If we had more employees....

J

johnkyblue

We have a large list of people that want to work at my hub. We have lots of people that want to be trainers. It isn't a lack of quality applicants, it is simply not wanted to pay people.

If we had more employees...
the quality of work would be higher,
the work wouldn't be so hard,
turnover would be lower,
and I would be a happy man.

U

upsmule

The work wouldn't be so hard? WHAA WHAA WHAA....Paaaallleeeeeezzzzzzzz!

A

archibald

WE HAVE LARGE GROUPS COMING INTO THE HUB HERE ALSO BUT OUT OF THE 20 OR 30 ONLY 1 OR 2 STICK IT OUT. I HATE TO SAY IT BUT THE WORK ETHIC IN THE YOUTH OF TODAY (19 TO 24 YRS) ISN'T THE SAME AS IT WAS 10 TO 20 YEARS AGO. THE PROBLEM IS ALOT OF THE OLD-TIMERS THAT TRAINED ME YEARS AGO, MNGMT AND UNION ARE GETTIN OUT AND ALOT OF THE INTEGRITY AND WORK ETHICS ARE GOIN WITH THEM.UPS IS HARD WORK AND IF YOU AREN'T PREPARED FOR THAT YOU ARE IN FOR A SHOCKER!I GUESS WE SHOULD GO AFTER OLDER EMPLOYEES IF YOU CAN FIND THEM. THIS IS THE SAME FOR THE BUSINESS'S ON MY ROUTE ALSO, NOT JUST UPS

U

upslocal480

I cant say if this is true in other hubs but In the hub I worked at it seemed the "old timers" were the dead weight and not the newbies. They all seemed to have the "I've put allot of time in so I don't have to work" attitude. Most of them, when they actually show up, only perform half-assed and they rely on the union to protect them. When I say this I am talking the the inside hub people and not the drivers. I know there are some drivers like that though also. Thos guys are a cover driver's best friend though because their constant absenteeism gives the cover drivers more work...LOL. The newbies have their share but most of them quit 3 months to a year after they are hired anyway. All the consistent hard workers at UPS are crammed between newbies and old timers that have gone lazy but were at one time hard workers.

A

archibald

LOCAL480 I AGREE WITH YOU, THERE ARE SOME OLD-TIMERS HERE LIKE THAT TOO, BUT I HAVE NEVER TILL RECENTLY SEEN A LOW SENIORITY DRIVER TELL SUPERVISORS "I AIN'T RUNNIN THAT" THE BAD THING IS THEY STICK THE DEADBEATS NEXT TO ME ON UNASSIGNED ROUTES AND GUESS WHO HAS TO TAKE UP THE SLACK? MY LOADER IS A GREAT KID BUT THE ARE PUTTING WAY TO MUCH ON HIM AND THEN GETTING ON HIM IF HE MAKES A MISTAKE, THATS WHY I DON'T MIND HELPING HIM PLUS HE TAKES A LITTLE EXTRA EFFORT TO SEE THAT MY TRUCK IS LOADED FIRST. IT'S A SHAME THE WHOLE CENTER DOESN'T UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF "WORKING TOGETHER".

U

upslocal480

I don't know if that happens at my center or not. I havn't heard anything from the drivers except the usual complaints of preloaders not being able to count. LOL. And as a part-timer here there is really nothing to complain about. When I worked in a hub though it was totally different. I worked in smalls which SHOULD HAVE been a gravy job but there were so much dead weight up there and most of it was the high seniority people that it ended being the most stressful job I've ever had. They miss an average of 2 or 3 days of work every other week and the days they did come they'd usually be late. Yeah some had day jobs but over the course of time the rest of us had figured out their schedules and what really was happening is they were just comming in when they felt like it. I'd come in every day to a mountain of unsorted packages and wasn't even qualified to sort yet but had to anyway. I'd have to sort and bag my whole station and sometimes help out on another station as well. Usually 45 minutes up to an hour would go by before the person that was supposed to be working there would actually show up. I know I was lucky to even be put up in smalls but some days, more than I'd like to remember, it was so frustrating because of the old-timers that I sometimes would have rather been hired as a loader. LOL. Over the span of almost 4 years I've done my share of loading, unloading, smalls, irregs, shifting, etc. Some of each or all at Fed Ex Ground. I'd still have to say that working in smalls was over all the hardest job I've had at Fed Ex or UPS. Just because of the old-timers. I can't say that all of them are like that everywhere but the ones I worked with weren't worth a damn except for maybe a few. I believe in respecting my eldors and superiors and all that but I also believe respect is something you earn but its also something you can lose. I've heard those people say things like "I've been here such and such amount of time and I did more work than you'll ever do." Well thats fine except for the fact that NOW is whats important...Not then. What if everyone at UPS thought they didn't need to work hard after they've worked there a certain amount of time? What a disaster that would be. LOL

P

proups

upslocal480: You sound like you have your head on straight. Keep it up.

By the way, how 'bout them Vols! Are you a Gator-hater?????

U

upslocal480

Vols...Hmmm. We deserved to lose 70-0. How could any decent team not have beaten us?? lol. We handed the ball, the game, and our asses to them on a gold platter repeatively. Vandy would have beaten us. LMAO. Makes you wonfer if we had practiced in the rain at all this season or in the preseason. Instead of trying to tackle the Gators we should have just slid into them and took their legs out. The results couldn't have been much worse. LOL. I'm not a Gator-Hater though. I'm a Georgia Bulldog and Notre Dame hater. Oh and there is the Titans. We must suck again this year if we lost to the Freakin Browns!! LOL