I'm a former UPS employee but my rehire status is currently unavailable. Help?

S

SoarFree8

Hi guys,

I was a part time package handler for about 4-5 months. I'm deaf so my communication with my supervisors and my co workers were not easy but we do get by. My depression was the reason of my poor attendance. I had 2 warnings from Union but I was never suspended from work. A few days after meeting with the Union I was at the hospital unexpectedly and was unable to contact my work because I didn't have a phone with me at the time and stayed at the hospital the entire week. Of course, I was worried and hoping I wouldn't get fired. When I was discharged from the hospital I immediately text my supervisor and found out I got fired because I did not show up to work for a week without notice. I was too depressed to fight back to keep my job.

It's been a year and I'm in a better shape. I want to go back to work for UPS but my status for rehire is currently unavailable. I tried to called the HR office to find out if I'm on non rehire list but I waited 3 hours and my call dropped twice. Frustrated! I clicked on the "contact us" and it was nowhere near what I needed. But, I e-mailed and left some messages regarding my rehire status.

I keep kicking myself for throwing away my recent hospital documents of the time when I was staying at the hospital for a week. Stupid move! I have no proofs. I don't know what else to do.

Please help me on how I can get my job back. Thanks!

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Basically, you probably can't. You're for sure going to be on "No Rehire" I don't think there is much debate about that. The only way you could get rehired is to find the sup who put you on there and see if he will change it, which is probably going to be a long shot. Your best bet is to just look elsewhere for employment. Sorry to be the guy to say it, but I highly doubt you will be rehired with that set of circumstances.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Hi guys,

I was a part time package handler for about 4-5 months. I'm deaf so my communication with my supervisors and my co workers were not easy but we do get by. My depression was the reason of my poor attendance. I had 2 warnings from Union but I was never suspended from work. A few days after meeting with the Union I was at the hospital unexpectedly and was unable to contact my work because I didn't have a phone with me at the time and stayed at the hospital the entire week. Of course, I was worried and hoping I wouldn't get fired. When I was discharged from the hospital I immediately text my supervisor and found out I got fired because I did not show up to work for a week without notice. I was too depressed to fight back to keep my job.

It's been a year and I'm in a better shape. I want to go back to work for UPS but my status for rehire is currently unavailable. I tried to called the HR office to find out if I'm on non rehire list but I waited 3 hours and my call dropped twice. Frustrated! I clicked on the "contact us" and it was nowhere near what I needed. But, I e-mailed and left some messages regarding my rehire status.

I keep kicking myself for throwing away my recent hospital documents of the time when I was staying at the hospital for a week. Stupid move! I have no proofs. I don't know what else to do.

Please help me on how I can get my job back. Thanks!

I don't but it.

You didn't have one friend or family member see you the whole week you were in the hospital that could have called UPS for you?

I'm sure you had a phone in your room. A nurse would have been happy to call your work for you and let them know.

Let's hear the whole story before you start asking for advice.

S

SoarFree8

Basically, you probably can't. You're for sure going to be on "No Rehire" I don't think there is much debate about that. The only way you could get rehired is to find the sup who put you on there and see if he will change it, which is probably going to be a long shot. Your best bet is to just look elsewhere for employment. Sorry to be the guy to say it, but I highly doubt you will be rehired with that set of circumstances.

I see one way to do it. Thanks for being honest. I appreciated it.

S

SoarFree8

I don't but it.

You didn't have one friend or family member see you the whole week you were in the hospital that could have called UPS for you?

I'm sure you had a phone in your room. A nurse would have been happy to call your work for you and let them know.

Let's hear the whole story before you start asking for advice.

I was basically on my own. My family and I don't get along. I was in an abusive relationship and I ended up in the hospital without a cell phone. Nobody at UPS knows exactly what happened to me. I was too depressed and confused to know what I was doing. I wish not to talk more about it.

Thanks for trying to help though.

HardknocksUPSer

Your best bet is to try and get hired as a seasonal, and hope and pray that they keep you on after Christmas, apply at multiple centers and take whichever is the best offer, assuming they hire you as a seasonal, goodluck!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Actually you might want to try for a management position , you sound like their kind of guy . And yes they do hire people off the street to be bosses .

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Am I the only to know he is really a she? Look at the avatar.

I did not notice before she changed it. But I kinda suspected he was a she from her comment about being in an abusive relationship.

While not every case, the vast majority of abusive relationships are the man abusing the woman.

And if she ended up in the hospital, I can understand that calling her employer may be the last thing on her mind.

I would come clean with HR about what happened and ask for a second chance. If she was a good worker, and due to the circumstances, they may reconsider.

They could even spin it into a positive PR image.

"We are helping out a former employee who was abused by her boyfriend and we are helping her make a new life."

S

SoarFree8

Well, guys. I think I know what need to be done. I don't think there's anything I can do. Thanks.