I Love Ups

blacknproud

I knew that title would draw some looks, even though my job is a major pain in the butt. What I made this past year almost 60k, didn't pay a dime for any insurance for me and my family, did decent with my 401k, pension is secure, up to 4 weeks of 50 hour vacations...not too bad considering all I have is a high school diploma.

On the other hand, the hours suck, most of the managment team are rude, ignorant and pig-headed. I honestly consider my career at UPS like prison I only have another 20 years to go, then I get paroled maybe if my 401k does better I might get released for good behavior, lol

Face it, it could be worse, it could be better too, I didn't have the means to goto college. Just some thoughts I had.....

F

Fozzy

If any of you reading this have a packing plant you deliver to, you will know what I mean when I get a reality check that my job isn't as bad as what those people do!!

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Could be the best job in the world but for some reason they push your buttons and come up with more little nitpicking rules to create more management jobs. You are not allowed to think and do the right thing to provide the best service to your customers. Have you ever told your boss of a idea that makes really good sense and they tell you it wont work and about a month later they come up with the same idea and pat themselves on the back for their great idea.
:biting:

#1angelfan

been there almost 10 years now all part-time. 9 years in preload and now in small sort. when i was in preload, there were days i hated to go to work, especially during peak, but now i don't mind a bit. i do miss my drivers though, and the tips i used to get at christmas. it really is a great company to work for. you can't get much better benefits anywhere else.:happy-very:

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
I love the weekends, vacations, holidays, and optional days. I'm not so thrilled with unrealistic expectations that have been derived by pen and paper by someone with little or no hands on experience. I greatly enjoy about 80% of the people on my route. I am proud to work beside some of the most hard working, honest and dependable people I have ever known. I am glad UPS gave me an opportunity after my military duty to work for and prove my mettle. I wish management would give more credence to drivers ideas and not just pay lip service. I'm thankful that my employer and union provide me with a pension after I retire. I agree things could be better and they could be worse. I wish as much good will to management as they do to me. I've known 3 center managers that were honest and upfront with me, I've had 11. I've come to work with backaches, headaches, and heartaches and got the the job done. And for that, I was criticized for not meeting standards and being too slow. It makes me sad that my employer can be so heartless at times. SO BE IT. They are not perfect nor am I. Thanks Brown cafe for letting me vent.:happy2:

satellitedriver

Thanks Brown cafe for letting me vent.:happy2:
It is a great pop-off valve.
I still contemplate why this site is so addictive to me.
After 10hr days, I still want to talk about UPS, to people I have never met.
Really kind of weird, but I gain enjoyment,enlightenment and relaxation after a long hard day, by reading and posting on BC.
PAX

AlaskaMike

I love my job. My worst day was when the manager who fired me (I didn't miss a day of work, lol) was made District Manager. My best day was when she quit without any notice less than a year later. The sups and managers who make you crazy will be replaced soon enough. It's your customers and co-workers that make this job worth it. Well, that and the vacations...

bad company

semi-pro
I came to UPS almost 30 years ago for a summer job.....Damn, when is summer finally going to be over?

I came to UPS while in college to earn some beer money working as a seasonal peak hire (driver helper). This is now my fourth peak (yes, nothing compared to you vets). However, I have a bad feeling that I'm going to end up like you big babooba...writing on browncafe 26 years later :knockedout:.

On a positive note, I have a kegerator in my house with plenty of beer for everyone! :jumping: