IBT on the cameras

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Yesterday I called the IBT to discuss the cameras. A secretary took my info and a rep called me within a couple hours. The news is very encouraging!

He said that arbitration for the Local 988 grieve will begin in Sept and the International is confident they'll win. The company has refused to bargain. "But win or lose, the cameras are among the top 5 issues in the 2023 contract, and trust me, we will fight tooth and nail over it." He agreed w me that the company's plan all along has been to eventually turn on the driver-facing camera and microphone.

He also they'll be updating us on the arbitration and other important news.

We also discussed getting the rank and file more involved. I told him about the promising efforts at my building. Like O'Brien, the rep was saying the right things. "Too many members view the union as a 3rd party, but you're right, the union is the members -- it's you guys -- and we want you all to be involved."

I understand bitterness among my fellow Teamsters, but bad leadership at any level of the union reflects weakness in the rank and file. It won't be easy, but it's time for us to band together over common issues and turn this union into the strong and proud brotherhood it once was.
We will see…

UnionStrong

I believe we have a decent chance of winning the case in regards to the in Cab camera, not nearly as confident for the forward facing camera. Anyone’s confidence as to an arbitrators decision is suspect at best. I don’t trust them.
The forward facing camera may be an insurance driven idea. Decrease accident liability.

Whither

Scofflaw
We will see…
I'm not a sucker. The point is, if we can revive this union at the rank and file level, then we can hold the new IBT administration accountable if they get "cold feet". I know the Teamsters United slate has had deep ties to the sorry Hoffa Jr administration.

And until we see results we'll be driving under the gaze of these damn cams (ugh!). All we have are promises right now ...

UnionStrong

I'm not a sucker. The point is, if we can revive this union at the rank and file level, then we can hold the new IBT administration accountable if they get "cold feet". I know the Teamsters United slate has had deep ties to the sorry Hoffa Jr administration.

And until we see results we'll be driving under the gaze of these damn cams (ugh!). All we have are promises right now ...
I’m afraid the economy will be the deciding factor. Camera’s may be the least of the problems.

Whither

Scofflaw
I’m afraid the economy will be the deciding factor. Camera’s may be the least of the problems.
Well we've already got a good start at organizing the ranks in my building. I'm not gonna let my foot off the gas.

"The economy" will always be the deciding factor as long as us working stiffs tuck our tails between our legs.

The cameras are a matter of personal dignity. They're an assault on our privacy.

UnionStrong

Well we've already got a good start at organizing the ranks in my building. I'm not gonna let my foot off the gas.

"The economy" will always be the deciding factor as long as us working stiffs tuck our tails between our legs.

The cameras are a matter of personal dignity. They're an assault on our privacy.
I certainly wouldn’t want a camera on me all day.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
We all know what the inward facing cameras will be used for. Harassment. Maybe not on you or me but any time they want someone gone it will be the first avenue they go down.

MAKAVELI

We all know what the inward facing cameras will be used for. Harassment. Maybe not on you or me but any time they want someone gone it will be the first avenue they go down.
If they are like the ones FedEx is using, they are your telematics on steroids. They use AI to monitor seat belts, bulkhead doors, eye movement, hand placement, electronic devices, head movement, speed, braking, sudden evasive maneuvers, drinking or eating. packages in the cab, and probably other factors not listed. We actually get scored on a daily basis from these cameras. To me it's going way too far as using AI technology to spy and grade one's driving.

Whither

Scofflaw
If they are like the ones FedEx is using, they are your telematics on steroids. They use AI to monitor seat belts, bulkhead doors, eye movement, hand placement, electronic devices, head movement, speed, braking, sudden evasive maneuvers, drinking or eating. packages in the cab, and probably other factors not listed. We actually get scored on a daily basis from these cameras. To me it's going way too far as using AI technology to spy and grade one's driving.
It's the Lytx Drivecam. As far as I know it's the same thing as y'all are using.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
It's the Lytx Drivecam. As far as I know it's the same thing as y'all are using.
I saw someone post a picture of that in one of our tractors.

All of our older tractors were retrofitted with Bendix outward facing cameras as part of a collision mitigation system. The newer macks and kenworths come with the same thing built in.

The new Freightliner tractors come with Detroit assurance collision mitigation outward facing cameras and radar. You can see on them where the inward facing cameras would go but they're not there.

I've heard the sleeper rentals have the inward facing Detroit assurance cameras but there is no discipline for covering them. I also heard of termination after an accident for covering the outward facing cameras..... the sleeper teams don't like them because they beep really loud at you for following distance, which can wake up the other driver..... hence why someone covered them and paid the price.

I'll also say, the Detroit assurance system comes with an option for lane keep assist, literally steering the tractor. Automated trucks are coming. The company is testing all of this stuff. The union needs to get it's head out of it's ass.

Whither

Scofflaw
The union needs to get it's head out of it's ass.
Great info in that post, thanks brother!

I totally agree w your conclusion. It's up to people like us to make that happen. We gotta do as much as we can to reach our brothers and sisters. Otherwise the union's gonna keep slowly dying ...

ManInBrown

I saw someone post a picture of that in one of our tractors.

All of our older tractors were retrofitted with Bendix outward facing cameras as part of a collision mitigation system. The newer macks and kenworths come with the same thing built in.

The new Freightliner tractors come with Detroit assurance collision mitigation outward facing cameras and radar. You can see on them where the inward facing cameras would go but they're not there.

I've heard the sleeper rentals have the inward facing Detroit assurance cameras but there is no discipline for covering them. I also heard of termination after an accident for covering the outward facing cameras..... the sleeper teams don't like them because they beep really loud at you for following distance, which can wake up the other driver..... hence why someone covered them and paid the price.

I'll also say, the Detroit assurance system comes with an option for lane keep assist, literally steering the tractor. Automated trucks are coming. The company is testing all of this stuff. The union needs to get it's head out of it's ass.
The lane assist in new vehicles is awful. Got a loaner car when I brought my 2019 in for an oil change and the loaner had it. It’s almost violent keeping you in the lane. When I brought the loaner back they said everyone complains. There’s a way to turn it off but I wasn’t aware of that. I’m sure if we get them in tractors they won’t be able to be disabled. It was very disconcerting to drive with.

UnionStrong

The lane assist in new vehicles is awful. Got a loaner car when I brought my 2019 in for an oil change and the loaner had it. It’s almost violent keeping you in the lane. When I brought the loaner back they said everyone complains. There’s a way to turn it off but I wasn’t aware of that. I’m sure if we get them in tractors they won’t be able to be disabled. It was very disconcerting to drive with.
Mine is turned off at all times.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
My wife's car has it. It can be jarring at first. It's pretty good for interstate driving, but it really hugs the far side of a lane, to the point where you can tell it makes other drivers nervous. Every manufacturer will be different.

In terms of feeder jobs, I'm more concerned about platooning, where there's a lead driver with one or more "self" driving vehicles following. Pseudo-automation that would be much more regulation friendly, and also eliminate a lot of jobs.

Tesla's semis have that tech.

Beezer

Only at UPS do you have to pass a state certification which includes all kinds of online courses that you have to ace along with passing a ride along with the state that gives you the pass to be CDL certified. Then you have to take a ride along with a UPS supervisor for weeks to get passed by them. Then you have to do the 10-15 safety training courses on the computer every year so that UPS can completely cover their ass incase anything goes wrong and blame the driver. Then we got Telematics that monitor everything that goes on electronically in your vehicle...and NOW they want a camera in your face for your 10-12 hour workday. Yea totally not harassment, or over-supervising or micromanaging. We are literally the safest people on the road.