I was fired because a manager didnt like me (follow up)

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
Ok Ive gotta vent
First off Tieguy "a tattooed wearing hard head "
you wouldnt be stereo Typing me would you from a picture that may not even be of me ? Just where the hell did that come from , that description couldnt be any further from the truth , well the hard head part any way . But dont worry I`m used to being judged and stereotyped on a daily basis by people who dont know me.
2 calling each other Brother and Wanking off . We are all brothers in the eyes of the Lord my freind and I was being Sarcastic ( My spelling is awful you were right on the money there) when I said "Brother" in my post .
3 I am a good employee at UPS and have never hidden behind a brotherhood , I can stand on my own two feet , Ive never filed a greivence I often break my route, am well liked by my customers and until last year had an untarnished record , I came into work everyday i did the best job I could do and I took my job seriously but I was still terminated .
4 writeing letters to government agencys apparently does get you your job back and I had nothing else to do for 8 months so what the hell.
5 at least one of the sups in that room did back me up .
6 my little trick breaking off the bottle makes you doubt my decision makeing, perhaps you would have calmly walked to the first aid center and dislodged the taco with the anti chokeing device that is kept next to the eye wash and band aids well not me . UPS pays me to do a service they dont run my life and I`m not going to pass out on an office floor for them .
7 you failed to mention the fact that the center number changed since I was terminated and that I supplied you with the new number
8 Loose cannon , Dont judge a book by its cover
for someone as intellegent as yourself those were some very ignorent statements .

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
Oh yes I forgot the part about do some soul searching and change my ways , just what does that mean ? Because I drank a beer to clear my throat does not mean that I am a rageing alcoholic just like haveing tattoos does not make me a hard head. You dont know enough about me to make a statement like that, perhaps its you that should do the soul searching , I have more soul than James Brown , lol.

Cole

You did the right things to get your job back bro. Sometimes the union and company will do little until you make them, and show them you're not a push over.

As far as the 10 that didn't help that were in management, I have seen center manager's etc...force sups to write false stories just to make their case look better, and I have seen sup's fired for not towing the line. Also I have seen the union trade off grievances and sell certain people out, so it is important to learn your rights on each front.

Tie made some good points about the union's lack of help or concern and it should be a lesson to all to stay on your union rep's as we pay them to do a job, and should expect their most diligent efforts, as UPS expects from us etc...

The fact that you got hurt and they chose not to take you to the hospital but to get you to keep working tells us how concerned they are.

Good luck with your return to work, and your life in general, and do your best as always.

I think this applies to us all.

Mat 7:1 Judge not, that you be not judged.
Mat 7:2 “For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.
Mat 7:3 “Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?
Mat 7:4 “Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye?
Mat 7:5 “You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

Not trying to preach as we ALL are guilty of looking at others first and ignoring our own faults.

tieguy

Banned
Tie who peed in your cornflakes between post 10 and 19 ?

I stand by my original statement. You have to do some soul searching and figure out what you need to do different. there are still posters here that think you're a troll making this crap up. the reason being your explanation has been totally unbelievable. If you were a good driver you would not have been begging for your job. Figure out what you need to do to change your ways. You won't get anymore breaks.

tieguy

Banned
As far as the 10 that didn't help that were in management, I have seen center manager's etc...force sups to write false stories just to make their case look better, and I have seen sup's fired for not towing the line. Also I have seen the union trade off grievances and sell certain people out, so it is important to learn your rights on each front.

Not trying to preach as we ALL are guilty of looking at others first and ignoring our own faults.

Perhaps spare the rod spoil the child would also help. Your union does a poor job of addressing the issues that led to this guy getting fired. If he was a good driver he would not have been begging for his job.The union does not represent the good drivers. They represent the screw ups, malcontents and loose canons. I have never seen anyone coerced into making a false statement. but I have seen many , many drivers who had problems holding thierselves accountable. This guy needs to do some soul searching or he will get himself fired again. You as a steward don't do him any justice if you don't encourage some personal accountability.

Last edited:

Cole

Perhaps spare the rod spoil the child would also help. Your union does a poor job of addressing the issues that led to this guy getting fired.

No argument from there, that's why I gave him the info I did. Why wasn't he taken to the hospital when he was hurt, rather than get him to keep working? Management once again did a poor job by putting pkgs before people.

If he was a good driver he would not have been begging for his job.The union does not represent the good drivers. They represent the screw ups, malcontents and loose canons. I have never seen anyone coerced into making a false statement. but I have seen many , many drivers who had problems holding thierselves accountable. This guy needs to do some soul searching or he will get himself fired again. You as a steward don't do him any justice if you don't encourage some personal accountability.

Well if he was gulity they would have pushed it to arbitration, and of course that is all speculation on your part because you don't know him, yet you can say he was a bad driver? It could very well be that someone i.,e., the fired manager, didn't like UK's visible tatoos, or just wanted to hide the OSHA recordable injury, as alot of your side does.

No offense, but you wouldn't admit on here that you saw someone coersed into making a false statement, but I don't need validation from you because I have seen it. I have also had to represent a fellow driver while LP lied for 3 hrs. straight trying to prove our guy lied! When all was said and done our guy was being completley honest and LP was lying about the situation. The meeting was ajourned until the next day, "while they got the rest of the info" but once again they were lying, and didn't have the crust to continue the meeting the next day to at least apologize for making false accusations, or tell us that our guys story checked out, but that's typical.

I don't need to encourage him because he knows what he's got to do. It wasn't like he went out and maliciousley drank a beer and was drunk off his rear whooping and hollering, but drank to dislodge something he was choking on. From his story that was why they fired him, so I doubt he would do that again or anything similar. Again who got fired UK or the manager who had an integrity issue?

I know drivers, p-timers, and managers all who don't hold themselves to much accountability, but I can't force that on them, that's between them and their Maker:wink:

local804

The union does not represent the good drivers. They represent the screw ups, malcontents and loose canons. I have never seen anyone coerced into making a false statement. but I have seen many , many drivers who had problems holding thierselves accountable. This guy needs to do some soul searching or he will get himself fired again. You as a steward don't do him any justice if you don't encourage some personal accountability.

Does not represent the good drivers?

Many of the UPS favorites from time to time have went down the river. All I have to say is Farmingdale center and the people who know can agree. If the union dont represent the good drivers maybe they should think about an alternative.

tieguy

Banned

No offense, but you wouldn't admit on here that you saw someone coersed into making a false statement, but I don't need validation from you because I have seen it.

No but I also would not offer the point that I had never seen it if I had not. You folks tend to give an example of something and write it in the scrolls as being indicative of all management. It would be the same as me saying you steal from the pension funds simply because some union official somewhere did it once.

In the case the point is your one example of what you feel was a coerced confession is not the rule.

At this point you and shop stewards in general fail to do their job. They fail to counsel the driver and tell him he has his share of blame in this mess. They may alibi this by saying judge not less you be judged. In the process I feel they do a disservice to the driver. UK is acting like he thinks he fought a fight and won. read his signature line. In fact he probably got lucky and got his job back because of a procedural error. If he now goes back to work thinking he fought the evil company and won then he takes no accountability for his mistakes. You offer none less you be judged. In the process he then goes back thinking he is invincible and screws up again. He has some issues which is why they tried to dump him. Not becasue some guy walked in one day and decided he did not like uk.

scripture selectively applied does not heal the soul.

local804

absolutely. the good drivers rarely if ever need your help. the union is really there for the screw ups.

The "good guys" take union help from the second they step foot on the property. From the bid route they have to their 8 hours guaranteed payed day. Even with the union, UPS still plays its games with the "good guys"
Maybe without the union we all would work on Christmas as per company needs.

tieguy

Banned
The "good guys" take union help from the second they step foot on the property. From the bid route they have to their 8 hours guaranteed payed day. Even with the union, UPS still plays its games with the "good guys"
Maybe without the union we all would work on Christmas as per company needs.

those benifits negotiated for the common good and enjoyed by all. What the union is supposed to be about.

Fact remains that once your done negotiating you then go back to primarily representing the malcontents and screw ups. they are your job security steward. the attitudes , the cryers and whiners the guys who think they should wash a taco down with a beer.

hell I wish you guys would negotiate some language in the contract that says stewards will hold thier people accountable and make sure they represent union labor well. But even here you see a steward giving you the old its not my job to tell this union guy he screwed up line.

My father in law was a union electrician. They took pride in their labor. They bragged about providing the best labor in the industry. They would throw a guy off the job if that person did a ****ty job. Teamsters on the other hand have never sold the pride in workmanship and give you the judge not lest you be judged line when you bring it up.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
those benifits negotiated for the common good and enjoyed by all. What the union is supposed to be about.

Fact remains that once your done negotiating you then go back to primarily representing the malcontents and screw ups. they are your job security steward. the attitudes , the cryers and whiners the guys who think they should wash a taco down with a beer.

hell I wish you guys would negotiate some language in the contract that says stewards will hold thier people accountable and make sure they represent union labor well. But even here you see a steward giving you the old its not my job to tell this union guy he screwed up line.

My father in law was a union electrician. They took pride in their labor. They bragged about providing the best labor in the industry. They would throw a guy off the job if that person did a ****ty job. Teamsters on the other hand have never sold the pride in workmanship and give you the judge not lest you be judged line when you bring it up.

Good point, Tie. I bring up the poor quality of work and a steward gets p*ssy with me, telling me I know jack about good work. I wish stewards would stop trying to get some people their job back if they were fired for a reason. Unfortunately, that's not gonna happen, is it? :sad:. The poor quality workers, the lazies, etc give the union worker a bad image. I had a manager at a non-union company growl at me, "I friend*ing hate union companies." This was in Denver after our blizzards, by the way. I think it was because the news had announced UPS wouldn't work Christmas Eve. His explanation was somewhat related to the above. -Rocky

upsgrunt

Wasn't it Jim Casey himself who suggested and actually paved the way for UPS employees to become union members? I'm sure things have changed a little from the early 1900's, but we must remember that unionization is something our founder condoned. On the other hand, UPS basically forced Casey out so their attitude about the union would certainly not be in line with what Casey wanted; Heck, is what UPS is today anything what Casey would have wanted? A good start over would be to go back to what Casey did to make us great and move in that direction. Of course, this is just my opinion and does not represent the views of United Parcel Service.:wink: Nothing like a little legal jargon to end a post.:thumbup1:

tieguy

Banned
Wasn't it Jim Casey himself who suggested and actually paved the way for UPS employees to become union members? I'm sure things have changed a little from the early 1900's, but we must remember that unionization is something our founder condoned. On the other hand, UPS basically forced Casey out so their attitude about the union would certainly not be in line with what Casey wanted; Heck, is what UPS is today anything what Casey would have wanted? A good start over would be to go back to what Casey did to make us great and move in that direction. Of course, this is just my opinion and does not represent the views of United Parcel Service.:wink: Nothing like a little legal jargon to end a post.:thumbup1:

grunt I don't disagree. before this turns into a union vs non-union discussion thats not my intent. I do think at this point the advice this guy needs to hear from you stewards is that he has things he has to change in how he did his job. judge not les you be judged is not the answer if you want this guy to keep his nose clean in the future.

Cole

The union is liable if they don't represent people. So should we risk getting the union sued for breaching the duty of fair representation?

Tie what UK did that was wrong he knows, and doesn't need us to tell him, because as most cases/stories go we don't get all the facts, but even though I don't know him, I certainly hope he will do the job the right way, and not put his job in jeopardy. I don't know that I wouldn't take a swallow of whatever I could get my hands on if I was choking. Job or no job, because if I die my family sure would be in a mess.

As far as your statement about the pension etc...that doesn't apply, because I have no access to pension funds. Also, no I don't claim all managers are dishonest, but lets face it, it is very stressful, and many try to fudge numbers to stay afloat, and I have seen some people I really thought were good guys get caught for it.

So I only question does this company make it impossible for managers to do things right. Im my years at UPS (almost 20) I have seen 2 managers retire, the rest were fired or quit/resigned with the option of being fired etc...a couple did quit to go work elsewhere. Also alot of those fired are now big dogs at FedEx.

Back to accountability, I try to lead by example etc...because as the old saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink".

The facts are there is a massive corrosion of morals, family etc...in this country and world, and things have gotten so politically correct, you sort of have to walk on egg shells at times, so as Michael Savage says, "not to Offend anybody" except he draws out the offend. lol

In closing all I can say is the drivers I work with/represent are by and large honest hard working people, and only a couple have attendence issues. Usually if I think you are wrong I will tell you, but I can't make anybody do anything. For instance a young driver that crosses my route, I see him riding with his bulkhead door open, so I warned him about it, but he didn't listen and called me later to say lp stopped him for having it open.

I tell everyone do the methods, and do it they way they tell you, if there is something you feel is wrong ask, and people will help you or let you know if they taught you something incorrect, because many sup's only drove 30 days at most, and usually on a pie run.

Most people wait until something hits them before they get it.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I also agree that its bad drivers that need the union and do hide behind them , but theres always exeptions , Once in 15 years is not a bad track record

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
. there are still posters here that think you're a troll making this crap up. the reason being your explanation has been totally unbelievable. If you were a good driver you would not have been begging for [COLOR=#006600! important][FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][COLOR=#006600! important][FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]your [/FONT][COLOR=#006600! important][FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]job[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]. Figure out what you need to do to change your ways. You won't get anymore breaks.
I could be the best driver in the history of UPS , but if someone in upper management didnt like me , because he thought I was " a loose cannon " or a "hard head " or was possibly intimidated or thought that I didnt fit the Image of a good driver or for god knows whatever reason he could make it very difficult to get my job back. And for the record TieGuy I have 3 young children , 1 with a heart condition and that is the sole reason that I have ever swallowed my pride and Begged for anything in my entire life .

Raw

Raw Member
What to do if a person starts to choke : Do not give the person anything to drink because fluids may take up space needed for the passage of air.