Idiots fired.

W

want to retire

We have folks admit stealing time right here on BC and boast about it. Something about it being "different" in a small center......BTW- I noticed they haven't commented on this thread.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Back in the mid 80s we had one fired for working at a Motel 8 while on the clock. Ken would burn up the route in a P-500, and got filmed cutting the grass while wearing his Browns. He was warned several times, final straw was when our Center Manager walked into the motel one day and caught him working behind the front desk.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I think our recent was a driver who had a bit of short fuse. They kind of tried to push him to blow his top and one day a sup was getting in his face and the driver poked the sup (pretty hard) and pushed him back a bit and the sup had him fired on the spot for his aggressive behavior.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Our shop steward was selling things on eBay and providing free NDA shipping by slipping them into his load with ASDs, one guy used the gas card to fill his own vehicle 300 miles away on a Sunday (caught to the tune of almost $7000), and one guy who didn't report his DWI until after the new steward told him that, yes, he did have to fill out the federal motor vehicle certification. He had been driving suspended for almost 3 months.

I've seen the ASD thing several times. Why do people think they found some foolproof way to cheat the Company? I sell on eBay and ship all the time but I just use my UPS account like everybody else. You should pass that cost onto the buyer anyway.

I had one guy who was taking Big Bertha drivers from one of his customers & throwing them out the back door to a pawnshop on his route. Bright Boy he was for sure, I heard he served some time for that one.

In the old days you used to be able to bust your ***** and take a long lunch until pickups started, sad to hear those days are gone.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Back in the mid 80s we had one fired for working at a Motel 8 while on the clock. Ken would burn up the route in a P-500, and got filmed cutting the grass while wearing his Browns. He was warned several times, final straw was when our Center Manager walked into the motel one day and caught him working behind the front desk.

Wow, it takes a special person to be quite THAT dumb

OldManAllowance

Back in the early 80's, we had a driver who had a very late night the day before. He lived on route so he took his lunch early in is day and took thought he would sleep for his hour. He woke up around 3pm. Had next to nothing delivered. Of course he already had an attendance problem, so that was it.

DS

Fenderbender
Don't forget Klein,he got fired for taking his break at the end of the day at a Boston pizza.
His sup showed up and fired him right there.Bad judgement on Klein's part,but obviously,
he was fired because some sup didn't like him.
He most likely would've got his job back,but he went the Bretzel bun hot dog cart route.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We had a part time sup fired for stealing weapons at Christmas time. Dumb-a@@ tried to pawn them

We had a part-time supervisor fired for throwing 140-160 handguns over the fence over a period of time. He was selling them in the housing projects on the side. After that is when UPS started wanting them shipped NDA.

Returntosender

Employee smoking weed on property(parking lot), employee got arrested, on friday, spent the several hours in jail. On Monday HR manager took employee to company doctor for piss test. Several days later results were negative. Employee was reinstated, with the clause that random drug willl be done.

brown67

Best firing story by an idiot supervisors. Older driver was telling us this story. Happened back in the days before nda and having to take lunch between 3rd and 6th hour. Driver has a route at south end of town. Preload sup puts a 15 stop split on the north end of town on him. Way off his route. First and only time this had ever happened. So driver goes to the North part of town and delivers split and stops at a nice diner for breakfast. On car supervisor doesn't know about the split and drives by diner and sees driver there. Sup stops walks in and fires the driver for being out of area. Driver gives the sup his keys and walks back to the center and takes the rest of the day off. Goes in next morning files a grievance for his job and pay, which he gets. On car is furious at him, asked him why he didn't tell him about that split. Driver says, "you never asked."

OptimusPrime

In the old days before the DIAD there were a couple of drivers who would kill themselves to get thru by lunch,then spend the afternoon hiding out reading the paper,and farking off. it was all well and good until one of the drivers had a breakdown and was caught 15 miles off area with forged records

Minus the firing part, have heard similar stories from some of the older guys. "Hell yeah man, would bust my ass til noon, then go home, grab a 4 hour nap, then do a couple of deliveries, then head in". Either these guys were Superman, or dispatch was a helluva lot lighter back then.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
BTW, a New Mexico Supervisor was caught filling his car at the Company pumps and he wasn't fired....

From the Should have been Fired File: When I was a young pup swing driver I would cover a route that would take me until 9 pm while the regular driver did the same work and was done by 6. I never figured out what the problem was until someone told me he would pre-sheet 40-60 stops in his neighborhood and have his wife deliver them. He was fired later when he was back in management though, probably for cheating on something else.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We had an on-car sup get whacked for helping himself to the Oxycontin that we deliver to the injured veterans in those Next Day Air sig required pkgs from the VA. Pure genius.

rod

Retired 22 years
We had a feeder driver fired for carrying on an affair with a preachers wife in a gravel pit in the cab of his tractor. He was marking it down as a legitimate break and it wasn't off his route so he probably could have got his job back but he didn't fight it. Last I heard he had got a divorce and so had the preachers wife.

menotyou

bella amicizia
We had an Metro sup fired for theft. He would take the post carded stuff and put it in an air truck, then drive it to his house and unload. I have a girlfriend who lives in an older folks apt building across the street from the kid. She would mention he was at his house a lot, but I never thought anything of it. I was friends with him outside of work and wondered where he was getting the money for the new x-box, laptop and big screen. I never dreamed he was stealing. I, actually, thought he might be dealing or something. He didn't fake any disposition of the packages. Just stole them. I asked him afterwards what the heck he was thinking. He didn't really have an answer.

bbsam

Staff member
We had a million dollar security camera system installed last year. Everybody watced the technicians bring in the equipment, run conduit, set up cameras, etc for a week straight. Think that kept one of my drivers from reaching through a check in window and stealing her exboyfriend's phone? Of course not. Our senior manager called me and said we had a problem and told me about the security tape. I replied, "That doesn't sound like a problem, sounds like a termination." Not all turnover is bad turnover.

laffter

We had a feeder driver fired for carrying on an affair with a preachers wife in a gravel pit in the cab of his tractor. He was marking it down as a legitimate break and it wasn't off his route so he probably could have got his job back but he didn't fight it. Last I heard he had got a divorce and so had the preachers wife.

1) The words 'gravel pit' make sense to me. A pit full of gravel, ok. What the hell is a 'gravel pit' when it comes to a truck? Don't use phrases most people in your target audience won't understand. We aren't all truckers, or rednecks.
2) I can't figure out what he did wrong here. Was he taking multiple breaks? He was marking THIS down as a legitimate break... was he taking another break? What is it of UPS's business what an employee does on their break, as long as it doesn't violate the contract or 'company policy'?

W

want to retire

1) The words 'gravel pit' make sense to me. A pit full of gravel, ok. What the hell is a 'gravel pit' when it comes to a truck? Don't use phrases most people in your target audience won't understand. We aren't all truckers, or rednecks.
2) I can't figure out what he did wrong here. Was he taking multiple breaks? He was marking THIS down as a legitimate break... was he taking another break? What is it of UPS's business what an employee does on their break, as long as it doesn't violate the contract or 'company policy'?

Well, I'm a feeder driver......not a redneck.....but you don't know what a gravel pit is?..........a place where they mine(dig) gravel? It could have been a truck stop or the church's parking lot.......anywhere.

I think they got him for "doing it" in the truck(company property). Is this really a mystery to you?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
1)

You are not allowed to have sex with anyone in the cab or rear of your truck. In fact, you cannot have ANYONE in the truck who is not a UPS employee except in caes of emergency.