I just got fired for having a 1 min late air!

Loyal Teamster

Hello everyone, I just want to say that I am devastated by the decision that UPS made uppon me. A few ago I made a stupid mistake in wich I signed for packages and got caught. I was fired by the article 50 but I had my hearing and was able to get my job back. In order for me to get my job back UPS told me that I needed to sign an agreement witch it said that "any farther violations for the next year would result on my permanent termination from the company" but I refuse to sign because I did't like how it sounded, so I said no, I will not sign it. They said if you don't sign it then won't give you your job back, in other words I was forced to sign to keep my job. Just recently I had 1 late air by 1 minute 10:30 being the commit time and I verify the signature and closed it out at 10:31. I called my center to let them know that I had a late air but the next day I'm in the office with the building manager and my shop steward and he gave me article 7 wich means that I am fired but still allow to work until I get a hearing with the company. I had my hearing last week and yesturday I got the call from my local union saying that we lost the case and that I no longer work for UPS. I know I said in the beginning that I signed a agreement but that was for falsifying records and I am just furios that I lost my job for having a 1 minute late air. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO HAVE ANOTHER HEARING? TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK PLEASE. I HAVE A FAMILY THAT DEPENDS ON ME AND NOW I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!
Amazon Prime is hiring drivers

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I just can't believe that you were fired for a late air in a hearing.
Signing for packages is falsifying, a late air is a mistake.
A mistake that happens a hundred times a day.
I can't picture a hearing or panel terminating an employee for this. Just too many factors.
Sounds like it was your fourth one in a month, or you drove after scanning the air (which would become a falsifying, not a mistake)

Is a late air really a mistake?

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Hello everyone, I just want to say that I am devastated by the decision that UPS made uppon me. A few ago I made a stupid mistake in wich I signed for packages and got caught. I was fired by the article 50 but I had my hearing and was able to get my job back. In order for me to get my job back UPS told me that I needed to sign an agreement witch it said that "any farther violations for the next year would result on my permanent termination from the company" but I refuse to sign because I did't like how it sounded, so I said no, I will not sign it. They said if you don't sign it then won't give you your job back, in other words I was forced to sign to keep my job. Just recently I had 1 late air by 1 minute 10:30 being the commit time and I verify the signature and closed it out at 10:31. I called my center to let them know that I had a late air but the next day I'm in the office with the building manager and my shop steward and he gave me article 7 wich means that I am fired but still allow to work until I get a hearing with the company. I had my hearing last week and yesturday I got the call from my local union saying that we lost the case and that I no longer work for UPS. I know I said in the beginning that I signed a agreement but that was for falsifying records and I am just furios that I lost my job for having a 1 minute late air. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO HAVE ANOTHER HEARING? TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK PLEASE. I HAVE A FAMILY THAT DEPENDS ON ME AND NOW I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!
A little more to the story.
Screenshot_2016-06-23-06-25-18.png

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The word mistake means an error beyond one's control.

If the air is at the center on time it all should be delivered on time.
Here's the def -

an error in action, calculation, opinion, or judgment caused by poor reasoning, carelessness, insufficient knowledge,etc.

Not a fireable offense, add a few of them together and it can be

I'm glad to see UPS hired a perfect driver up in Plattsburg who has never delivered a late air. Good for my stocks.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
The word mistake means an error beyond one's control.

If the air is at the center on time it all should be delivered on time.

It's a mistake if the driver was set up to fail from the beginning of the day by a late preload operation, telling a sup you have too many airs and they won't pull any, leaving the building late, bad Orion setup and running straight airs and still can't make service.

It's a mistake and error but not on the driver in that case but on the ones in charge.

You'd be amazed how much it happens in big centers

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Here's the def -

an error in action, calculation, opinion, or judgment caused by poor reasoning, carelessness, insufficient knowledge,etc.

Not a fireable offense, add a few of them together and it can be

I'm glad to see UPS hired a perfect driver up in Plattsburg who has never delivered a late air. Good for my stocks.

Never said I have never had late air-----what I said was late air is not a mistake.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
I had late air 3 days in a row due to preload:burying air in a blown out load, loaded on the 4000 shelf and buried under a bulk stop on flr 3. Not pulled in the office once, communicate and you should have no problems

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Is a late air falsifying and worth a career loss ?
we can tell people here until you are blue in the face not to falsify, don't take shortcuts , don't run and gun, don't rush to make the bosses happy. but most people don't listen and find out the consequences the hard way.

we all keep trying to advise these people on the slimmest hope that maybe someone will listen. that's an idea for a thread. " Has any advice you received on the Brown Cafe actually helped you do your job better, safer , saved your job , saved your marriage , helped you get along with stupes, or in any other way ?"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I called it in and told them about the late air! I just cant believe that i was terminated for that!

Did you deliver any ground while delivering your air? Did you scan the air and then drive to the delivery location? Did you scan the air and sign for it yourself? Did you scan the air, big arrow down, put it in prerecord, took it out of prerecord, signature, clarify, stop complete, late air?

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Did you deliver any ground while delivering your air? Did you scan the air and then drive to the delivery location? Did you scan the air and sign for it yourself? Did you scan the air, big arrow down, put it in prerecord, took it out of prerecord, signature, clarify, stop complete, late air?

Sounds like you know all the things not to do.

:biggrin: