I worked 13 hours this week

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Learn as many routes as you can. Get to know the senior drivers that don't mind taking a day now and then and learn their routes. If a junior driver came up to me and asked if he could run my route on say a Friday, I would be happy to hand him the DIAD, with management's consent, and start my weekend.

QKRSTKR

He can probably bump 2 part time jobs. But he's not guaranteed 40 if he is at the bottom. If he is on call without a start time and not worked Monday no guarantee. We have feeder drivers low on the on call board that dream of 40 a week right now.

Indecisi0n

I am a FT driver and haven't had the experience of being really laid off until this week. I am used to the occasional Monday off which is nice because I get a 3 day weekend, but only working 13 hours a week is brutal!

Not only is it financially tough, but I honestly get bored during the day when I run out of stuff to do. I hope the volume picks up next week lol
I guess you aren't getting to suck much clock lately.

brownstreak86

I am in the same boat. I worked 14 hours last week over two days. I am on call everyday, call in about 6 AM. They most often tell me to stay near my phone because the air is almost always late into my building and sometimes I have to run it 2 hours out to drivers! Is it okay for them to have me "On-Call"? Or should I be laid off when the schedule says "laid off"?
I can't bump into the building because I don't have seniority (I was hired on last November). I'm collecting unemployment, but its seriously like $150 a week, not really enough to get by on. I'm looking for some other jobs, and have picked up a few... but keeping my fingers crossed that it gets better soon. I'm guessing most drivers will be taking off a lot of time from March-September... so I hope its only a month or less of this.
On top of all this, they are trying to hire two more drivers! We don't have the work for me, and sometimes another 1-2 drivers... let alone two more! Crazy ole UPS.