Insight on coworkers claiming harassment? On Topic

over9five

Staff member
It's not like he called the IBT.

He gave the preloader several chances before notifying his sup.

He handled it correctly.

I think the OP is very lucky the preloader didn't call the Union and report this.

This is the problem that always happens with safety committees. The members start getting this sense of power, and basically become managements little boys. There is simply no reason to HAVE a safety committee, the management team should take care of safety issues. You have a safety issue? Simply report it to management.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
It does seem like they are using you as a supervisor instead of a preloader. As a safety committee member you should be demonstrating not admonishing.
You should have corrected the problem and then wrote any concerns in the saftey log

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think the OP is very lucky the preloader didn't call the Union and report this.

This is the problem that always happens with safety committees. The members start getting this sense of power, and basically become managements little boys. There is simply no reason to HAVE a safety committee, the management team should take care of safety issues. You have a safety issue? Simply report it to management.

I respectfully disagree with you.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Again I stated I see where I went wrong. But I did not rat him out, I told him twice about the problem and he closed a door in my face. I didn't know what else to do? I can't do everyone else's job for them everyday.

Yes, you did. You went to a supervisor and told him what had transpired.

Rack em

Made the Podium

I agree, I know at no time do I ever have any authority at all. But what am I supposed to do when legit safety issues aren't taken care of? We are trained to load hazmats for a reason and he refused to correctly load it. At the time I didn't know the proper steps to take, but now I do.

over9five

Staff member
Again I stated I see where I went wrong. But I did not rat him out, I told him twice about the problem and he closed a door in my face. I didn't know what else to do? I can't do everyone else's job for them everyday.
I'm just boggled by that last sentence. Why are you trying to do everyones job? You're a Union employee, you just do YOUR job.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Yes, you did. You went to a supervisor and told him what had transpired.
Obviously I was in the wrong in that situation and I do not deny it. I just didn't know what to do at the time. In my mind I wasn't ratting someone out, I was doing my job and getting a safety issue resolved

Rack em

Made the Podium
It does seem like they are using you as a supervisor instead of a preloader. As a safety committee member you should be demonstrating not admonishing.
You should have corrected the problem and then wrote any concerns in the saftey log
This is what the steward said to do in the future, but I didn't know that at the time.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I'm just boggled by that last sentence. Why are you trying to do everyones job? You're a Union employee, you just do YOUR job.
Also, if I see a hazmat not loaded correctly and the preloder refuses to properly load it, then how is it supposed to get loaded correctly? At some point someone has to load it correctly which turns out is supposed to be me. So I do at times have to do other peoples job for them.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You did rat him out and you don't have to do anybody else's job but your own.

We have guys just like you in my building, and they aren't respected or appreciated by anybody but the managers and the other safety committee members.
You really need to get over yourself.

P.S. Remember, you're the one who came here asking for opinions. Don't get upset when you don't hear what you want to hear.