Idling during lunch

10 point

That's what I was wondering. You say it's already been decided by the international, where is that documented? If I get approached I'd like to have a come back, thanks.
I dont know of any decisions but what about Art 18?

Maybe find out what temperature hypothermia starts to set in. I'm sure there's plenty of info on that too.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
If its freezing outside and you pull off to the side of the road and sit inside the truck for half an hour without the heater on....the windows will fog up and/or freeze over. This will then force you to idle the vehicle once your lunch is over in order to defrost the windows so that you can see well enough to safely drive. So one way or another....there is going to be some idle time. The only question.... is whether it happens on your time or the company's. Once you confront your management team with this simple fact, they will shut up and go find someone else to bother.
Exactly!

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
If I get approached I'd like to have a come back, thanks.

"It was freezing, and I need to keep warm. If you think I'm being unreasonable, plant your behind in the jump seat, and when it's lunch time, we'll sit for 60 minutes in a freezing truck." That should be the only comeback needed

TheKid

The Statute, MGL, Chapter 90, 16A says:
“No person shall cause, suffer, allow, or permit the unnecessary operation of the engine of a motor vehicle while said vehicle is stopped for a foreseeable period of time in excess of five minutes. This section shall not apply to:
• Vehicles being serviced, provided that operation of the engine is essential to the proper repair thereof, or • Vehicles engaged in the delivery or acceptance of goods, wares, or merchandise for which engine assisted power is necessary and substitute alternate means cannot be made available or,
• Vehicles engaged in an operation for which the engine power is necessary for an associated power need other than movement and substitute alternate power means cannot be made available provided that such operation does not cause or contribute to a condition of air pollution.”

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
The Statute, MGL, Chapter 90, 16A says:

...• Vehicles engaged in an operation for which the engine power is necessary for an associated power need other than movement (running the heater) and substitute alternate power means cannot be made available...
...provided that such operation does not cause or contribute to a condition of air pollution.”???!!!
How do you run the engine without producing exhaust? Typical contract gibberish!! Left vague so that interpretation can be left up to individual managers.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I bet that was written by a lawyer.
Erm, MGL stands for Massachusetts General Laws...so it's a law written by a legislator, many of which are also lawyers.

Most motor vehicle law is found in Chapter 90, a little in 89 and now there are the annoying CMRs, many of which duplicate MGL. Yes, I was a police officer in Mass.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
this issue will come up until the end of time. you idle to stay warm. we argue about this every winter. all they can do is make you "aware" of the law or company policy.

I spoke to the CHP about this law and they just laughed. they said " what do you think we do when we are on the side of the road."

you could get sick from freezing and call in sick for a couple days. that would probably stop the harassment.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Friday we had snow, rain, freezing rain, sleet, slush, etc. I ran my engine for 5 minutes at a time 3 times to defrost my windshield. I'd love them to say something about it on Monday because next time I'll sit in the coffee shop for an hour then sit there on company time for 20 minutes while the windshield and side windows/doors defrost/defog.

If it's just cold I won't run the heater during lunch--I'll get the heat pumping in the cab on the way to lunch & close the doors then head into a business for lunch, but any precipitation when it's cold and I have to idle it a bit.

I spend a lot of my day idling at traffic lights anyway so doubt they'll say anything.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
That's what I was wondering. You say it's already been decided by the international, where is that documented? If I get approached I'd like to have a come back, thanks.
Note that the vehicle is your office and ask them if they have the heat on in their office. It's really that simple.