Interesting Call In's

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
Over the years, I have answered the phones for many, many call in's. Most are pretty standard, some sound legit, other's are painfully obvious that they are full of crap. Then there were a couple that were complete WTF moments. Have you gotten any off-the-wall, crazy reasons why people were calling in? Please share them if you do!

Here's a couple of my examples:

1. Employee called in and said he couldn't come in that night because he was stuck on Mars. (Yes, he was talking about the planet). I asked him how he got stuck there, and he said he couldn't find a taxi.

2. Was raining one day, so employee called in due to "Bicycle doesn't have very good windshield wipers." He was not being sarcastic. Completely serious. He also only ever drove a car to work. Mind you, this was the same employee who was sent home one night for being sick, and then showed back up to his area an hour later and told his sup that he couldn't find the exit (about 30 yards from his work area).

ppHATE

Craziest I have ever received was a guy who claimed he went camping and was now lost in the woods... Then asked me to call the cops.

ppHATE

And yea, received one from a guy who claimed he was in witness protection and wanted to know if I could put in his sick days.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Over the years, I have answered the phones for many, many call in's. Most are pretty standard, some sound legit, other's are painfully obvious that they are full of crap. Then there were a couple that were complete WTF moments. Have you gotten any off-the-wall, crazy reasons why people were calling in? Please share them if you do!

Here's a couple of my examples:

1. Employee called in and said he couldn't come in that night because he was stuck on Mars. (Yes, he was talking about the planet). I asked him how he got stuck there, and he said he couldn't find a taxi.

2. Was raining one day, so employee called in due to "Bicycle doesn't have very good windshield wipers." He was not being sarcastic. Completely serious. He also only ever drove a car to work. Mind you, this was the same employee who was sent home one night for being sick, and then showed back up to his area an hour later and told his sup that he couldn't find the exit (about 30 yards from his work area).

I called in on Valentine's Day back when I was a pickoff, probably 4+ years ago. I had just started dating this gorgeous half-German half-black chick and was taking her home after spending the day with her.. then realized I wanted to nail her that night. I called my PT sup and the conversation went like this:

Me: "Hey man, I can't come in tonight. I'm uh.. lost in Virginia."
PT Sup: *silence*
Me: "Dude, you there?"
PT Sup: "Yeah. How are you lost in Virginia?"
Me: "Don't know. I'm just lost."
PT Sup: "You can't find a map?"
Me: "Nope. I'm *that* lost. I'll see you tomorrow! *click"

I got two more phone calls right before my start time that went to voicemail with him telling me he needed to come in, even if I got back 3+ hours late. The next day, we had a chuckle about it.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
I called in on Valentine's Day back when I was a pickoff, probably 4+ years ago. I had just started dating this gorgeous half-German half-black chick and was taking her home after spending the day with her.. then realized I wanted to nail her that night. I called my PT sup and the conversation went like this:

Me: "Hey man, I can't come in tonight. I'm uh.. lost in Virginia."
PT Sup: *silence*
Me: "Dude, you there?"
PT Sup: "Yeah. How are you lost in Virginia?"
Me: "Don't know. I'm just lost."
PT Sup: "You can't find a map?"
Me: "Nope. I'm *that* lost. I'll see you tomorrow! *click"

I got two more phone calls right before my start time that went to voicemail with him telling me he needed to come in, even if I got back 3+ hours late. The next day, we had a chuckle about it.

If you were lost in Virginia, then where were you supposed to be?

Edit: I don't mean to pry. You can just say "a state that isn't Virginia"....

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I called in sick once because my dog had died the night before and I was a complete emotional basket case.

Didnt catch any grief over it because (a) my supervisor was also a "dog person" and (b) it was the first time I had callen in sick in over three years.

Ms.PacMan

We had a female driver call in because she had a splinter in her butt. Not sure what excuse she used the other 34 times she called in that year. :rolleyes:

BURMDPsupe

My all time favorite call in from one of my employees was "I'm stuck on a sand bar." I knew the employee had a boat and went out on the weekends and this call came in before the Sunday shift started.

M-

Ms.PacMan

Did she get fired. Ours here did. Think she had like 60 call ins by July.
No - her and another male driver together had 70 sick days that year. Our new center manager put his foot down and being the ass kisser she is - straightened up until she finally got an inside bid and the male driver is working the workman's comp angle hard.