I know the magic number!

wornoutupser

My center has been hit with a large number of warning letters for back first exceptions.

Most of us have shown that we did indeed proceed in a forward motion but UPS claims that we did not.
The magic number of feet to proceed in a forward direction before a warning letter is issued is now 500 feet per the Division Manager of our area.

This is bullcrap!

jaker

trolling
Ok and your point is what , are you following Orion because it wants you to make a u turn the moment you take off to your next stop

And let them do whatever they want because if they try to fired or suspend you just pull up telematics and it will show you moving forward first

jaker

trolling
This is for backing and back first exceptions.
I know what you are talking about , a u turn in our trucks will give you back first first if you are truly right about 500'

And telematics can show everything you do and will prove you did your job right if they try to discipline you

Box Ox

500ft is what my center manager told our drivers but I don't believe it. Have backed far short of that and not shown up on any reports.

It is funny when management pushes backing into driveways over turning around in a nearby cul-de-sac to keep the miles down while also going after back firsts. "Sorry boss, that driveway before the cul-de-sac is only about 200 feet up the road!" Can't take a chance!

gbpackman29

Been hammering the back firsts here as well. Only difference is we have been told it's 300 ft. Numerous times over the last few wks. Just goes to show you they are making :censored2: up as usual.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I can't figure out how I can pull up telematics and see the exact point where a guy scanned the package and the exact point where he stop completed it, but we can't build the computers smart enough to figure out crap like this.

9.5 everyday

My center has been hit with a large number of warning letters for back first exceptions.

Most of us have shown that we did indeed proceed in a forward motion but UPS claims that we did not.
The magic number of feet to proceed in a forward direction before a warning letter is issued is now 500 feet per the Division Manager of our area.

This is bullcrap!
I thought it was 100'. But any way, management can't discipline based off telematics.

barnyard

KTM rider
My boss has PCMd 300 feet and 500 feet for back 1st exceptions. He said that they also know where the dock stops are that will cause exceptions because they are too close.

Overpaid Union Thug

This is bullcrap!
Many people are confused about what a back first exception actually is. It's called a back "first" to signify that a driver backed before completing the next stop. Not to signify that we got in the truck and went straight to reverse. The magic number, or threshold, needed to avoid it is the real problem. It's too long and corporate seems to want to keep it a secret. One of my sups told me that the big whigs in our district are keeping it from the CMs and OSRs.

I don't worry about avoiding back firsts but i heard one trick is to leave a stop and back like you normally would and then stop just shy of the next delivery point, shut the truck off, start it again, move forward a bit, then stop and make the delivery. Starting the truck again and turning it off apparently resets the timing and won't count the last back. Supposedly because no stop was completed after backing first.

Last edited:

DOK

Many people are confused about what a back first exception actually is. It's called a back "first" to signify that a driver backed before completing the next stop. Not to signify that we got in the truck and went straight to reverse. The magic number, or threshold, needed to avoid it is the real problem. It's too long and corporate seems to want to keep it a secret. One of my sups told me that the big whigs in our district are keeping it from the CMs and OSRs.

I don't worry about avoiding back firsts but i heard one trick is to leave a stop and back like you normally would and then stop just shy of the next delivery point, shut the truck off, start it again, move forward a bit, then stop and make the delivery. Starting the truck again and turning it off apparently resets the timing and won't count the last back. Supposedly because no stop was completed after backing first.
Huh

AKCoverMan

Most if not all of the rules/methods/keys/etc in a package car drivers job while often good intentioned are far too black and white. Working in the real world requires dealing with shades of grey.

Sometimes the safest, most practical way to make a delivery will register as a back first exception. I'd rather explain why my back avoided a risk of crash or injury than explain why I had a crash or injury while trying to avoid being on a report.

kingOFchester

They can't give warning letters based off of telematics reports. Well they can, but if your union is worth their salt, it won't stick. They would have to see you in action.

Last edited: