IBT on the cameras

Whither

Scofflaw
Yesterday I called the IBT to discuss the cameras. A secretary took my info and a rep called me within a couple hours. The news is very encouraging!

He said that arbitration for the Local 988 grieve will begin in Sept and the International is confident they'll win. The company has refused to bargain. "But win or lose, the cameras are among the top 5 issues in the 2023 contract, and trust me, we will fight tooth and nail over it." He agreed w me that the company's plan all along has been to eventually turn on the driver-facing camera and microphone.

He also they'll be updating us on the arbitration and other important news.

We also discussed getting the rank and file more involved. I told him about the promising efforts at my building. Like O'Brien, the rep was saying the right things. "Too many members view the union as a 3rd party, but you're right, the union is the members -- it's you guys -- and we want you all to be involved."

I understand bitterness among my fellow Teamsters, but bad leadership at any level of the union reflects weakness in the rank and file. It won't be easy, but it's time for us to band together over common issues and turn this union into the strong and proud brotherhood it once was.

Whither

Scofflaw
That's encouraging but I'm not going to hold my breath.
No need to, we've got our own efforts to make. Here we've got weekly meet-ups going before and after work, at a coffee shop and a bar near the building. Drivers are showing and it's a good start. About 1/5th of my center showed last week. We've already had plenty of good discussions.

I've talked with a couple younger drivers who didn't even know that we *might* strike in 2023. Each basically said, "Thanks for letting me know, I'll start saving in case we do." The little things count, and it's at least a chance to make ties w coworkers outside our own cliques.

No need to, we've got our own efforts to make. Here we've got weekly meet-ups going before and after work, at a coffee shop and a bar near the building. Drivers are showing and it's a good start. About 1/5th of my center showed last week. We've already had plenty of good discussions.

I've talked with a couple younger drivers who didn't even know that we *might* strike in 2023. Each basically said, "Thanks for letting me know, I'll start saving in case we do." The little things count, and it's at least a chance to make ties w coworkers outside our own cliques.
Our BA has been telling these guys all year to start saving some money

Last edited:

Whither

Scofflaw
Imagine the impact of a strike. We do NOT have the support of the American consumer like we did in the 90s. People need their Airpods, Hello Fresh boxes and chocolate-flavored :censored2:s and they need them NOW.
Eh, you think if we struck that working conditions wouldn't be front and center? I talk w plenty of customers on my route, resi and business. A lot of people already know our job isn't a cup of tea. I'm always vocal about the company's latest shenanigins.

Whither

Scofflaw
I also think the current IBT leadership has the savvy to draw the ties between our fight and any working person's issues at work. Companies have become arrogant; people know that.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Eh, you think if we struck that working conditions wouldn't be front and center? I talk w plenty of customers on my route, resi and business. A lot of people already know our job isn't a cup of tea. I'm always vocal about the company's latest shenanigins.
Just have the news lady open the bulkhead door when it is 85 degrees. Put a thermometer in there and put it on the news.

Whither

Scofflaw
Just have the news lady open the bulkhead door when it is 85 degrees. Put a thermometer in there and put it on the news.
Yep. In the summer I regularly talk w customers about the cargo area. I call it the death zone.

Honestly it seems to me that people know that UPS is hard work. And don't forget there are a lot of ex-preloaders out there. I've met plenty in my first year on this route. They know what the company's like haha

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Yesterday I called the IBT to discuss the cameras. A secretary took my info and a rep called me within a couple hours. The news is very encouraging!

He said that arbitration for the Local 988 grieve will begin in Sept and the International is confident they'll win. The company has refused to bargain. "But win or lose, the cameras are among the top 5 issues in the 2023 contract, and trust me, we will fight tooth and nail over it." He agreed w me that the company's plan all along has been to eventually turn on the driver-facing camera and microphone.

He also they'll be updating us on the arbitration and other important news.

We also discussed getting the rank and file more involved. I told him about the promising efforts at my building. Like O'Brien, the rep was saying the right things. "Too many members view the union as a 3rd party, but you're right, the union is the members -- it's you guys -- and we want you all to be involved."

I understand bitterness among my fellow Teamsters, but bad leadership at any level of the union reflects weakness in the rank and file. It won't be easy, but it's time for us to band together over common issues and turn this union into the strong and proud brotherhood it once was.
So spend some money on camera's so Teamsters have to give something up in negotiations to get rid of them.

Box Ox

He agreed w me that the company's plan all along has been to eventually turn on the driver-facing camera and microphone.

Camera’s already on.

Driver facing cameras in the cab | UPS Discussions

EA169FE9-F42D-4997-8790-8B446768178A.jpeg

Non sequitur

So spend some money on camera's so Teamsters have to give something up in negotiations to get rid of them.
Camera's in exchange for 50% cut in management, 3% + CPI yearly, and a UAW style bonus pegged to profits. Information from technology to be used for coaching purposes only.

Pullman Brown

At least build the future packages trucks with a little common sense. Vents, fans, some type of ventilation back there. If you’re going to watch us all day at least let it be in the back of a 90 degree package car and not 120!

One day at a time

In my opinion they are going to replace us.their attitude will be take it or leave it,Orion and diad mess6 will allow a rookie or 2 to get the same job done cheaper. I hope not but we will see.