I guess I'm going to have to start running

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
I'm in the process of qualifying and the route I have is easy but I keep getting back to the hub at 8pm. I have one mall plaza with a few businesses maybe 7-8; businesses at most along with a few businesses on the main road and also some residential neighborhoods. There's not a lot of traffic in the neighborhoods and it's a suburban area so some of the houses have long driveways but not a whole lot. When I ran it with the supervisor (and also another driver; unpaid hop on so we met at the mall) they both altered the route in a way where they could hit the houses in a better order to save a lot of time. Now I'm new to the route of course so I don't know the area well and I follow the diad the whole time aside from when I see the black box is an area and it's the only house so I just do it so I don't have to go back. I come in an hour early to organize the spa labels so I can just grab and go and even when I feel like I'm making good progress, I still end up getting done at 8. Mind you, I've only done the route twice by myself since I got done with supervisor ride alongs and have been an extra for my other days. I think I'm going to have to run each and every package off because I can't do the route in the order the supervisor and the other guys that have the route do it that saves them time due to lack of knowledge of the area but I just wanted to ask, am I doing something wrong or is there something I'm missing?
It's only been a couple days...

Relax.

Don't try to cut corners out the gate until you learn which corners to cut.

Rush too soon and you never learn the fundamentals.

Before you pull out...

Make sure your airs and anything going to the same place is together if you can...

Everything in your isle try and clear as you do airs if you can.

Once my airs are done I try and touch everything on board right away so I'm not hunting.

You will be aight...

Don't let em see you sweat.

TheOnlyMidnight

It's only been a couple days...

Relax.

Don't try to cut corners out the gate until you learn which corners to cut.

Rush too soon and you never learn the fundamentals.

Before you pull out...

Make sure your airs and anything going to the same place is together if you can...

Everything in your isle try and clear as you do airs if you can.

Once my airs are done I try and touch everything on board right away so I'm not hunting.

You will be aight...

Don't let em see you sweat.
You're right bro, I'll take your advice.

Est.1998

yes, so that when there are no more lockers available you now have to deliver a package to the apartment door of the person you already delivered to a locker. makes ups sense.
If I'm not mistaken, the training states if there's no room in the lockers, NI1.
But still, who wants to continue rolling volume everyday bc one puts 1of 3 into each individual locker.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
FE0368C2-032F-4969-8B2A-590BCEB19714.jpeg

@rod

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I'm in the process of qualifying and the route I have is easy but I keep getting back to the hub at 8pm. I have one mall plaza with a few businesses maybe 7-8; businesses at most along with a few businesses on the main road and also some residential neighborhoods. There's not a lot of traffic in the neighborhoods and it's a suburban area so some of the houses have long driveways but not a whole lot. When I ran it with the supervisor (and also another driver; unpaid hop on so we met at the mall) they both altered the route in a way where they could hit the houses in a better order to save a lot of time. Now I'm new to the route of course so I don't know the area well and I follow the diad the whole time aside from when I see the black box is an area and it's the only house so I just do it so I don't have to go back. I come in an hour early to organize the spa labels so I can just grab and go and even when I feel like I'm making good progress, I still end up getting done at 8. Mind you, I've only done the route twice by myself since I got done with supervisor ride alongs and have been an extra for my other days. I think I'm going to have to run each and every package off because I can't do the route in the order the supervisor and the other guys that have the route do it that saves them time due to lack of knowledge of the area but I just wanted to ask, am I doing something wrong or is there something I'm missing?
ya, you're doing something wrong if you're not punched in that hour early to do that work. Get paid for every minute.
If you are punched in then just work the methods and do the best you can. Don't run or else you'll be all washed up in 10 years. Hip replacements, knee surgery and all kinds of health issues. you'll be crippled before you can retire.

RetiredIE

Retirement is VASTLY underrated
Have you obtained a copy of the driver manifest and did a mock run on the weekend?
Also, get the manifest for that day and go over it when you get off work using google maps when you get home.
The key for me was area knowledge and going over the game tape every day helped a lot.
I did the same thing when I was qualifying. I ran the general flow of the route on weekends and studied (paper) maps. Area knowledge gives you confidence and the ability to make better decisions. If ORION isn't set up correctly, ignore it (unless your sup insists). If he or she insists, ask them for a ride along so they can demonstrate how to make it work. Good luck!

Zowert

Go out during your time off and drive around the area you’re covering. Once you have area knowledge it should be a breeze. If you need to make up time, do it on your feet not behind the wheel. As mentioned before, don’t follow Orion, get to know the area like it’s your own neighborhood then run it the way that makes the most sense. Once you qualify you can stop running and follow Orion.

TheOnlyMidnight

ya, you're doing something wrong if you're not punched in that hour early to do that work. Get paid for every minute.
If you are punched in then just work the methods and do the best you can. Don't run or else you'll be all washed up in 10 years. Hip replacements, knee surgery and all kinds of health issues. you'll be crippled before you can retire.
They don't allow us to punch in early. I wouldn't run after I qualify though.

TheOnlyMidnight

Go out during your time off and drive around the area you’re covering. Once you have area knowledge it should be a breeze. If you need to make up time, do it on your feet not behind the wheel. As mentioned before, don’t follow Orion, get to know the area like it’s your own neighborhood then run it the way that makes the most sense. Once you qualify you can stop running and follow Orion.
Yeah that seems to make a lot of sense

TheOnlyMidnight

I did the same thing when I was qualifying. I ran the general flow of the route on weekends and studied (paper) maps. Area knowledge gives you confidence and the ability to make better decisions. If ORION isn't set up correctly, ignore it (unless your sup insists). If he or she insists, ask them for a ride along so they can demonstrate how to make it work. Good luck!
Thanks man, that seems to be the key is getting to know the neighborhood like it's your own