I hate U-Hauls.

sjh

Not realistic at all. Maybe for a 20 something with no kids and living at home.For the average person with a family and responsibilities there's just not enough hours in the day.

I'm not one to lecture on what's realistic and what's not. I'm the first college graduate in my family for generations, and I managed to graduate debt-free (that means WORK), with honors, with a husband, a child, and another one on the way. I had severe morning sickness during my pregnancies, which meant I often left classes to throw up.

To the determined, it can be done.

MAKAVELI

Not realistic at all. Maybe for a 20 something with no kids and living at home.For the average person with a family and responsibilities there's just not enough hours in the day.

I'm not one to lecture on what's realistic and what's not. I'm the first college graduate in my family for generations, and I managed to graduate debt-free (that means WORK), with honors, with a husband, a child, and another one on the way. I had severe morning sickness during my pregnancies, which meant I often left classes to throw up.

To the determined, it can be done.
Thank you for the feel good story but everyones circumstances in life are different. Nothing is impossible but some have more support than others to achieve their goals. I could tell you my life story and family history that would make your head spin. But I won't bore you with that. I'm a firm believer in life is what you make of it. What I dislike about this job more than anything is the culture of dishonesty, lies and deceit that is embedded in this corporation. Instead of being a used car salesman, just be upfront and honest. This is a dead end job, only to profit FedEx and the contractor. Nothing about this job is conducive for someone to further their education other than maybe motivation to get the hell out of here.

Hate 150lb Packages

Hate to burst your bubble. I don't know the people you associate with, they sound like slouches. I am a 20 something, but I have my own place. I am divorced and have custody of my children half the week. I have no debt, own my truck, and yes, I pursue a degree. It took me 3 years of night classes to get just an associates... but guess what? I got it. I work 40-50 hour weeks, and I also go to school online to a very respected institution (top 50) in the northeast. I'm in my junior year of a bachelors in business. If you think my generation is full of slobs and :censored2:bags, you are right. But much of the time, you are wrong. I know plenty of people my age who make me look like I'm lazy. There are plenty of decent "20 somethings" that don't live at home and are adults working full time (even at Ground) that pursue higher education. I saw guys deployed in Iraq, some barely 20, who would go on patrols and risk their lives daily and then come back in the evenings and sit down for some skype/phone time with their children and then crack open the books after that. I saw more than one GRADUATE with a BA or MA and participate in the commencement via Skype from a tent in bagdad. And yes, they were "20 somethings". Please don't lump me into your category of lazy asses. If you want to stereotype, go to the mall.

Hate 150lb Packages

Your SM is an idiot and if his MD gets wind of him spreading such misinformation, he will be an unemployed SM ASAP.
Why does anyone care? If a package is attempted and the rental truck can't fit, it cant fit. I do what I can, and I explain every single service cross to the SM when I can't deliver. If they want to call it an 07, an 08, or a 123456789, I don't GAF. It is what it is, and to imply someone is falsifying, or going to lose their job is insane. Some of you people act like I'm forging direct signature packages or something. The SM here is not stupid. I'm sure he passes the buck just like I do. I NEVER code something I'm unsure of, I always text and get direction. Anything outside of a normal 04/07 gets verified. Im sure he does the same thing to avoid any liability. Again, it's a freaking number. As long as they understand, why does it matter?

MAKAVELI

Hate to burst your bubble. I don't know the people you associate with, they sound like slouches. I am a 20 something, but I have my own place. I am divorced and have custody of my children half the week. I have no debt, own my truck, and yes, I pursue a degree. It took me 3 years of night classes to get just an associates... but guess what? I got it. I work 40-50 hour weeks, and I also go to school online to a very respected institution (top 50) in the northeast. I'm in my junior year of a bachelors in business. If you think my generation is full of slobs and :censored2:bags, you are right. But much of the time, you are wrong. I know plenty of people my age who make me look like I'm lazy. There are plenty of decent "20 somethings" that don't live at home and are adults working full time (even at Ground) that pursue higher education. I saw guys deployed in Iraq, some barely 20, who would go on patrols and risk their lives daily and then come back in the evenings and sit down for some skype/phone time with their children and then crack open the books after that. I saw more than one GRADUATE with a BA or MA and participate in the commencement via Skype from a tent in bagdad. And yes, they were "20 somethings". Please don't lump me into your category of lazy asses. If you want to stereotype, go to the mall.
Relax bro. Everyone has a sob story to tell. My point is for the contractor to be honest and not a used car salesman. I got much respect for the men and women who serve our country but I'd be plenty of 20 somethings as I described

hypo hanna

Why does anyone care? If a package is attempted and the rental truck can't fit, it cant fit. I do what I can, and I explain every single service cross to the SM when I can't deliver. If they want to call it an 07, an 08, or a 123456789, I don't GAF. It is what it is, and to imply someone is falsifying, or going to lose their job is insane. Some of you people act like I'm forging direct signature packages or something. The SM here is not stupid. I'm sure he passes the buck just like I do. I NEVER code something I'm unsure of, I always text and get direction. Anything outside of a normal 04/07 gets verified. Im sure he does the same thing to avoid any liability. Again, it's a freaking number. As long as they understand, why does it matter?

sorry if I came across that way. It's just that the scenario you described would be falsification at express. I don't know what the standards are for ground.

bbsam

Staff member

Why don't you let us know what building you work out of and the monitors from Fedex that read these posts can discuss it with your SM and see if he doesn't amend his directions without you seeking verification. (No, don't really do that. Just making a point. You say he isn't stupid but I insist he is stupid who hasn't been caught yet.)

CJinx

Why does anyone care? Well, it turns out, district management doesn't appreciate being lied to; at least, they don't appreciate knowing for a fact that they are being lied to. Integrity is a big issue in the handbook for Ground employees. A senior manager should know better than to direct people to use status codes for purposes that they were not intended for. If someone utilizes an 07 or a 34 or whatever to hide the fact that they had service failures, this is a serious problem.

bbsam

Staff member
Managing Directors see every complaint that hits their district. If a MD starts seeing tons of complaints from a terminal about customers "being home all day waiting for a box" and yet the box is coded "07", the MD already has an idea something is up. Now if that becomes confirmed from monitors to this site, imagine the conversation the SM and MD will have Monday morning...and afternoon into the evening... if the SM isn't fired outright.

MAKAVELI

Why does anyone care? Well, it turns out, district management doesn't appreciate being lied to; at least, they don't appreciate knowing for a fact that they are being lied to. Integrity is a big issue in the handbook for Ground employees. A senior manager should know better than to direct people to use status codes for purposes that they were not intended for. If someone utilizes an 07 or a 34 or whatever to hide the fact that they had service failures, this is a serious problem.
Integrity? What planet do you live on? FedEx can't even comprehend the meaning of integrity. They must have really spiked your kool aid.

bbsam

Staff member
Integrity? What planet do you live on? FedEx can't even comprehend the meaning of integrity. They must have really spiked your kool aid.
Oh, they know what it means when they are pointing out lapses in others. If those "others" happen to be SMs or QA or contractors or drivers, then so be it.

Hate 150lb Packages

My point is, I'm just WAD. What would the code be for literally not being able to get to a house because a truck is too big? I don't think anyone has ever seen that scenario before this contractor. He has a lot of vehicle problems which means we use rentals quite a bit. And why would they want me to change it? All I'm trying to do is do a good job and keep everyone happy. The package gets returned either way, so why do they care what the code is?

headlight

Your contractor uses unreliable trucks, then rents trucks not suited to the area being delivered, and then wants to use 07 because the rental is too big to get into driveways/streets? That's a 27. But go ahead, use 07. When the customer sits at home waiting for that package and you dont show up and they call in a complaint because their package wasn't delivered your contractor is on the hook. You think the SM will just sweep that complaint under the rug and defend your use of those 07's to the MD? Hell no, your ass will be under the bus and they will deny deny deny. One complaint costs me big bucks, and it also costs the driver large chunk of their monthly bonus if it's a valid complaint. I would rather take my lumps for having 27's than misuse status codes and risk the complaint and lost CSI or potential "integrity" issues .

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
I stay because it works for me for a few years. I enjoy the work and delivering things to residences especially. Its a means to an end and in no way do I see this as a career. I have developed close friendships with my co workers and I work for a decent contractor. I have plenty of misgivings and I despise the model Ground operates on, but I still encounter plenty of decent folk here. The pay blows, but in terms of entry level employment that I only plan on having for a few years, it beats the hell out of Walmart, labor work, etc. Anyone that wants to do this as a career with no ambitions of school, career advancement, etc., has my sympathy. I'm happy Ground is the way it is. It's given me the ability to cope with extreme situations and given me some real world experience. That's something I have yet to learn in 3 years of college. Many days at Ground are a huge pile of ****, but I like to turn them into learning experiences. I remember last peak, I stayed out till 1am on many nights with a flashlight, delivering with a guy who has become a very close friend. We bullsh$%%ed all night and had a blast. I haven't been able to do that since I was in an infantry unit in the military. Ground blows, but then again, so does digging ditches, bagging groceries, and doing manual labor.

Good for you, sir. Always accentuate the positive.

Sadly, the only positive about Ground is using it as a bad example.

HomeDelivery

he should have given you the shorter 16 foot isuzu / fuso or gmc w4500 vehicles instead; i remember working for ground and i couldn't maneuver a 26' straight truck in some suburban streets... they long since switched to the P1000 in those areas

STFXG

It's a rental truck. Sometime you have to take what's available and do what you can. Obviously if something else was available to rent he would have rented a smaller truck.