Integrity Issue?????

P

proups

You can refuse to follow instructions if they compromise your integrity or safety. Just make sure you have a witness that agrees with you.

T

trickpony1

proups,
gosh, that's the first post I have ever seen by you that contradicts the "management can do no wrong" philosophy that you so extol.
What happened?

F

fedxsux

**update**

One of the drivers filed grievence, but has he handed it to the center manager, the center manager called him and the steward in the office and they came to a understanding that the driver will get paid for the supe delivering the packages(15 stops x 3min, at overtime rate) and the part-timer will have started his progression

O

ok2bclever

It has always been my understanding that the only reason you can disregard a direct order is if it would threaten yours or someone else's direct safety and I am not talking theoretically or possibly some time in the future.

Having a fellow employee agree with you won't do you squat if you try to stretch this definition.

I have never heard that if you decide it would violate your ethics you could refuse.

I personally wouldn't refuse a direct order for anything except the safety issue if you are out on a limb.

Use the grievance procedure and the company's ethics and trouble lines for all else, but disregard a direct order, even a stupid or what you would consider a dispicable one at the risk of your permanent job loss.

D

dannyboy

If a member of management tells you to do something illegal or that threatens the public safety or your safety, then you have a right to say no.

In all other cases, you work as instructed, and then you file the proper paperwork to take care of the problem.

In no way is integrity an issue here. You can keep your integrity intact but lose your job.

The contract is very clear on this point. With the exceptions listed above, you will work as instructed. Period. And what you feel doesnt make a fiddlers damn to the company or the union when it comes to getting your job back.

So the proper way of handling this situation is to do as instructed and then file a complaint.

If the action is not covered under the contract, but is an itegrity issue, call the UPS hotline. That is what it is there for.

Please take this to heart. There have been many drivers that stood on itegrity issues before a panel, and your heart goes out to them because they have a valid point. But they still did not get their jobs back.

So guide yourself accordingly.

d

P

proups

Danny: I have seen just the opposite. I have seen drivers refuse to do something that management tells them to do when it does not follow UPS procedure, and when they get called into the "principal's office" they quickly come out and then the Division Manager gets involved. Nothing happened to the driver(s) because they refused to do something that didn't follow procedure.

trick: keep your eyes ahead of your work - steering the Good Ship Lollipop!
biggrin.gif

D

dannyboy

Pro, I am tickled pink over what you posted. That is the way it should be. But for much of the company it isnt. And it is a shame.

Most of the management team we have now I would go to bat for without blinking an eye. They are worth their wieght in gold.

Some of the ones out of the past were not worth the ground they stood on.

During those times I consoled myself by repeating "I work for UPS, not you." At times it helped. Going by the video arcade to beat the heck out of the machines after work did at other times. There have also been times, had it not been for the support group of family and friends, I would/could have done something really bad.

So there you have it. Tough job, love the customer part of it, can do without some of the crap we have to eeal with.

d

P

proups

danny: I use "this too shall pass" for bad managers, etc...it has worked for 26 years.