If DIAD VI follows the pattern...

undies

They must have. I distinctly remember we had the same driver for my entire childhood, and every time we got a delivery he rang the bell and it required a signature. Pretty sure we weren't a no DR household. LOL. Maybe some packages were DR'ed and I just remember signing for ones that required. Who can remember. Come to think of it, I'm talking 25-30 years ago. I was probably signing a piece of paper. And later on DIAD1 when I got a little older

Was your mom hot? Might explain the signatures...every time!

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
2015-broadband-tech-summit-todd-westberg-ups-presentation-11-638.jpg

1. Are we looking at a DROID sized board? Or is the DIAD V here to stay...

2. Did the 1990 one come with a backpack?
I thought diad four sucked the big one, what a waste of money like Orion. Had to shift up and down to use the inner numbers and letters

brown67

All the batteries in DIAD I were in the top portion above the screen. By the end of the day your wrists were always sore from all the weight being at the top. Also, older drivers refused to use it until sups said they would be fired for not using it.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
All the batteries in DIAD I were in the top portion above the screen. By the end of the day your wrists were always sore from all the weight being at the top.

This is correct, I took one home one weekend when they first came out and I took it apart out of curiosity. They let us take them home to practice on since we were one of the first Centers to test them out. They were very fragile, the mother boards would crack easily. They were made in Japan by Tappan Industries if I remember right.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
I still remember the first time I got a wireless message on the diad; there had not been any disclosure from mgmt. that this was something in the pipeline.

I removed the board from my belt clip, looked at the screen, and thought to myself : "This is not going to be good."

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
This is correct, I took one home one weekend when they first came out and I took it apart out of curiosity. They let us take them home to practice on since we were one of the first Centers to test them out. They were very fragile, the mother boards would crack easily. They were made in Japan by Tappan Industries if I remember right.

Those boards were the best dog whackers ever. A lot of surface area. Never had one break

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The 5 is a good size. You shrink it and it will get lost easily and be harder to read.

What they should focus on is useful software updates like better misload cards and a multi-missed screen.

upsgrunt

Good point. To take it one step further maybe just a tapping the card to the Diad and it reads it, like some credit card machines do.

If a consignee had a credit card when they order something, why would they order it COD, and pay the extra charge just to charge it at delivery?

moldsporh

Diad 5 is great as long as they offered a hard key for the sig button, not some stupid extended reach, in the corner soft key.....what a freakin moronic design.

Also, when you hit deliver and the diad hangs up, and you press it again,.it goes into SDN. SDN should have not been in the same location as deliver, but in the vacant spot to the left just in case you did hit it twice.

Revise diad 5, then add whatever garbage they are going to add anyway.....doesn't need to be smaller.

oldupsman

That is grounds for immediate firing, and the union can do nothing to save you. I would applaud a firing like that, and taunt the offender on the way out.

That was a common practice in the 70's and into the 80's. We used to have a P-600 sitting at the door and every night
when you came in you simply took the stops you didn't deliver for the day and THROW them into the 600. The next day
you get them all back plus the days load. So then you would rotate the load. Meaning the area you skipped the day before
would get done and you would bring back a different area that night and THROW them into the 600. And then when it might slow
down enough you would actually have a day when you could get done all the stops on the car that day.

upsgrunt

That was a common practice in the 70's and into the 80's. We used to have a P-600 sitting at the door and every night
when you came in you simply took the stops you didn't deliver for the day and THROW them into the 600. The next day
you get them all back plus the days load. So then you would rotate the load. Meaning the area you skipped the day before
would get done and you would bring back a different area that night and THROW them into the 600. And then when it might slow
down enough you would actually have a day when you could get done all the stops on the car that day.

I've been here since 86, and I never saw anything like that happen where I'm at.
"Every package every day" was all we heard.

oldupsman

I've been here since 86, and I never saw anything like that happen where I'm at.
"Every package every day" was all we heard.

Well it did stop when we went to bar codes on packages. And that was probably around the mid 80's.
When the "Every package every day" phrase came out we just used to laugh. Took awhile for us to get
serious about it.