Interested in becoming preload supervisor

RitchieDavies

Trollkiller
I swear, I'm starting to think that these posters are you ain't even know it/Davidmex. And how come so many newbies know about BC? It's possible, but unlikely to me.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I swear, I'm starting to think that these posters are you ain't even know it/Davidmex. And how come so many newbies know about BC? It's possible, but unlikely to me.

Agree with everything you said except the part about me. There's gotta be something to it, because all of these similar posts are being posted in the same (UPS discussion) forum. Some people really need to get a life.

maybaby

bama brown
Hmmmm....here's a tip....if you can lie and be unreasonable then you can be a supervisor....good luck. I really mean it, good luck....I couldn't do it.

browndingo

I was recently hired as a seasonal worker part time doing the preload shift. My supervisors and managers believe with my leadership experience and work ethic that ill be a great supervisor. It offers immediate benefits(yay!) more pay (yay) and longer hours and I will be promoted from seasonal employee to permanent. They asked me to write a letter of intent which means why you want to become a leader there. My goal here is to become a driver, which I discussed with one of my supervisors who said I have a better chance to be one as a supervisor than a regular worker. Is this the case in all areas?

It is not the case in all areas, but it might be the case in yours. You should know, however that while a PT management job is "permanent" it is not a union covered position, so you will not be gaining any union seniority. When a driving position opens up, it is first made available to union employees based on seniority. If no union employees bid for the job, then UPS can hire "off the street." That's when you would be eligible.

There are places, like the small center where I work, where most of the part time insiders have many years of seniority and all of them who ever wanted to go into full time driving have already done so. They are making more than the starting wage for a part time supervisor and their benefits are free. Going into PT management would be a pay cut for them, so it's a no-brainer to stay where they are. The people who are moving up - both into PT management and into full time driving - are relatively new hires. This is not the case everywhere, though. At larger centers there will be a steady stream of part-timers with seniority who have been waiting to rise to the top of the seniority list in order to go full time. As a PT sup, you will be at the back of the line behind all of them.

If a driving position does come up and no part-timers bid for it, even then you will not have any "official" inside track for the job as a part-time supe. Unofficially, though, you would be a strong "off the street" candidate because working as a pre-load supe you would have a lot more familiarity with your operation than someone truly walking in off the street. Many centers are also now sending their PT supes to driving school and using them as optional day coverage drivers and peak seasonal drivers, so you might even have a chance to get your training out of the way and get some valuable experience. Ask your supervisor if there is a chance of this happening.

The usual route to full-time driving would be to start as a permanent part-time insider, gain seniority, then bid for a full-time driving job when one opens up. That means waiting your turn, but when your turn comes up you have a guaranteed shot at the job. If you can't get on as a permanent insider, then part-time management is next best if you want to gain some operations experience while waiting for an "off the street" opportunity. Part time management also would open another possible career route for you which is going into full-time management.

In the short term, if you can't get on as a permanent insider, I'd say PT management is definitely better than temporary part-time.