IamFedExGround

CharleyHustle

I pay a neighbor kid $20 to cut my grass. After a while I tell him he needs to do the edging and sweep the sidewalk. Slowly but surely my grass looks like heck, the edging is sloppy the sidewalk is a mess and the tools aren't put away. Then after a stern talking to and finger waging my grass never gets cut at all, but my other neighbor's yard is looking great.

bbsam

Staff member
But if their workload goes up 30% while pay remains the same how proud will they be of their job?

Because when 3 routes grow 30% (probably before that) we put another truck on the road and reduce the work load. I see no need to run my guys like UPS drivers. I'm well established and don't need to run that hard.

CJinx

I pay a neighbor kid $20 to cut my grass. After a while I tell him he needs to do the edging and sweep the sidewalk. Slowly but surely my grass looks like heck, the edging is sloppy the sidewalk is a mess and the tools aren't put away. Then after a stern talking to and finger waging my grass never gets cut at all, but my other neighbor's yard is looking great.
Neighborhood kid is informed that his services are no longer required.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I said LEGITIMATE signatures. I've known of several Ground/HD drivers willing to get the shipper a signature even if they have to sign for a shipment themselves

Funny you should mention that. Just last night, we were talking about Express couriers who do the same thing.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Express has never had a courier fired for falsifying a signature? BS.
Sure they have and it's not even remotely tolerated. While Ground on the other hand, falsifying signatures is almost standard procedure regardless of what you claim.

bbsam

Staff member
Sure they have and it's not even remotely tolerated. While Ground on the other hand, falsifying signatures is almost standard procedure regardless of what you claim.

And you claim know this how? I think you are just making crap up.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I agree with him. I see Ground drivers doing lots of stuff they shouldn't. You get exactly what you pay for, and that's why the Ground driver pulls into residentials hood-first, leaves the engine running, and does whatever they need to to get rid of the pkg, whether or not it's by the book. The Ground driver in my area frequently fakes signatures and told me he did so at lunch(he seldom even takes a lunch) one day. When I pointed the obvious risks out to him, he said he didn't care because the time he saved allowed him to get done sooner (he's a flat rate driver). In others words, he was willing to take the chance of getting canned.

HomeDelivery

When I pointed the obvious risks out to him, he said he didn't care because the time he saved allowed him to get done sooner (he's a flat rate driver). In others words, he was willing to take the chance of getting canned.

wait a minute, if he's flat rate, he should have coded it a 07 and slapped one of those "We're sorry we missed you" doortags...

i can understand where this comes to play when that person gets paid by-the-stop, but he's getting paid either way if he didn't get a sig
:weird: that's just being lazy to just come back to the same address for a 2nd attempt the next day.

that new option for a customer to hold-at-location to the nearest FedEx Office is getting more popular for sig-required parcels; i've been delivering 1/2 a dozen to local ex-Kinko's locations daily.

-----------------------------------------------
slightly off topic:

I had a few complaints where a driver "faked" going to a customer's address; he would scan it code 07 scan one of those long doortags & toss it. They were hard to find addresses or misplots that i've caught with my portable GPS units (i'm using 2 at the same time)

Cactus

Why would I want to make this "crap" up? I've been told by more than several Ground drivers that they do this. I've also have seen a Ground drivers leave stuff like alcohol shipments, amunition, Bose wave radios, computers etc. All signature required shipments. Maybe you and other contractors should watch your help more closely.

bbsam

Staff member
You make it up because you hate Ground. At the very least you spread unverifiable stories. If any driver made this a regular habit it would come to light quickly and he would be fired. How many sig req boxes with disputed sigs do you think Fedex and the contractor will put up with? Especially with things like alcohol, fedex would stand to lose some pretty important liscansing.

Cactus

You make it up because you hate Ground. At the very least you spread unverifiable stories. If any driver made this a regular habit it would come to light quickly and he would be fired. How many sig req boxes with disputed sigs do you think Fedex and the contractor will put up with? Especially with things like alcohol, fedex would stand to lose some pretty important liscansing.
Duh-nile. OK. Don't believe me and I'll sleep fine tonight. If you wanna turn a blind eye that's fine too. Oh and my sincere apologies for not worshiping Ground.

bbsam

Staff member
Duh-nile. OK. Don't believe me and I'll sleep fine tonight. If you wanna turn a blind eye that's fine. Oh and my sincere apologies for not worshiping Ground.

I don't believe you. But what does it matter? You don't think Mr. Jones getting a sig req package is going to raise hell wwhen he tracks a package from work and sees he signed for it at home? You just fall into that group of people who believe what they want to believe no matter what the facts say. And no need to worship. Just send the volume.

Borderline 9.5

I have a business that opens at 10:30 and the ground driver leaves packages there all the time because he's there before they open. I always thought that's the way you guys did it. I'm in the area the area the same time he is but have to return and make an attempt before they close at 4:00

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have a business that opens at 10:30 and the ground driver leaves packages there all the time because he's there before they open. I always thought that's the way you guys did it. I'm in the area the area the same time he is but have to return and make an attempt before they close at 4:00

What do you mean "leaves"? Are you saying he DR's the packages at a closed business?

thedownhillEXPRESS

What do you mean "leaves"? Are you saying he DR's the packages at a closed business?

I see it all the time myself.
my favorite is when they leave a big pile of packages outside or downstairs from where they belong because they are either too lazy, or because they know they are at the wrong spot and want to get rid of them before the business owner comes out to yell at them.
I get yelled at all the time for stupid a** stuff the ground gypsies do.