Internal processes for handling employee concerns where you work. Effective?

In other words:

I talk a big game but when pressed for details the silence speaks volumes.
I don't think anyone who has contacted outside agency's about ups should post anything about it on a website. This would be stupid and open you up for a lot of trouble down the road. So you baiting someone into divulging this is irresponsible.

DS

Fenderbender
I don't think anyone who has contacted outside agency's about ups should post anything about it on a website. This would be stupid and open you up for a lot of trouble down the road. So you baiting someone into divulging this is irresponsible.
Spoken like a sage.

I know a driver that was fired for refusing to drive certain feeder tractors(old Mack cab-overs?)
He found the fumes overwhelming.
He was fired for failing to follow instructions and hired a lawyer when the union got nowhere.

He is back and was compensated fully for all time lost.

I also agree that ups open door policy is a sham.
One more NO

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Integ

During an issue that remained unsolved at UPS, I did request government intervention. After 6 months of total silence, I recieved a letter stating they appriciated my contacting them, but that they found no evidence of any wrong doing by the company.

This was particularly interesting in that the only way they could have actually "investigated" the issue would have been to contact me because I had the evidence. So it was swept under the rug. IT happens when a company makes good sized donations to the people that are suposed to monitor them.

Safety committee's and Keter audits are another way of dodging the bullet, and paying to play.

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Originally Posted by menotyou
This particular issue I will keep private. Thank you for asking, I.
In other words:

I talk a big game but when pressed for details the silence speaks volumes.
WHy not, when you are there to speak not volumes, but libraries.

d

menotyou

bella amicizia
Extremely on point!!

steward71

Considering the variety of Government agencies that oversee the Union and the company, we do have ways of addressing concerns. You just have to have the cajones.

you need the balls and the bat as well so you can hit them hard the first so they can see the stars of not doing again a second time.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
All Above,

Thanks for your participation in this discussion thread!

When the internal processes in a large corporation fail to effectively address employee concerns as they claim and are intended, what option does the concerned employee have?

I am very interested in your perspectives and anyone else's who would care to give one.

Sincerely,
I
Let me tell you something about the 'internal processes in a large corporation'.................they are designed to fail from the get go. Many companies simply don't want them to be a success. The processes are nothing more than white wash. They make the company look pretty but do nothing for the employee. I've experienced this way to many time with UPS to believe for one second that Corporate truly cares about it employees. It cares about the money, it listens to the shareholders because the shareholders have the weapon to wield. The employees, not so much, unless they are willing to go through the process and force the issues at hand. Many are unwilling to take the time to do so. Instead they (employees) bow to the pressure from above. They cave in. Many are too afraid of losing their jobs, being targets of retaliation, even of being classified as whistle blowers. It's not just management pressure either. In some ways it's peer pressure. The only way the internal processes for complaints become legitimate is when every single employee stands up to be counted as one. When every single employee bands together and forces themselves to be heard, as a unit. It doesn't matter, union or non union. Until that day happens there will never be an effective 'open door' policy for complaints.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Let me tell you something about the 'internal processes in a large corporation'.................they are designed to fail from the get go. Many companies simply don't want them to be a success. The processes are nothing more than white wash. They make the company look pretty but do nothing for the employee. I've experienced this way to many time with UPS to believe for one second that Corporate truly cares about it employees. It cares about the money, it listens to the shareholders because the shareholders have the weapon to wield. The employees, not so much, unless they are willing to go through the process and force the issues at hand. Many are unwilling to take the time to do so. Instead they (employees) bow to the pressure from above. They cave in. Many are too afraid of losing their jobs, being targets of retaliation, even of being classified as whistle blowers. It's not just management pressure either. In some ways it's peer pressure. The only way the internal processes for complaints become legitimate is when every single employee stands up to be counted as one. When every single employee bands together and forces themselves to be heard, as a unit. It doesn't matter, union or non union. Until that day happens there will never be an effective 'open door' policy for complaints.
dilligaf,

Well said.

Here is a link to an interesting article regarding internal whistleblowing: Encouraging Internal Whistleblowing in Organizations

I think large corporations are particularly skilled in the barriers to internal whistleblowing.

I do disagree with the solution and the hopelessness that you express. It is not going to take everybody to stand up. That my friend is a cop-out to those who are feeling like they want to stand up.

I do think that it is going to take concerted, unified action, but it definitely does't have to be everybody. Just those with courage.

Do you have the courage?

Sincerely,
I

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
dilligaf,

Well said.

Here is a link to an interesting article regarding internal whistleblowing: Encouraging Internal Whistleblowing in Organizations

I think large corporations are particularly skilled in the barriers to internal whistleblowing.

I do disagree with the solution and the hopelessness that you express. It is not going to take everybody to stand up. That my friend is a cop-out to those who are feeling like they want to stand up.

I do think that it is going to take concerted, unified action, but it definitely does't have to be everybody. Just those with courage.

Do you have the courage?

Sincerely,
I
Hopelessness, that's a funny word. Hopelessness. You think I'm copping out? Why would you think that? Let me correct that error in your judgement:

I'm not going to go into exact details right now but I will tell you this: Monday night I called the 800# and filed a complaint against my OR. I also called my HR rep during the day. Tues night I called the 800# to add followup. Wednesday I called my HR rep again. Fri afternoon my HR rep called me back and wanted to talk. Sorry to busy. He called me this morning.

Here's the jist of the conversation and it was pretty much one sided - MINE. I've had second thoughts about having this conversation over the phone. I want a meeting in person, face to face, no phone lines. 4 people to attend: HR, OR, STEWARD and MYSELF. I gave a preview of the conversation of how I caught my OR in a blatant bald faced lie. I told my HR that the intent of said meeting was to be for me to air my opinions and that HR could do what they will with the meeting but it was my intent to call my OR a liar (my momma always taught me to say what I needed to the persons face). I didn't touch on the events of Tue, Wed, Thurs or Fri. You are not going to have the opportunity to have the information I have prior to our meeting and allow you the time to come up with a story between the two of you. You need to see OR's face in person when I confront him. He gave me a warning letter (ART. 37) Professional Conduct. Where is his professional conduct? He accused me of stealing time. He lied to my steward about the events of Monday and that is NOT the only lie I caught him in this week. I'm done. I also told my HR that NLRB was going to be filed (again-both meanings. 2nd NLRB and 2nd time I told him this week)

Now that I have corrected your error in judgement of my character, you may rescind part your earlier statement.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hopelessness, that's a funny word. Hopelessness. You think I'm copping out? Why would you think that? Let me correct that error in your judgement:

I'm not going to go into exact details right now but I will tell you this: Monday night I called the 800# and filed a complaint against my OR. I also called my HR rep during the day. Tues night I called the 800# to add followup. Wednesday I called my HR rep again. Fri afternoon my HR rep called me back and wanted to talk. Sorry to busy. He called me this morning.

Here's the jist of the conversation and it was pretty much one sided - MINE. I've had second thoughts about having this conversation over the phone. I want a meeting in person, face to face, no phone lines. 4 people to attend: HR, OR, STEWARD and MYSELF. I gave a preview of the conversation of how I caught my OR in a blatant bald faced lie. I told my HR that the intent of said meeting was to be for me to air my opinions and that HR could do what they will with the meeting but it was my intent to call my OR a liar (my momma always taught me to say what I needed to the persons face). I didn't touch on the events of Tue, Wed, Thurs or Fri. You are not going to have the opportunity to have the information I have prior to our meeting and allow you the time to come up with a story between the two of you. You need to see OR's face in person when I confront him. He gave me a warning letter (ART. 37) Professional Conduct. Where is his professional conduct? He accused me of stealing time. He lied to my steward about the events of Monday and that is NOT the only lie I caught him in this week. I'm done. I also told my HR that NLRB was going to be filed (again-both meanings. 2nd NLRB and 2nd time I told him this week)

Now that I have corrected your error in judgement of my character, you may rescind part your earlier statement.

I was eagerly awaiting your reply ... when I saw his post I laughed and thought, "The goober has just stepped in it!"

Integrity

Binge Poster

dilligaf,

Well, I can certainly take the answer to my question as yes you have courage.

I admire courage in people.

I did not mean to imply that you were hopeless or that you were copping out. As I read it now it obviously seemed that way. Please forgive me for not choosing my words more carefully.

I am very very sorry for this.

Based upon what you have said and your courage, I would want you on my team any day.

Sincerely,
I