I have an interview tomorrow

M

macgirl

I applied for package handler position and is scheduled for an interview tomorrow. Before I go I have some questions:
1. What can I expect on the interview? What do they usually ask?
2. Is there going to be many people other than me on the tour?
3. Do I have to bring IDs? If so, what kind?
4. It says that I cannot bring any personal stuff, but can I bring my handbag?
5. I don't have steel-toe shoes or any kind of safety shoes. What should I wear?
6. How does the Earn & Learn Program work? Is there any obligation (eg. I would have to work for UPS for some period of time)? If I enrolled in that program, would I have to pay back it back?

Also, I would like to hear from girls, women who have experiences working as package handlers.

Thank you.

atatbl

Damn, I was hoping the first line of your post would be "with a vampire." Oh well, go here:

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/hi.156850/

http://www.browncafe.com/community/...-got-an-interview-for-package-handling.97794/

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/interview-please-help.92358/

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/package-handling-interview.62000/

There are many more too. Click the search button. Click advanced search. Change the option to only search for words in thread titles, and type interview.

Feeder Hawgg

Feeder Hawgg
Macgirl.....The best thing you can bring to the interview is confidence. I do interviews every week to help determine who I want HR to hire for my hub. A firm hand shake when greeted, good eye-contact with the person interviewing you and a "I can do any job you have attitude" is the key. As far as steel toe shoes, not neccessay for the interview but if hired a good sturdy construction type shoe is required. Timberland has a good variety for females.

I have about 10% of my workforce who are females and most can out work any male I have. Good luck!!!!!

M

macgirl

Macgirl.....The best thing you can bring to the interview is confidence. I do interviews every week to help determine who I want HR to hire for my hub. A firm hand shake when greeted, good eye-contact with the person interviewing you and a "I can do any job you have attitude" is the key. As far as steel toe shoes, not neccessay for the interview but if hired a good sturdy construction type shoe is required. Timberland has a good variety for females.

I have about 10% of my workforce who are females and most can out work any male I have. Good luck!!!!!

Thanks Feeder Hawgg.
I went to the interview and there were 4 other people there.
I wore semi formal clothes. Two other guy wore semi formal clothes too. The other two (one man, one woman) wore like 'ready to work' clothes.
I'm not worried about how I dressed and the interview went really well.
The only thing I worry about is that they all looked tough and strong and big. I was the only petite one (with only 155 inches tall/103 lbs). I've been working out (running, lifting weights) to prepare for this job. But the other candidates looked like they have bigger chances.
The HR guy told me that they were going to do a background check. It would take 1-2 weeks. He said not to be concerned and IF they think I was qualified for the job they would call me for a second interview.
Is it just a nice way for him to say, "Go find another job!"
What do you think my chances are?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I interviewed for casual driver, all they seemed to be interested in is if I could speak and had a pulse.....

We have one casual who mgt would prefer did not have the ability to speak. He has received more rude hourlies in his short career than most of the veterans have accrued in their collective careers. He spends most of his time in the hub driving a tug and is used only when absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
M

macgirl

ok so i got the job.
i work on small sort.

i have a question about the tuition help.
i'd have to take out student loan for this fall 08 because i don't have enough money to pay my tuition. my question is will UPS still reimburse it?

atatbl

ok so i got the job.
i work on small sort.

i have a question about the tuition help.
i'd have to take out student loan for this fall 08 because i don't have enough money to pay my tuition. my question is will UPS still reimburse it?

In essence, yes. But not directly. Take an education loan. It will be interest free until you graduate. Pay your tuition and then pass all your classes. After the semester, UPS will send you a reimbursement check. What you do with that money is up to you.

I would suggest, out of experience in making a bad financial decision, that you immediately pay back the loan. I don't know how long you have left in college, but don't say to yourself "Well, I still have two years until the interest starts..... so I will wait." Use the check to back back your loan right away.

M

macgirl

In essence, yes. But not directly. Take an education loan. It will be interest free until you graduate. Pay your tuition and then pass all your classes. After the semester, UPS will send you a reimbursement check. What you do with that money is up to you.

I would suggest, out of experience in making a bad financial decision, that you immediately pay back the loan. I don't know how long you have left in college, but don't say to yourself "Well, I still have two years until the interest starts..... so I will wait." Use the check to back back your loan right away.

thats what i plan to do.
i'll take out student loan for this fall 08 only then afterwards i'll be paying it from my pocket. then UPS will reimburse it.
i was just concerned that they wouldn't reimburse student loan.

upsgrunt

Or, if you want another opinion, take the reimbursement check and invest it in a mutual fund. Continue to take the student loans and pay for school and continue to put the reimbursement checks into the mutual fund. Six months after you graduate, cash out the mutual fund, pay off the student loans and pocket the interest you accrued from the mutual fund. You'd be surprised what that interest amount will/ could be.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Or, if you want another opinion, take the reimbursement check and invest it in a mutual fund. Continue to take the student loans and pay for school and continue to put the reimbursement checks into the mutual fund. Six months after you graduate, cash out the mutual fund, pay off the student loans and pocket the interest you accrued from the mutual fund. You'd be surprised what that interest amount will/ could be.

Excellent advice!!

atatbl

thats what i plan to do.
i'll take out student loan for this fall 08 only then afterwards i'll be paying it from my pocket. then UPS will reimburse it.
i was just concerned that they wouldn't reimburse student loan.

I think you get it, but just to be sure.... they won't ACTUALLY reimburse the loan. To put it in perspective, it wouldn't matter if you used drug money to pay the tuition up front or got it from a loan shark. UPS will have nothing to do with it. They WILL send you a check for the tuition you payed and that money is yours.

Also, if you are fiscally responsible then what UPSgrunt said would indeed be a great idea. However, I can say out of about 15 people that I new pretty well in college, only one of us would be able to pull this off. It takes discipline, patience, and an understanding of the consequences of messing it up.

It sounds great in theory, but there is a reason you can no longer default on student loans via bankruptcy. Just looking at basic statistics of our generations spending habits regarding college costs displays this pretty clearly. Over 95% of us miss payments even after we DO have GOOD paying jobs. To think there are more than 1% of us letting a couple grand mature in a fund (by our own doing) while we go through college is laughable.

Last edited:

drewed

Shankman
Yea, if your worried about the economy/ having the ability to touch the money, invest in treasury bonds/bills that way you can get a definit return/ and you wont be able to touch the money until it matures. You have optionsi 3/6 month bills 2/5/10 yr bonds with returns from 1.83 to 2.38%

atatbl

Yea, if your worried about the economy/ having the ability to touch the money, invest in treasury bonds/bills that way you can get a definit return/ and you wont be able to touch the money until it matures. You have optionsi 3/6 month bills 2/5/10 yr bonds with returns from 1.83 to 2.38%

Great idea. At least then you break even on it if you do pull early. You ARE able to cash bonds before their maturity date, you just won't get the full interest (or any on a short term bond). If you do let it mature, you just made some change by doing literally nothing :).