Interesting Call In's

Nimnim

The Nim
I know of an incident where someone sent a text to their supervisor saying something along the lines of "phone not working can't come in."

browndevil

Cause in the history of dogdom, no dog has given birth to a litter without a human there to help out?

What is your point? Because its been done before? In our culture dogs are part of the family. That is why I responded the way I did. If the tables were turned and I was the Center Mgr taking the sick I would have clearly understood.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
What is your point? Because its been done before? In our culture dogs are part of the family. That is why I responded the way I did. If the tables were turned and I was the Center Mgr taking the sick I would have clearly understood.
One of our cats even looks under the weather and I'm picking up the phone.

brownIEman

And I suppose you would have run the vacant route and paid the grievances filed for you running it as well.

I am a big dog lover, have owned dogs, and bred dogs. Never once did they need my help to have a litter. It is not a valid reason for putting your employer and co-workers in a bind, is my point.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
And I suppose you would have run the vacant route and paid the grievances filed for you running it as well.

I am a big dog lover, have owned dogs, and bred dogs. Never once did they need my help to have a litter. It is not a valid reason for putting your employer and co-workers in a bind, is my point.
BrownIEMan is right.

Since no one has an obligation to give any reason for being late or sick, it is not a valid reason for putting your employer and co-workers in a bind.

A valid reason is "will not be working today. emergency conditions, therefore I am expecting the unexpected, leaving myself an out for safeties sake and the big picture"

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro

This is where I have to disagree.

While I think you and Sleeve are mixing moral obligation with text-book requirements, my stance is as long as you have a sick day to use, I could care less what reason was given, if any reason was given at all.

Sometimes it hurts my operation more than others, but sick days are your contractual right. Who am I to argue that? If my employees call in sick and just say "I want to use a sick day" .....okey dokey...call me tomorrow and let me know how you're doing.

As a management person, if my operational plans get ruined by someone calling in, then I need to seriously reassess how I'm putting my plans together. With 35 people working for me, I'd be crazy to just assume that everyone will be there every single day and not leave some wiggle room in the plans. That's just a total and complete failure on my part, and no-one else's.

Now, back to my intention of this thread....This still does not discount the entertainment value I get from peoples' hilarious and, at times, pitiful reasons for calling in that they provide to me on their own accord...

I like the ones that literally tell me some huge, convoluted story for the better part of 5 minutes just for me to say, "You got a sick day to use? Yes? K, see you tomorrow."

menotyou

bella amicizia
I called in sick once because my dog had died the night before and I was a complete emotional basket case.

Didnt catch any grief over it because (a) my supervisor was also a "dog person" and (b) it was the first time I had callen in sick in over three years.
When Chunkie was 'going', they let me bring him to work. I'd park my car right next to my work station at DA(Yes, inside the building). I'd have the door open and he would just watch me work or sleep. When he left me, I was given 2 days off because of a family member's death. That center manager is my current on-car. I never say no when he asks me for a favor.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I called in one time to say I needed the day off because a water pipe had broke in my basement during the night and I had 4 inches of water I needed to deal with. My center manager said "we really need you today- you have to come in. I said "see you tomorrow" and hung up on him. He later tried to appoligze but I was so PO at him I just shook my head and walked away. What a jerk.

I can't imagine anyone feeling the need to apologize to you ...unless they just met you. :wink2:

Johney

I called in one time. I was really sick,got the "man we really,really need you were so short guys we're going to have to cut routes. So me feeling bad for my fellow employees I got up and came in........only to see 3 guys getting the day off. Last time I did that.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
When Chunkie was 'going', they let me bring him to work. I'd park my car right next to my work station at DA(Yes, inside the building). I'd have the door open and he would just watch me work or sleep. When he left me, I was given 2 days off because of a family member's death. That center manager is my current on-car. I never say no when he asks me for a favor.
The decent are demoted, the demons are promoted.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Agreed. If challenged for a reason I would use "blood in my stool". I then would ask if they would like a picture.

I tell them that it is personal and none of their business, then hang up.
Fact of the matter here in the Central Region is that we have what is termed a no-fault attendance policy, as we do not get paid if we do not work.
We don't have paid sick days.
As long as we don't have 6 occurrences in 9 months, we are in compliance.
For me it really isn't as much indigence as it is CYA.
If I don't give them a reason, I can't be accused of dishonesty.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
I like the honest call ins...."Hey man, I won't be in today. I'd like to use a sick day." me-"Oh no, caught a bug, eh?"

"No, just don't feel like working today."

Oooookey dokey!

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
This is where I have to disagree.

While I think you and Sleeve are mixing moral obligation with text-book requirements, my stance is as long as you have a sick day to use, I could care less what reason was given, if any reason was given at all.

Sometimes it hurts my operation more than others, but sick days are your contractual right. Who am I to argue that? If my employees call in sick and just say "I want to use a sick day" .....okey dokey...call me tomorrow and let me know how you're doing.

As a management person, if my operational plans get ruined by someone calling in, then I need to seriously reassess how I'm putting my plans together. With 35 people working for me, I'd be crazy to just assume that everyone will be there every single day and not leave some wiggle room in the plans. That's just a total and complete failure on my part, and no-one else's.

Now, back to my intention of this thread....This still does not discount the entertainment value I get from peoples' hilarious and, at times, pitiful reasons for calling in that they provide to me on their own accord...

I like the ones that literally tell me some huge, convoluted story for the better part of 5 minutes just for me to say, "You got a sick day to use? Yes? K, see you tomorrow."

Now that's a real manager.

We had one habitual comp offender call in because "he had a fruit loop stuck up his nose". I'm not kidding. It took Management years to fire him because they just could not seem to stick to the process.

brownIEman

Now that's a real manager.

We had one habitual comp offender call in because "he had a fruit loop stuck up his nose". I'm not kidding. It took Management years to fire him because they just could not seem to stick to the process.

This employee put those management in a no win situation. By eventually firing him, his management failed, as any firing is a failure on mngmnts part, our role is to develop successful employees, not successful terminations. Yet each time he should have been disciplined to follow the process, and his management gave him "just one more chance" instead, again, they failed. Failed to follow the process that would lead to the eventual aforementioned failure to produce a productive employee. Greatly frustrating, but, as the captain said, "Some men you just can't reach"

raceanoncr

I remember reading a district injury report, and somebody actually reported that he was getting into his seat in the package car and sat on one of his testicles.

Uh, could this, uh, maybe, be tied to the thread where the injured employee had to demonstrate to all how such injury occured? In detail!