I was part of this. I can only hope people will rally like they did then. It will happen again.

oldngray

nowhere special
Probably not feeling too much like Einsteins.

They are probably satisfied with those liberal arts degrees that give them a deep understanding of the meaning of the hole in the bagel.

Mr-Bagel-see-straight-thru-.jpg

Rainman

Its all good.
Yeah, that worked out just great didn't it.
UPS Teamsters are in much better shape now than before 1997 ... especially the part-timers.
The company got headlines overseas and a lot of attention from foreign company's when they found out just how big UPS was and how much of the US market it had. That was when our international package business took off. I'm that respect, the strike was a positive thing for the company.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The company got headlines overseas and a lot of attention from foreign company's when they found out just how big UPS was and how much of the US market it had. That was when our international package business took off. I'm that respect, the strike was a positive thing for the company.
Nice creative spin!

Rainman

Its all good.
Nice creative spin!
Not spin, just fact. The company lost money the quarter we had the strike, but AT LEAST the next 3 quarters we made record profit each quarter. It may have been more than that, but al least 3. I wouldn't want to go on strike again, it was scary enough back then, but we would have been worse off if we hadn't.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Not spin, just fact. The company lost money the quarter we had the strike, but AT LEAST the next 3 quarters we made record profit each quarter. It may have been more than that, but al least 3. I wouldn't want to go on strike again, it was scary enough back then, but we would have been worse off if we hadn't.

Sent using BrownCafe App
It was ,scary times. not knowing how long you would be off of work. but It needed to be done and I agree with you and hope it never happens again! I am still working off my beer gut from 1997!

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Unfortunately there will be a major confrontation in 2018 as UPS will have had 4 full years to get the kinks worked out of Orion and will use that along with the supporting technology to try to bust the union.

Healthcare was the big issue in 2013. This has been resolved thanks to the Union agreeing to take over our healthcare.

There would be zero support for a strike today and most likely in 2018.

200,000+ workers going on strike? Sorry company man, but no technology in the world can replace so many workers. UPS would be demolished before they replace all those workers.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
200,000+ workers going on strike? Sorry company man, but no technology in the world can replace so many workers. UPS would be demolished before they replace all those workers.

What happens to those 200,000 plus workers when UPS gets demolished?

No sweat to guy that unloads package cars a few hours a day. It means everything to a guy that feeds his children with these boxes.

Sent using a Potato

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
What happens to those 200,000 plus workers when UPS gets demolished?

No sweat to guy that unloads package cars a few hours a day. It means everything to a guy that feeds his children with these boxes.

Sent using a Potato

Didnt say it would be good for any of us. Just telling upstate that UPS would lose too, FEDEX would finally put the nail into UPS's coffin if they were smart.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Perhaps we should wait and see what things are like in 3 years? How much will insurance cost then?

Ron Carey lives on

If you look at the 97 contract, to the current contract. Hoffa has given back everything that we went on strike for. I was very proud to be apart of that great movement. 804 and 89 members are fighting for all of us right now, we have got to get behind them. Strikes and aggression is all Ups understands. We make their money, our hard work, our customer contact, the extra things we do to make Ups number 1. Not pencil pushers and bean counters in Atlanta. Ups is buying this union, and settling hoffa's debts. If we dont get actual Ups members moving up the ladder at the international, and get rid of hoffa/hall 2016, Ups will keep laughing in our face

Sent using BrownCafe App

Johney

You're assuming everyone strikes. That's highly unlikely, plenty will not strike and the longer it would go on more would likely cross. The problem I see is they would have to replace employees in a very short time as the longer it would take the more volume they would lose and probably never see again.