IE

UPSER1987

There's no point to hyper analysis

Something like 95% of UPS routes have time studies accurate within 15min of O/A

Why waste months or years of analysis just to cut some slack for a few over paid, whiny drivers when you can just plan around their averages?

I guess that's why you are in the rain "making the big bucks" while I make the same as you working in my pajamas

View attachment 333993
That last line literally made me laugh out loud.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
You want to hear something funny. Last time they did a real-time study on the routes in my center most of them gained a little bit of time. The company didn't like that today threw the time studies out

Yep.

The company thinks that a "virtual" time study done on a computer, is an accurate representation.

Yet.... none of the management people can do it.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.

Why waste months or years of analysis just to cut some slack for a few over paid, whiny drivers when you can just plan around their averages?

I guess that's why you are in the rain "making the big bucks" while I make the same as you working in my pajamas

View attachment 333993
Rajeet will do your job for a fraction of the cost. So suck on that.

Dragon

Package Center Manager

View attachment 333993

That 15 minutes is not as easy to plan around as you suggest, its way less than 95% of routes are accurate to with in 15 minutes. I have been in several centers so I can speak to the virtual time study and how its affected those centers. A lot of centers went from making over-allowed to getting crushed the next Monday when the virtual time study took effect. I have seen whole loops that cannot plan @ 8 hours no matter what you do.

We are @ the 10 year mark since we started/completed a virtual time study it still pisses everyone off.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
That 15 minutes is not as easy to plan around as you suggest, its way less than 95% of routes are accurate to with in 15 minutes. I have been in several centers so I can speak to the virtual time study and how its affected those centers. A lot of centers went from making over-allowed to getting crushed the next Monday when the virtual time study took effect. I have seen whole loops that cannot plan @ 8 hours no matter what you do.

We are @ the 10 year mark since we started/completed a virtual time study it still pisses everyone off.
None of that matters because:
1. Districts get the same plan day target + a little extra every year, no matter what
2. Your center plan day targets are just balanced against the other centers in your district, weighted to LY performance
3. Since everyone is in the same :censored2:ed boat as you, it balances out

The tragedy is that the ops and division managers genuinely believe these numbers actually mean something

Dragon

Package Center Manager
None of that matters because:
1. Districts get the same plan day target + a little extra every year, no matter what
2. Your center plan day targets are just balanced against the other centers in your district, weighted to LY performance
3. Since everyone is in the same *ed boat as you, it balances out

The tragedy is that the ops and division managers genuinely believe these numbers actually mean something
So since we are all screwed its ok since its all balanced out? I have been told the same thing you posted ages ago and yet we still think its ok.

I could go on why it does matter but unless you are in operations, who cares.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Everyone is replaceable, but I'm a survivor with a lot of parachutes
He thought the same thing
jakiw-palij-abc-exclusive-ml-180821_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

dudebro

All this nonsense just to put a box on somebody's porch. Lol.
But at a productivity rate that affords RCPDs ~$40hr at straight time.

I think one thing driving engineering mgmt reduction is the company believes it can succeed this time with better tech.

Also, the time/money we saved from super-standarizing every job element won't be flexible enough in the future.

Preloaders already can't load in optimized route order; there isn't quite enough data available at start time. So, how exacting do we really have to be with preload methods, loop dispatch, etc?

The biggest part of on road time study was to determine the walks...how far are the houses from the street? Google Maps, a tool we didn't have 15 years ago, is fine for this. All the other data is in the DIAD. Houses don't get further from the street over time, either.

All of these things indicate the company can become leaner in engineering, or, the engineers can find other projects to return on their investment.

And I say that as one of the engineers. I think we can be more imaginative than being the DMs consigliere.