If your helper took pictures and video of you what would you do?

gingerkat

I really doubt a driver could really "fire" a helper. If that were the case a driver could get away with just about anything. Last year my very first time helping, my driver thought he would help himself to a handful of ginger. I took it for a while, hoping he would stop, but I finally snapped. If it were so easy, he could have "fired" me for not complying with his touching.

It would take a really crappy helper to anger a driver so much to want to drop him off in the middle of the day, but IMO, it would take an even crappier driver to drop them off in the middle of nowhere, with no transportation. I get what you saying (the extremes), but I don't know why you couldn't call your center manager first or just make the best of a crappy day/crappy helper.

If you did what you say you did in this state, you and UPS would both be in serious trouble. It would be all over the news with sir Gloria Allred - lol

gingerkat

I just didn't know what to think. Sometimes I try to be calm and figure it out, but then I lost it. I think I scared him a little… lol, but after our talk we turned out to be a pretty good team.

Marne Vet

I really doubt a driver could really "fire" a helper. If that were the case a driver could get away with just about anything. Last year my very first time helping, my driver thought he would help himself to a handful of ginger. I took it for a while, hoping he would stop, but I finally snapped. If it were so easy, he could have "fired" me for not complying with his touching.

It would take a really crappy helper to anger a driver so much to want to drop him off in the middle of the day, but IMO, it would take an even crappier driver to drop them off in the middle of nowhere, with no transportation. I get what you saying (the extremes), but I don't know why you couldn't call your center manager first or just make the best of a crappy day/crappy helper.

If you did what you say you did in this state, you and UPS would both be in serious trouble. It would be all over the news with sir Gloria Allred - lol

Management does the actual firing. I love toying with these clowns over semantics though. Nothing better than seeing UpState resort to an all caps response. However, a driver can "fire" you on the spot, or tell you "you're done", and send you on your way. Then let his center manager know why, what happened, and what your recommendations are. If that helper remains fired on your call, then essentially you got them fired. The center manager makes the ultimate decision. Just don't let these guys in on that. They love to argue. lol

Marne Vet

I just didn't know what to think. Sometimes I try to be calm and figure it out, but then I lost it. I think I scared him a little… lol, but after our talk we turned out to be a pretty good team.

Wait, you stayed with that driver after they molested you?! o_O

gingerkat

I am a military brat and my father always told me to work hard no matter what and don't run away. It just took me some time to stand up for myself.

Marne Vet

I am a military brat and my father always told me to work hard no matter what and don't run away. It just took me some time to stand up for myself.

Standing up for yourself is one thing, but a driver was inappropriately touching you? Why didn't you just walk off the truck, report him, and get assigned to a new driver?

gingerkat

Honestly I was a little shell shocked at first. I wasn't sure if he was intentionally grabbing my butt or if it was just happening while we were sorting. But when I remember feeling his a pinch I turned and barked at him. Live and learn.

I was pissed, but I was also a little scared. In essence he was my boss, so I didn't say anything. Plus, I wanted to work and thought that complaining would sideline me. Also having a military dad I was taught to NOT talk back.

Marne Vet

Honestly I was a little shell shocked at first. I wasn't sure if he was intentionally grabbing my butt or if it was just happening while we were sorting. But when I remember feeling his a pinch I turned and barked at him. Live and learn.

I was pissed, but I was also a little scared. In essence he was my boss, so I didn't say anything. Plus, I wanted to work and thought that complaining would sideline me. Also having a military dad I was taught to NOT talk back.

You should've kneed him in the groin. What he did was inexcusable. Glad it stopped when you spoke-up, but NEVER let that happen to you again, under any circumstances! Walk away, report it, and worry about the stupid job later.

gingerkat

Historically I have a difficult time standing up for myself, but not others. Maybe that will be my new years resolution…to not let others walk all over me?

Looking back I really don't regret much, other than not saying something sooner. I'm glad I was able to get through to him and we had a pretty good working relationship. Maybe he just wasn't thinking correctly and took a chance that I would be into it. For the most part it was a good gig and he was a mellow personality, so it worked out pretty good.

No more hands on the can, unless I say so...

Rainman

Its all good.
Bingo. The driver cannot fire the helper. They can drop them off but they cannot fire them.
We can't fire the helper but of we tell the coordinator that we don't trust them, then it becomes an integrity issue and their chances of working again are severely diminished. More than one way to get around a deceitful helper.

overflowed

Gingerkat I'm sorry this happened at all, it should never have. I do not work for UPS and I am sorry this happened.