Idle time

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
T5544.png
antiidlesign.jpg

I've been idling most of my lunch for most of the winter and not a damn has been given.

Last edited:

Cementups

Box Monkey
I totally agree. I can't sit in that truck for my lunch /break. I don't know how guys can do it.

As I told the guy who just trained me on my new route, "That's an hour away from my office. I don't even want to look at that truck for that hour, never mind be in it. If you had a desk job, would you want to sit at your desk and eat your lunch?"

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1424057708.429366.jpg
i have about twenty minutes of idle time after the PCM every morning. My P700 is blocked in by bigger cars and I can't move until most of the other drivers leave.

ManInBrown

I totally agree. I can't sit in that truck for my lunch /break. I don't know how guys can do it.
Sure. If one has his or her own route. They have a relationship with customers. They can eat in a business break room or something along those lines. As a cover driver I have zero relationships with customers. Two, three, sometimes four different routes per week. And now I just started bringing my lunch again. I hate eating out. I have no idea if employees where I buy lunch are washing their hands after they use the bathroom. I used to buy lunch everyday. Caught a bad bug a few months ago. Have a feeling it was from eating out. Someone at one of those places went to the restroom and didn't wash up afterwards. Then made my lunch. No more eating out for me.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
View attachment 28237i have about twenty minutes of idle time after the PCM every morning. My P700 is blocked in by bigger cars and I can't move until most of the other drivers leave.
You leave it running in the building that long? Eek. As I sort my air every morning I'm choking from the exhaust of the other trucks idling inside. I don't idle until I get outside then do the rest of my pre-trip.

rod

Retired 22 years
I don't idle. I eat inside a nice warm building of my choice.

I used to eat in a nice warm restaurant/fast food joint and still let the truck idle. I hated having to jump back in a cold truck after lunch. One of the advantages of small town delivery.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I used to eat in a nice warm restaurant/fast food joint and still let the truck idle. I hated having to jump back in a cold truck after lunch. One of the advantages of small town delivery.

It's unbelievable how quick these trucks lose heat when you take your lunch break.
That never happens that quick to anyone's personal vehicle.
It takes like 15 minutes of idling to get the heat back up to pre-lunch conditions.
frz.gif

raceanoncr

Before the big "idle" kick, was at diff hub (feeders) and got real, REAL sick. Had COE CH Mack, you know, the one with the nice bed, laid down (which I didn't normally do), idled for hour break, idled for wait time.

Next day, got pulled in by DIV Mangler. "Why?"

"Was really sick".

"Next time, lay down in the break room".

"Next time, I'm calling ambulance and going to hospital".

moldsporh

They never gave a rats ass about idle time until telematics. If they were so worried about the .3 to.4 gallon fuel burn per hour they would have followed drivers long ago.

How much time do we spend waiting at stop signs or to cross 4 lanes of traffic 4 and 5 times to del by orion? Instead of delivering one side then come back down the other.

Hourly wage times minutes wasted far......FAR exceeds the price for a half gallon of fuel.