Idling With Tatlematics

UPSBOT

When UPS Was Fun
Just went live with telematics. We were told we no longer can idle during lunch. The rural route guys bring a lunch box for lunch. No restaurants in the woods. Considering that it gets to 30 below here what's our options?

tourists24

You have a right to sit down to a warm place for your lunch.... try to work out an arrangement with you supervisors. If they are unwilling, then you either need to inform them of where you intend to lunch or simply stay out in the sticks and freeze

40 and out

When the weathers decent you'll have to shut the car off. When its really cold inform them that you'll have to leave it running.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
If you are say sitting outside Fargo in Feb. and the temp. is about 15 below all you need to do is remember that the people telling you cant idle are sitting at a desk in Atlanta and they are nice an warm. So what is the problem?

This is what happens when you let idiots run things.

UPSGUY72

Just went live with telematics. We were told we no longer can idle during lunch. The rural route guys bring a lunch box for lunch. No restaurants in the woods. Considering that it gets to 30 below here what's our options?

Last winter we where told they we could have are car running during are lunch break just not to have it running the whole time. In other words running it till the cab heats up than shut it off. Repeat as necessary.

They can't make you sit in your car without heat in the winter. That's becomes a safety issue. If it getting cold and they are giving you a hard time about idling during lunch call you BA.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Being satellited, I load my own package car everyday. Takes an average of 45 minutes per day. When it gets cold I leave the motor running both to try and stay warm and to keep the windshield clear. Did not have telematics on our satellite trucks the last couple years so it wasn't a problem. This summer they started to install cellular telematics on some of our trucks. Should be interesting to see what their policy is this winter. Stay tuned!

bigbrownhen

I idled my truck during lunch last year when it was cold, never a word said. Just use common sense, if it's cold and they give you a hard time, then contact your BA as posted already. Try it and see how it goes before getting too worked up.

thessalonian13

If they don't let you idle, then tell them you will drive to the nearest lunch place to eat even if its 50 miles away and a couple of hours drive.

barnyard

KTM rider
We started telematics this summer. We were told that rural guys that needed to idle during break had to OK it with supes. I am a cover driver on a couple of the routes and it is written up in the route notes that it is OK to idle for lunch.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Let the fuel gel up. If they need to come out in the cold once or twice. I bet they will change back. You are with the truck. Doesn't make any sense to me at all... Get more production out of a warm employee. Then a frozen one

moreluck

golden ticket member
Let the fuel gel up. If they need to come out in the cold once or twice. I bet they will change back. You are with the truck. Doesn't make any sense to me at all... Get more production out of a warm employee. Then a frozen one
Diesel gelling...............that's Idaho Falls, Idaho !!!!

brown bomber

brown bomber
even in some suburban, and semi-rural routes, it's frowned upon to take your home-packed lunch into a warm and cozy environment......I packed my lunch for close to 30 yrs., I had one office bldg that allowed me to take my lunch (20 yrs. ago)......other than that, my lunch room was my pkg. car..........just a little food for thought (and savings).........why would you purchase your meals on an everyday basis...I packed 4 days, and met w/ fellow drivers on Friday............just wondering

Coldworld

60 months and counting
They don't seem to have a problem with ups freight idling their trucks through their lunch..I see this all the time. I also see our shifters in the yard idling. Maybe ups should start buying some of their own carbon neutral offsets!

rod

Retired 22 years
Tell those idiot Atlanta desk drivers that when they turn their airconditioners off in the summer time you will turn your heat off in the winter.