I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
What is so special about June
>he doesn't know
1582059123494-1.jpg

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
This has been the key thing about IE for at least the last 30 years, nothing of value accomplished because the Ops managers and DMs are running the show
I'm sure there's some truth to what you're saying, but I'm also sure you'd feel very differently about it if you had to run a delivery center.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
But at a productivity rate that affords RCPDs ~$40hr at straight time.

I think one thing driving engineering mgmt reduction is the company believes it can succeed this time with better tech.

Also, the time/money we saved from super-standarizing every job element won't be flexible enough in the future.

Preloaders already can't load in optimized route order; there isn't quite enough data available at start time. So, how exacting do we really have to be with preload methods, loop dispatch, etc?

The biggest part of on road time study was to determine the walks...how far are the houses from the street? Google Maps, a tool we didn't have 15 years ago, is fine for this. All the other data is in the DIAD. Houses don't get further from the street over time, either.

All of these things indicate the company can become leaner in engineering, or, the engineers can find other projects to return on their investment.

And I say that as one of the engineers. I think we can be more imaginative than being the DMs consigliere.
The biggest part of on road time study was to determine the walks...how far are the houses from the street? Google Maps, a tool we didn't have 15 years ago, is fine for this. All the other data is in the DIAD. Houses don't get further from the street over time, either.

Good Point, BUT...what about those APT buildings where you don't park in front of? You park at the end of the block, walk back go in go up...and next thing you know you are staring at the top of your package car? Yes I understand you get credit for elevator/stairs but lets stick with the walk time for sake of argument.

Or is this that "15 minutes that doesn't mean anything and it all balances out".....

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat

Good Point, BUT...what about those APT buildings where you don't park in front of? You park at the end of the block, walk back go in go up...and next thing you know you are staring at the top of your package car? Yes I understand you get credit for elevator/stairs but lets stick with the walk time for sake of argument.

Or is this that "15 minutes that doesn't mean anything and it all balances out".....
Does it count for crunchy knees and obesity rates?

dudebro

Well, we would know that from Telematics or the DIAD or both. The only question then is was that parking position what "should" be happening?

Personally, on every judgment call like that I gave the tie to the operator - I assumed the maximum time. If the driver was stopping at the end of the block, more often than not, that's where I measured from. I might spot check to see if it made sense but we all know which drivers have brains and which ones - well - need guidance.

Reason was, in my district, an IE supervisor might show how we cut 20 min per route in the Carleton center. Ops manager would turn around and say, "Congratulations, you're promoted to manager. You have the Carleton center you just studied, after all, you know all the routes now. Of course, I'll be expecting your action plan on how you're going to run those numbers you just showed me by the end of the week".

I measured every center like I was going to have to answer to the work measurement myself.