injury

UnconTROLLed

perfection
what people consider an 'injury' is ridiculous. just cause you hurt your self or get a cut isn't an injury. quit being a baby and suck it up.

There is a line to draw, obviously....but if you hurt yourself, that is technically more serious than a minor cut. A minor cut is not "hurting yourself", a sprained ankle or a serious bleeding cut, or a struck-by box, is hurting yourself.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
The company, at least where I work, considers unreported injuries a reprimandable offense. You're only hurting yourself by not reporting injuries. I'm not talking soreness, cramps, etc... and people posting here aren't talking about that either (correct me if I'm wrong).

When you have to be off for any length of time due to a work related illness or injury, the difference between "comp" & "disability" is substantial (at least where I'm at). Why should anyone do with less when "no-fault" worker comp laws were intended to protect workers and companies (however I think the company is getting a bargain) just the same.

Face it, most jobs at UPS are physically demanding jobs, and all of us are happy to contribute to the $Billions$ in profit, when one of us goes down, they can afford to "make it right."

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

what people consider an 'injury' is ridiculous. just cause you hurt your self or get a cut isn't an injury. quit being a baby and suck it up.

Do yourself a favor--report all injuries.

Suppose you get injured, say a twisted ankle, on a Friday, but don't think it bad enough to report. You wake up Saturday morning and can't walk on it. You get it looked at and are put out of work for a week. What are you going to tell your supervisor Monday morning?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Wow it seems that they treat us all bad. Many of you know that I hurt my back in Dec 09 when I opened my back door on my UPS van at the first stop and a 50lb crate came falling at me. I was put on full comp at XMas whne they were done using me for peak on light duty.

They never denied the injury and payed me until Feb when they cut me off, My lawyer was able to get it straightened out by April. But that was 2 months without a check, thank god I had a savings account.

Fast forward until Septemeber of 09 after 3 epidurals and seeing the IME who said I needed surgery but could return to full duty until I scheduled the surgery. I went down with a hernia because UPS put me back to full duty. Went back on full comp OCt 1st and had Hernia surgery within weeks no problem there. I actually think they realized that they had screwed up big by sending me back.

Had to see the IME again and this time he still said a discetomy but now I cant work. Why is that?????

Anyways I had the back surgery Feb 23rd of this year. My Dr requested 18 therapy vists and that was denied and they approved 16. BS Now im doing 1 more month of therapy and than 1 month of work conditioning and I am hoping to be back the first or second week of June.

Alot of the problems came through LM but they are directed by UPS's risk management dept. They make the calls on light work, comp and approve things.

On a bright note if there is one here, by them returning me to work my medical and pension payments bank started over again. If not I would have been paying Cobra since january and would be recieving no pension payments.

Advice try and handle that injury without an attorney, but once you feel that they are screwing you or denying procedures get an attorney.

Integrity

Binge Poster
i get many injuries, just don't report them :)
mikeny,

All UPS employees are required to report all injuries regardless of the severity.

If a UPS employee is injured and doesn't report it then the employee is not doing his or her job and should be fired.

Sincerely,
I

Re-Raise

mikeny,

All UPS employees are required to report all injuries regardless of the severity.

If a UPS employee is injured and doesn't report it then the employee is not doing his or her job and should be fired.

Sincerely,
I

I think part of the problem is that the physical nature of the job can cause pain in many parts of the body at different times. How do you know what is minor soreness and what is an actual injury?

They hate it when you call in an injury because it affects the center numbers. It would be nice if we could just be honest and call something in to cover the possibility that it does end up being an injury without managemnet freaking out.

Things were different when I had my back injury in 96. They were honest and fair with me and I was honest and fair with them. Maybe I just had a good management team.

Vocab

Do yourself a favor--report all injuries.

Suppose you get injured, say a twisted ankle, on a Friday, but don't think it bad enough to report. You wake up Saturday morning and can't walk on it. You get it looked at and are put out of work for a week. What are you going to tell your supervisor Monday morning?
I cant agree with this enough. little story of my own from a few weeks ago

I work in the unload, was going about my business when BOOM, took a box right to the balls. Needless to say it hurt pretty bad. I went about my buisness though and worked through the discomfort, it had begun to ease by the end of the night. One of my buddies urged me though to report it just in case something should be wrong, I kept telling him I was feeling better and it was nothing but finally I gave in and let my boss know. I didnt report it as an injury mind you, I just let him know what happened as more of a heads up

That was a friday, come saturday morning I was so sore in my testicles and lower back I couldnt even get out of bed, this persisted the whole weekend, it was horrible. I let my sups know when work rolled back around and told them I was going to the Dr.

Long story slightly shorter, the box to my boys had scrambled em up pretty bad and caused a lot of swelling, I needed a week off of work.

as for reporting all injuries...im not sure how it is everywhere else, but at my ups we are urged to NOT report most injury's for the very same reason that others have stated. It's a very physical job and we're going to take some lumps, I myself have seen guys look like they were bleeding out, only to be bandaged back up and sent back to work no questions asked. In fact in my very first day of orientation they pretty much said "dont be a pusillanimous and report an ol injury, you're going to get hurt, deal with it"

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Yes, it is a very physical job and minor bumps and bruises will occur; however, more significant injuries need to be reported ASAP.

Agree, like I said, minor cut or arbrasion is not an injury, it is a minor cut or abrasion.

In 2006 I took a 45 pound box off the shin in the sort-aisle.

Overflow from the belts and other unloaders caused packages to start falling. I moved to the right to hit the stop button but as I did that, a box further up the belt struck me. It dug deep into the shin making a 4" cut and bruise down the length of the shin. I felt I had to "call it in" because I could not walk almost at all. However, by the next day it was very sore but I could work through it.

Two months later I was fired by DM for working unsafe by sitting on the end of a bulk slide after the shift was complete. He was really an atrocious man with no personality, and no idea of what actually went into the job itself. I believe he has since been promoted.

If you do ever decide to file an injury report or anything like that, be sure to never do a single thing wrong because they will micromanage and harrass you every minute of every day.

CustomerConcern

In Feb. I was working late (big shock I know) and tripped on a crack in pavement scraped knee. When I walked in with my clerk pkgs the clerk being the mom that she is asked WTH? point at my bloody knee. Told her the deal no big thing, Night Sup. comes out of office asking whats up, told her story that I am a :censored2: no problem. Next morning, issued warning letter for unsafe methods, got a letter from Workers COmp for injury and a call from Liberty Mutual to assess injury I reported. Lesson learned, don't speak with sup ever. Fast forward to 3/31, at 1010pm stepped out of P1000 onto stone rolled ankle. Hurt like hell, finished rte (12 more stops) wnet home. Next morning greeted with a grapefruit of an ankle, called Ctr said going to clinic and told what had happened. Clinic gives me a grde 3 sprain no work 2 weeks. Get to Ctr, center manager says fired for repeat offender of unsafe methods, unleash a verbal rant from hell, center manager downgrades to 2 warning letters (1. Unsafe methods, 2. Failure to report injury). Decide my mouth better stop and let this go to panel. Got letter 2 thrown out (BTW it is a myth that you have 24hrs to report an injury, the company does you do not. lesson learned.) I now have had to take every UPS test imaginable (safety, space and vis, habits, all that good stuff), and get to speak with the company nurse every 2 weeks to review my performance and high potential for injuries.

I have had a few injuries and every time Liberty Mutual is average if not slow with the money, the company is as AH as you have come to expect.

whiskey

mikeny,

Sincerely,
I

What if the hourly reports the injury to his immediate supervisor and the immediate supervisor refuses to call the accident into Liberty Mutual? Should the hourly then be fired? I do not speak of a hypothetical situation.

skum

I've been hurt once. It was mainly my fault because i can't manage to lose weight HAHA. One day on the job during peak i collapsed while making a run to a house. I went to the Doc and had a bone scan and he said that i had a severe stress fracture which was caused by excess stress on my leg. I guess i weigh a little too much to be doing all that running lol I should have called in sick when i noticed a stabbing pain in my leg, but i wanted to keep going, i didn't want my driver to get stuck with a crappy helper, which in my center, was probably going to happen. i didn't go to the company for anything, it was basically my fault.

upserr1

What if the hourly reports the injury to his immediate supervisor and the immediate supervisor refuses to call the accident into Liberty Mutual? Should the hourly then be fired? I do not speak of a hypothetical situation.
customerconcern is correct the only thing I would add is that when you notify sup you always have a good witness around I've seen it happen where the sup denies ever being told

Integrity

Binge Poster
whiskey,

No, the hourly should not be fired.

What response did the hourly make to this refusal by his immediate supervisor?

Sincerely,
I