IBT on the cameras

Trucker Clock

Check your state laws. They can not record audio here.

Not true. They can if you give consent.

They will tell you that the cameras are recording, so that when you get into your vehicle, you are giving implied consent..

The other option would be for you to refuse to drive your truck and do your job.

How do you think that’s going to go?

542thruNthru

Not true. They can if you give consent.

They will tell you that the cameras are recording, so that when you get into your vehicle, you are giving implied consent..

The other option would be for you to refuse to drive your truck and do your job.

How do you think that’s going to go?
I disagree. I'm with in my rights to not be recorded. Like I said before being audio recorded is not a condition of employment and its also a extra contract agreement.

If I was to be fired for refusing to be recorded I have a wrongful termination suit. This has already been discussed with our locals labor lawyer when the cameras were put in.

Thebrownblob

I disagree. I'm with in my rights to not be recorded. Like I said before being audio recorded is not a condition of employment and its also a extra contract agreement.

If I was to be fired for refusing to be recorded I have a wrongful termination suit. This has already been discussed with our locals labor lawyer when the cameras were put in.
Same with ours, but will you win it? And how many people are going to be willing to go through that? I had a problem getting people just to come in on Saturday when they tried to force everyone, the excuses were insane.

Thebrownblob

I think UPS would love to terminate people and have court cases, that could drag out for years, that way they can single people out. While most people will just go along with it. Our very best option is if we win the arbitration case. Second best is if we lose the arbitration case we negotiate in the next contract and all agree to walk out together if the company will not negotiate with us

542thruNthru

Same with ours, but will you win it? And how many people are going to be willing to go through that?
Work first file later.

No one is going to walk out but you file the grievance and then if that doesn't work you file a lawsuit.

If someone does want to go all the way they could file a wrongful termination lawsuit and more than likely win.

Let's put it this way. There is no safety reason to record conversations in the truck. It can also be turned on or off at will by the 3rd party that UPS is paying. It's also against the NLRA.

Let's also say they put a camera in every single room other than bathrooms inside UPS facilities. Now your LP or disciplinary conversations are recorded. You're telling me because of "implied" consent that there would be nothing you could do about it because it's either allow it or be fired?

Sorry it's not true here. This isn't a telemarketing phone call. Implied consent wouldn't cut it.

542thruNthru

I think UPS would love to terminate people and have court cases, that could drag out for years, that way they can single people out. While most people will just go along with it. Our very best option is if we win the arbitration case. Second best is if we lose the arbitration case we negotiate in the next contract and all agree to walk out together if the company will not negotiate with us
Video has much different rules then audio. They want to drag it out that's fine. It's $2,500 per conversation recorded per person in California.

So let's say you work 200 days a year. That's $500,000 per person in California per year.

Pretty sure ups would rather not record audio and settle the issue before hand then just say "screw it we'll fire a few drivers and drag this out and cross our fingers."

Last edited:

Thebrownblob

Video has much different rules then audio. They want to drag it out that's fine. It's $2,500 per conversation recorded per person in California.

So let's say you work 200 days a year. That's $500,000 per person in California per year.

Pretty sure ups would rather not record audio and settle the issue before hand then just say "screw it well fire a few drivers and drag this out and cross our fingers."
LOL the one time California has something good!

Trucker Clock

I’m not saying right now. I’m saying if the Arbitrator sides with UPS or if is contained in the next contract.

They can then record you. There is no California Law to stop them.

542thruNthru

I’m not saying right now. I’m saying if the Arbitrator sides with UPS or if is contained in the next contract.

They can then record you. There is no California Law to stop them.
There is a California law to stop them from recording audio. I'm not talking about video. If they want to turn the video on in the cab then yes you're right there is no CA law that stops them.