correct. You dont have one breath of a chance at the hearings, cause UPS will terminate you. You gave them all the documentation to do it with as well. And all this "getting even with you" for filing greivances crap, get a clue. I have seen drivers fired with 20 years seniority for less than you did, and with less evidence.

So like some of the others have said, count your blessings. You still have a job.......why I dont know. And with that job, another chance at full time in the future. Next time, do it right. Take the job seriously.

d

UPSGUY72

You are not telling the whole story. The bits and pieces that make it sound like you did nothing wrong and that you made seniority sound nice but it's not the whole truth. I been doing this a while and I have heard all the stories from both sides. Something is definitely missing from this one. Where are you located? What supplement do you fall under?

I have never seen anyone that made seniority sent back to part time dock work. Once your full time you cannot go back to part time. If what you did was bad enough for a termination, you would be going to a hearing to try to get your job back.

When you feel like telling the whole story, we'll be here.

+1

He has probably been doing this since he started driving and I'm sure it was brought up during a PCM I know in my building evey couple of months are manager gives us a reminder about unscanned packages and tells us you don't want to get caught not scanning packages.

Apparently throwing the unscaned packages with the send agains was working for him up untill his car got audited with him there. I wonder how many other drivers in his building got audited and or caught with unscanned packages.

slmdre

Thats one thing they say i sindnatured some paper's but i neveer did. And i just didnt deleiver the packages found them later in my load then forgot them after the apartments

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thats one thing they say i sindnatured some paper's but i neveer did. And i just didnt deleiver the packages found them later in my load then forgot them after the apartments

So you sheeted these as "forgot"? Or did you simply bury them in the pickups hoping to hell you wouldn't get caught? I would love to have seen the look on your face when your on-car audited your PC.

QKRSTKR

This is a joke. I dont believe this is a real post. I personally have never called a hub or center a warehouse. A warehouse is for storage to fill orders of some sort. I have never in my life "signatured" any documents before. Ive also never heard of being sent back to part time after being full time.

If I cant find a pkg, i leave it in edd. I also send a message usually when at that stop saying I cant find it. What they sometimes do here to guys who they think burn pkgs is put a misload on the car, usually something close enough to del, and see if the driver sends in a misload message or delivers it. If that pkg comes back the next day with no scan, your problems have started.

UPSGUY72

It's I signed some papers.

When you found them later you should have went back and delivered them or sheeted them as missed you choose to do neither you didn't deliver them becasue you didn't want to waste the time going back becasue you wanted to get off the clock at a reas0nable time. Then you didn't sheet them as missed becasue you knew that you would get a message to deliver them. Instead you stuffed them in with the send agains thinking either that I'll sheet them after my last stop or most likely I just won't sheet them and they never find out becasue I've done it before.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
The more I read the original post, the more I start to think that the company never "Bought" this guy as a full timer. Just because you worked the 30 days does not make you automatically full time. The company has the right to review your packet and choose to keep you full time or to deny you also called "disqualify" you for any reason they see fit. In this case, you have no recourse except to put your name back on the list and give it another shot when your supplement allows it. In some areas if you are DQ by the company you can go right back to it whenever the need arises. In others there will be a waiting period, it will depend on your region.

In either case, you were wrong in the way you handled the situation. If in fact you could not find them, you need to send a not found ODS message at the stop in question. I would also suggest you keep it in EDD until some point that you are 100% sure they are not on the truck. If at a later point you find them, you should ODS the center again to let them know you found the missing packages and ask if they want you to go back to deliver them or sheet as missed. Always let the management team make the final decision. There are some decisions that any way you choose will be wrong and if you let the boss make it, you have effectively covered your own A**. You have to know that every package must get a valid attempt to be delivered every day, unless directed other wise from management, not from you!!

A piece of advise to you in the future, I see it alot with the younger generation. Do not take the attitude that "It wasn't my fault, it just happened to me that way!!" Things happen out there everyday, to all of us. It is the way YOU react to the situations that determines if you will get into trouble for it. Take some responsibility for the choices you made and learn from it for the future. I will repeat what some others have said on here. You are very lucky to have a job at all. I have seen drivers fired for less!!

Good luck to you in the future, someone must think you will be able to do the job in the future or they would have shown you the door!!

Re-Raise

We were closed at our center Wednesday. We didn't get a couple of trailers from CACH and the other hubs Thursday so they put together a plan with about 2/3 of our routes on.

I knew it would be a mess with some drivers not making it in and them trying to combine routes. I showed up early to move all of my chains and snow gear to the package car I had to go out on.

My EDD looked pretty good and I had my head wrapped around my route when the guy on the route next to mine showed up. He was blown out and no one noticed until he got there.

He had forty or so resi's for the town I was delivering and I said give back 25 of them. They did a last minute add/cut and he and I and the pre-loaders started moving the packages while the other drivers were listening to the pcm.

As we moved the packages the pre loader was checking them off the sheet. One bulk stop had a lot and I said you keep them and another package was about 120 pounds and the back of my car was already bulked out so I said can you keep that too. He agreed.

The next day there was a sheet in my slot that the 120 package had no scan the day before. It was in my EDD and when I asked the other driver about it he said he must have missed it because of the EC packages that day. I looked in the package car and it was out for delivery Friday.

It can happen. I told the supervisor what happened Friday and I don't think I will hear anymore about it. After the week we had in the midwest that is probably pretty far down the list.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
The difference is that he did not move the package to the send again shelf. And you did have emergency conditions as well. And you move a section around last minute. All of these contributed to the package being missed, and not scanned. None of these happened in his case.

He saw the packages, chose not to sheet them, and placed them with his send agains. He might have intended to sheet them at the end of the day and forgot, but who really knows. The way he did it shows an intent to hide the packages.

And has been said, they do salt packages to see what the driver will do with misloads. And this guy failed miserably.

d

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
So you complete 30 working without a break ?? If you had a day off during your 30 days they can start your 30 days over.
I'm in ohio so maybe it's different for you but I was told 30 days of work in a 90 day period. Also, "if your a vacation cover driver", Those days in the free period don't count if a full timer is on a vacation. So if you work 30 days within 90 but on one 1 of those days someone used a vacation day then you only had 29 days inside that 90 day period and your not in permenent. I've worked most of Jan but still not in there and now that I'm trying to keep track I get cut and not being used. Funny ain't it.

Oh, Don't sink your missed pieces. Think of it this way. What if that was your delivery or wifes or some other family members of yours. Do what's right and when you call manager to report a missed piece just take the nagging and you get to clock back in tommorrow.

Question???? Do any of you other centers have to call in a missed piece to center manager? Maybe it was a not found but found it when it was to late or out of area. Maybe a school/business that's closed and running blind on a route u didn't know of it till u got there. U can't detail every stop before u leave and if you don't know the route it will probably happen.

Do u guys have to call that in like my center does????? It gets frustating when u run alot of routes blind and anoying but we have to.

Last edited:

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
So you complete 30 working without a break ?? If you had a day off during your 30 days they can start your 30 days over.
I'm in ohio so maybe it's different for you but I was told 30 days of work in a 90 day period. Also, "if your a vacation cover driver", Those days in the free period don't count if a full timer is on a vacation. So if you work 30 days within 90 but on one 1 of those days someone used a vacation day then you only had 29 days inside that 90 day period and your not in permenent. I've worked most of Jan but still not in there and now that I'm trying to keep track I get cut and not being used. Funny ain't it.

Oh, Don't sink your missed pieces. Think of it this way. What if that was your delivery or wifes or some other family members of yours. Do what's right and when you call manager to report a missed piece just take the nagging and you get to clock back in tommorrow.

Question???? Do any of you other centers have to call in a missed piece to center manager? Maybe it was a not found but found it when it was to late or out of area. Maybe a school/business that's closed and running blind on a route u didn't know of it till u got there. U can't detail every stop before u leave and if you don't know the route it will probably happen.

Do u guys have to call that in like my center does????? It gets frustating when u run alot of routes blind and anoying but we have to.
we are required to communicate to the center via the diad when misloads are found. Our version of EDD has the option to send in a 'misload message' in the communication menu. we scan the pakcage,and report if we are able to make service. as a general rule if the package is residential you WILL be required to make sevice on it 'on your way in' . I have made a great deal of easy overtime running misloads that are 10-15 miles off area

we are required to communicate to the center via the diad when misloads are found. Our version of EDD has the option to send in a 'misload message' in the communication menu. we scan the pakcage,and report if we are able to make service. as a general rule if the package is residential you WILL be required to make sevice on it 'on your way in' . I have made a great deal of easy overtime running misloads that are 10-15 miles off area[/QUOTE]Cha-Ching