If I go into management…

clean hairy

For those of you who don’t know me let me introduce myself:

I’m a Texan raised in South Florida
My first job at a big company was at age 17 driver helper for UPS in lower Manhattan. From there I became a loader in 177 and advanced to regular Tuesday to Saturday driver… Resigned in 2017.

From there I followed what I believe was the career meant for me and hired on with the now-defunct railroad called Conrail. I was a simple brakeman, basically a yard jockey whose sole job was to spin handbrakes on 120 rail cars every shift. Hiram Norfolk Southern has a Conductor and now it’s CSX again after a brief hiatus when Amtrak hired me in February 2020… Offer was rescinded just one week into training due to COVID-19 hiring limitations, we all got the boot and then 20% of current employees at Amtrak were laid off.

I have some military no real college just a couple of credits at an online university, for those of you who know me:

The next time I get laid off from the railroad… I think I’ll take my hand at joining the ranks of UPS again. but this time, and I never in my wildest dreams thought I would say this, my calling might be to become a member of management…

Those of you who know me on here know me to be human with a little bit of baggage; but nothing more than you can check for free on Amtrak.

Having done this job, although not nearly as long as most, who believes I could be the one who makes a difference? An a

For those of you who don’t know me let me introduce myself:

I’m a Texan raised in South Florida
My first job at a big company was at age 17 driver helper for UPS in lower Manhattan. From there I became a loader in 177 and advanced to regular Tuesday to Saturday driver… Resigned in 2017.

From there I followed what I believe was the career meant for me and hired on with the now-defunct railroad called Conrail. I was a simple brakeman, basically a yard jockey whose sole job was to spin handbrakes on 120 rail cars every shift. Hiram Norfolk Southern has a Conductor and now it’s CSX again after a brief hiatus when Amtrak hired me in February 2020… Offer was rescinded just one week into training due to COVID-19 hiring limitations, we all got the boot and then 20% of current employees at Amtrak were laid off.

I have some military no real college just a couple of credits at an online university, for those of you who know me:

The next time I get laid off from the railroad… I think I’ll take my hand at joining the ranks of UPS again. but this time, and I never in my wildest dreams thought I would say this, my calling might be to become a member of management…

Those of you who know me on here know me to be human with a little bit of baggage; but nothing more than you can check for free on Amtrak.

Having done this job, although not nearly as long as most, who believes I could be the one who makes a difference? An advocate for the working man.
The fact you know what a handbrake is and how to use it is a big plus!

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
I don’t know where you are, or what brand you got, but they bought from Laindl here. Absolutely the best turkeys.
It’s been so long I can’t even remember. Has to at least been 10 years here.

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
I just got (re) hired
The fact you know what a handbrake is and how to use it is a big plus!
11676B47-D082-4642-BAE5-FD45B452C828.jpeg

No brake stick either.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
And not for nothing, but what the * would either of you know with 2 months? Hell he’s not even union yet, until 6 months when he marks up. He’s not on a seniority roster and therefore cannot be laid off.

My cousin that got him in is 22 years deep. He hasn't worked under 55 hours in 3 years.

Is that enough or would you prefer the CEO of the railroad tell you that they're short handed?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
WOW.
You don't think they're gonna remember that when you go into management and make your job so miserable you'll eventually quit?

Believe it or not, Brown treats their management worse than the hourly.
lol what a lie, that's the kind of dumb :censored2: i thought when i was an hourly too

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
lol what a lie, that's the kind of dumb * i thought when i was an hourly too

I have seen some part time supervisors treated pretty badly. Not only worse than the hourlies but actually worse than most anyone I have worked along side with at any job. The full time supes seem pretty stressed as well.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
I have seen some part time supervisors treated pretty badly. Not only worse than the hourlies but actually worse than most anyone I have worked along side with at any job. The full time supes seem pretty stressed as well.
i've seen the exact same thing with hourlies

difference is, having seen both sides, management, like any job, is fine if you just keep your opinions to yourself and do the best you can

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
My cousin that got him in is 22 years deep. He hasn't worked under 55 hours in 3 years.

Is that enough or would you prefer the CEO of the railroad tell you that they're short handed?
Okay, but ask him what his first 7 or 8 years were like
And it’s possible for some to go their whole career without a furlough but that’s about the same odds as never hitting/killing someone. There are some exceptions but the majority go through it.
Is he under the old Nickelplate agreement?