I hate when res customers tell you to just put it by door

BigBrownSanta

I may have been too negative in my earlier post.

I do not do the things I posted to every delivery I go to. I reserve that "treatment" for a select few and it usually takes a long period of time to get to the point where I will go to that extreme.

If someone is working in their yard, I don't expect them to stop mowing to get their package. I hold the package up and point to the porch. Then I set it on the porch.

On the other hand, if I walk up to the door and see them sitting on the couch and they look at me and ignore me, that will get the storm door treatment.

If they are pulling down the driveway and they tell me to put their barnes and noble book on the porch rather than just take it, there had better be a safe, out of sight, out of weather place or it won't be on the porch when they get back.

tvick

Gravy Boat Captain
I don't trust any customers, they are nice to you one minute the next minute they are stabbing you in the back stating to you're managers that your delivering damaged packages, you're kicking their dog, you're "rude and arrogant" as one customer called me, or you're leaving wrinkled info notices on their door, or you're driving like a maniac through the subdivision and you took out some tree limbs, or you're throwing orange peels in their yard, or you left a size 13 foot print in their flower bed!!! I will DR every package according to methods, and if I customer asks me to relocate it I explain in the most polite way that I have already released the package to them and its their baby now, not mine. I do love customers though, they are our job security.

You are lucky that they do not call the police and tell them there is a BIGBROWNMAN on our property!!

grami72

We are a SERVICE company- yes. But that doesn't mean customers have a right to treat us like DIRT or SECOND CLASS CITIZENS when we show up with their packages. We do them a SERVICE already when we show up to work and deal with the pushy management and over-dispatched loads and all the other "holier than thou" customers that we deal with everyday.

You don't do the customer a service when you show up to work. That is called doing your job. I agree no one has the right to treat you like dirt, but asking you to bring the package to the door, etc. hardly qualifies. As for your comments about pushy management and over-dispatch, I should have known this was all managements fault. And poor you has to pay for it.

Hedley_Lamarr

The thing that kills me the most is when I ring the door bell, knock, wait a minute, service cross the package, rite out an info notice, scan the info notice, stick it to the friggen door, stop complete, start to walk away, or are already back to the truck and they answer the friggen door. I just feel like throwing the stupid package at them when they do that...:angry:

loserupser

Two minute Therapist
Ok maybe some of you misunderstood me or I phrased it incorrectly, I am NOT talking about me being lazy, it is the courtesy of acknowledging your existence. Its the im better than you attitude, now do my bidding! A simple thanks is all I ask and it s apparently too much to ask.:whiteflag:

Jim Kemp

The thing that gets me is when you stop in front of the house and they see you walking up to them and they go inside and close the door. I just put the pkg down at the door and walk off without knocking, I figure they did not want to be bothered.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
It all boils down to common courtesy, common decency, attitude. This thread obviously is populated by the drivers.

So, drivers, you want decency, a good attitude? It's called Karma.

I do pre-load - I'm the guy walking out of UPS as you are coming to work. I'm the one bathed in sweat & dirty. I'm the one that says "Good Morning" to each & every one of you, right before you look away as if I am invisible or have some terminal infectous disease.

And I would take your job, grab the persons newspaper from the driveway, and put the both in their living room if given the chance. And I'd give THEM a bottled water.

It all boils down to common courtesy, common decency, attitude. This thread obviously is populated by the drivers.

I do pre-load - I'm the guy walking out of UPS as you are coming to work. I'm the one bathed in sweat & dirty. I'm the one that says "Good Morning" to each & every one of you, right before you look away as if I am invisible or have some terminal infectous disease.

And I would take your job, grab the persons newspaper from the driveway, and put the both in their living room if given the chance. And I'd give THEM a bottled water.
I'm sure you would Benefit, for a minute. I do grab the paper on my way to the door if it is close to the walk path (nearly every time) and place it with the parcel, it cost me nothing. I do see the point about people pulling out of the drive as you approach the door and won't pause for a second to receive the package. Depending on the situation I do many things that are not within our job description, simply because I'm a nice guy. But I really hate rude people.

bellesotico

BOXstar
The only time I get irritated is when the driveways have 3ft of snow and they haven't been shoveled..
Tromping through the snow is not a big deal..its when I look up and see people watching me from their window laughing at me struggling with a box I can barely see over and trying not to slip and fall.
I get a bit testy at that point..lol..

bellesotico

BOXstar

I'm a preloader as well and as such I consider my drivers my customers. I know that I have done my fair share of venting about dealing with the occasional rude driver and we have exchanged stories about the little things we as preloaders do and have done to make or break a drivers day. Don't you think it's only fair that drivers are afforded that same opportunity to vent about their everyday dealings with customers without being made to feel bad about it?
I say better to vent here..in this forum..than to take it out on the customer.
:happy2:

Last edited:

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
I'm a preloader as well and as such I consider my drivers my customers. I know that I have done my fair share of venting about dealing with the occasional rude driver and we have exchanged stories about the little things we as preloaders do and have done to make or break a drivers day. Don't you think it's only fair that drivers are afforded that same opportunity to vent about their everyday dealings with customers without being made to feel bad about it?
I say better to vent here..in this forum..than to take it out on the customer.
:happy2:

Yeah, you are right. Guess I'm just using the old "treat others the way you want to be treated" cliche'

bellesotico

BOXstar
Yeah, you are right. Guess I'm just using the old "treat others the way you want to be treated" cliche'

Trust me..I am too :) But just think about it..no one is talking about what they've done to customers when they've been inconsiderate :) Just blowin off steam! And it's probably fair to say that customers have done a little complaining about the drivers too..warranted or not. :)

Just trying to be fair alright? When you brown up on saturdays..you might just have a few stories of your own to add..:surprised: :wink2::happy-very:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

... But that doesn't mean customers have a right to treat us like DIRT or SECOND CLASS CITIZENS when we show up with their packages..

I had one particular delivery in which the consignee did make me feel like a second class citizen. I was delivering in the wealthy section of Lake Placid, NY, and I had this stop where, as I was leaving the vehicle and almost at the front door, I was "informed" that "all deliveries go to the side door". I stood there for a second, debating whether to say something or not, but thought better of it and delivered the pkg as requested. I mentioned to this to one of the other Placid drivers and he laughed, said that it had also happened to him and not to let the SOB get to me.

I had another customer who ran a roadside fruit stand and I loved his philosophy on life. He would always tell me:

Some people might think their :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: don't stink but their farts give them away.

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
I was "informed" that "all deliveries go to the side door".

that kinda stuff happens all the time here in Scottsdale/Paradise Valley. There is one property that has a huge mansion on it and also a "guest house." There is a sign hanging from the inside front gate that tells all delivery people to take deliveries "around the side of the house- to the guest house if no one is available at the primary house."

H

hseofpayne

Now there is a great idea!!!!
Actually it is a courtesy thing. I know when I am expecting a pkg, Im at the door of the truck when he pulls up if Im home. And if I am there I acknowledge the existence of another human being and dont give them the "now off with you" attitude.

In my 23 years of UPS'n, I have had a simple way of deciding if I liked a customer; If they met me at the truck at residential stops or if they helped me unload at commercial deliveries, they were A OK with me! I always do my job, I just don't go out of my way for lazy or rude customers. I also have the memory of an elephant!!! We are human, too.

This past week I had a delivery for the largest house in that county, it's just outside the city limits but this place is a mansion, I mean HUGE! The concrete drive is just over a 1/4 mile long and has a Y. The left goes to the circle drive in the front and the right curves around to the back where the 4 car 2,000 SF garage is located. I took the right path and circled around close to the garage and stopped, by the time I got the package out and closed the bulk head door, the Lady of the House was coming out with a big smile and "How are you today?" on her lips. She thanked me, offered me a soft drink or bottled water and told me to be sure and try to stay cool. This had a very nice impact on me, I was passin' on the good vibes the rest of the day. Some rich folks are just folks, just like us.
That people is known as Courtesy!

UPS Lifer

Because of Airport Security, the last building I worked in had chain link fence to secure the 1/4 mile walk path to building. You could be passing 50 to 100 folks during that time, probably 2-3 would have the courtesy to acknowledge your "hello"! It was like a wall of negative energy hitting you before you ever hit the hub or parking lot! This always amazed me.

I was pretty happy to move out of that building my last two years!

For some reason... I just don't think it is like this in Iowa or Kansas. Just ask Dorthy!

The next building that negative energy was gone WOW! What a difference in the way you start of end your day.

H

hseofpayne

This past week I had a delivery for the largest house in that county, it's just outside the city limits but this place is a mansion, I mean HUGE! The concrete drive is just over a 1/4 mile long and has a Y. The left goes to the circle drive in the front and the right curves around to the back where the 4 car 2,000 SF garage is located. I took the right path and circled around close to the garage and stopped, by the time I got the package out and closed the bulk head door, the Lady of the House was coming out with a big smile and "How are you today?" on her lips. She thanked me, offered me a soft drink or bottled water and told me to be sure and try to stay cool. This had a very nice impact on me, I was passin' on the good vibes the rest of the day. Some rich folks are just folks, just like us.
That people is known as Courtesy!

I remember the first time I delivered a pkg to Trisha Yearwoods' parents. I was riding out in the country, in Monticello, Ga., looking for the address, expecting to see a big ole mansion. Much to my suprise, when I got to the mailbox, I saw a small brick house sitting back off the road. When I pulled in the drivewayan older gentleman walked out to meet me. I thought maybe I was at the caretakers house, that somewhere behind this house there was THE HOUSE. Well it turned out to be that this was Trishas' Dad and this was there house. I joked with him that I was expecting a castle and he just laughed and said," I grew up in this house, raised Trisha in this house, and I'm gonna die in this house!" That really amazed me because I have always assumed that money changes people, well maybe not all of 'em.

H

hseofpayne

I read this thread, and I start to comprehend what is wrong with the company I worked 32 years for. It is not the customers job to carry the package to his door. It is the drivers. I read all the threads here who complain about managetment working, but when it comes to doing the actual work, if the customer doesn't do it for you, the customers the bad guy.
Take a good look at this thread. We are a SERVICE company. Hence the name, United Parcel Service. The customer does not have a duty to love you. Earn it.

Dang Grami72, simmer down now! This is a forum to vent about problems we have at work without drop-kicking the customer! Life was much easier back when y'all had to stop for hay and oats instead of diesel! Take your geritol and take a nap for Gods' sake. LIGHTEN UP!!!!!