I wonder how many drivers have never used a clipboard

Big Babooba

Wasn't it "fun" using paper in the good old days? Sheeting while you walk; sheeting in the rain; changing pages and carbon paper-oh yes! Draw a line and circle the number of packages under it. Circle duplicate stops and uncollected CODs. And then they threw a monkey wrench into the whole thing and brought out the new delivery record pads.It's all coming back to me now. I think that I'll have myself committed. ARRRGH

softshoe

Wasn't it "fun" using paper in the good old days? Sheeting while you walk; sheeting in the rain; changing pages and carbon paper-oh yes! Draw a line and circle the number of packages under it. Circle duplicate stops and uncollected CODs. And then they threw a monkey wrench into the whole thing and brought out the new delivery record pads.It's all coming back to me now. I think that I'll have myself committed. ARRRGH

Up here in the "Northland", we use to keep our ink pens in the heater vents to keep the ink from freezing.

JustTired

free at last.......
One summer late afternoon, I was going down a backroad and hit a bump. The clipboard bounced out of the holder, went out the passenger door and immediately under the duals. When I looked in the mirrors the papers were flying everywhere. Some ended up in a ditch full of water and I couldn't retrieve them. I was sure most of my day was gone. When I gathered up what was left, I found I had every sheet in either original form or carbon. Boy........was that luck or what? The clipboard didn't fare as well. Broke in half and the clip was flat as a pancake.

Yeah.....those were good days.

Leftinbuilding

One summer late afternoon, I was going down a backroad and hit a bump. The clipboard bounced out of the holder, went out the passenger door and immediately under the duals. When I looked in the mirrors the papers were flying everywhere. Some ended up in a ditch full of water and I couldn't retrieve them. I was sure most of my day was gone. When I gathered up what was left, I found I had every sheet in either original form or carbon. Boy........was that luck or what? The clipboard didn't fare as well. Broke in half and the clip was flat as a pancake.

Yeah.....those were good days.

JustTired, I remember a fellow driver (now retired) who had an almost identical experience. Did you happen to drive in Calif?

Leftinbuilding

I remember having to total up the stops at the bottom of the page. Also had to add up CODs and match with your cash. I still have my first clipboard. Metal with worn/rounded corners.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We used to use 2 or 3 clipboards so when you switched delivery units you just switched boards. Had a few bounce out of the truck. Counting stops and pieces for each unit and recording on time card. Tallying up your COD's on the little sheet and counting cash. Ah, the good ole days.

I've only been with UPS for 13 years but my four years before that as a Christmas helper were full of shipper numbers and id #'s.

I miss the days of having thousands of dollars of cash in my pocket as well...

over9five

Staff member
Let's not forget the receivers first initial and last name on all those tear-off air labels!

I remember one business that got 50 a day. I'd line them up and sheet them while the receiver was right behind me filling in his name.

Leftinbuilding

Let's not forget the receivers first initial and last name on all those tear-off air labels!

I remember one business that got 50 a day. I'd line them up and sheet them while the receiver was right behind me filling in his name.

Are you talking about AODs ?( Acknowledgement of delivery)

Leftinbuilding

Don't know if this was company wide, but in our center we would take pkgs from non-shippers, take them to the center, weigh them and make up a bill to collect the next day.

Remember on Blue Labels you had to put an "a" in front of shipper no.

upsdude

Actually, I meant the old tracking labels that tore off the package and we had to turn in each night.

Ah yes, amazing how many NDA's you could deliver at 11:59 AM. Never once had a late air on paper!:w00t:

BTW, I still have my clip board in the garage.

browned_out

:laugh: Don't you remember having to tear off AOD's, Nda,2Day,Cod's labels and turning them in at night. It was a good time at night in the breakroom talking with the other drivers while you did all your paperwork.

Leftinbuilding

Remember the old P400s. Flat nosed little Grummans (I think). Had a tray in the cab for your next several stops. If you were over 5'5" tall, (I am 6'3") you bumped your head about 30 times a day. Most of them had about 18" play in the steering. Always an adventure.

Big Babooba

Remember the old P400s. Flat nosed little Grummans (I think). Had a tray in the cab for your next several stops. If you were over 5'5" tall, (I am 6'3") you bumped your head about 30 times a day. Most of them had about 18" play in the steering. Always an adventure.

When I started, we had some from the 50's with push button starters.

yeldarb

speaking of losing things out the passenger door while driving, I was driving a P10 and the engine cover rubber snaps (in front of gear stick, where the DVIR is kept) gave way, and immediately I was hit with hot engine wind that startled me, and before I could react, The whole plastic assembly went out the passenger door while doing 60. I was in the middle lane, and I did not dare look in my mirror to see what happened. I just kept driving. When I got back and told my manager what happened, they told to write it up in the dvir, and I told them, that book was gone too. THey didnt seem too concerned about it.

Just Lurking

The most important thing was that you could make stops up to help your planned day.

691-053 is probably one that in the midwest remembers. Can anybody name it off the top their head now.