UPS's master strike plan???

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
Let’s call carol and get her opinion on the matter.
The only opinion that should be collected from her is what fragrance do the new gender neutral bathrooms identify with. Personally I feel like the mixture of dog :censored2:e and bug spray is an appropriate scent.

Undertow

I am just wondering what her plan is, maybe hold out and starve people out to come back to work? everything i stated is being planned, I was just wondering other peoples thoughts.

1997 plan was to get out of central states pension(maybe others ) to a company run one. Things are heating up the same as the 97 but they are preparing way more. All they did back then was send the sups to the accounts letting them know that packages maybe stuck in the system and no guarantees. UPS tried so hard to get a vote on their last final offer during the strike, they passed out their offer to the strike lines. It had a sign on bonus so probably would have passed being part time majority would be good with anything with nice quick big check. The union never let it go up for vote. They even asked president Clinton to force us back to work, he said no and went on vacation. In 1997 they had a plan, it didnt work, I had to watch how the strike played out to come to this conclusion, never knowing during what it was. I guess they will go out on strike this time with no plan is why I need my head checked? Or do you have the answer?
There's similarities to the situation in '97 and where things are now, but there's also significant differences too.

The goal of the company from beginning to end of negotiations is always to find a wedge in the rank and file and try to exploit it for all it's worth. 26 years ago, Carey was coming off a very tough reelection where he barely edged out Hoffa and the company might well have thought he wouldn't have the cache to hold a far more fractured rank and file together for days let alone weeks. RPS was viewed than as a potential emerging alternative among customers with the ability to take on substantially more volume. Economy was pretty decent at the time and the possibility of UPS grinding to a near full halt, while certainly causing complications for markets, wasn't necessarily viewed as a potential catalyst for creating a potential recession.

Today? It's a good bet the boardroom still would love to cripple the union especially in a very public way if it thought there was any feasible way of pulling it off. The RPS of the late 20th century is now the clown show known as FedEx Ground and has a far worse reputation, so the odds are much greater this time that volume lost in an upcoming strike would come back far sooner than the rate it did in '97. The bulk of any layoffs ensuing due to loss of volume would hit the newest and mostly youngest hourlies which is the exact audience the company would love most to turn on the union - potentially wiping out a future pipeline of dues paying members thus "Starving the beast".

The potential problem with that strategy? First, a larger share of the public shares a negative view of big corporations than it did in '97 due in part because they've come to expect the just that kind of behavior from them. Second, if they couldn't get enough rank and file members to cross in '97 back when even the youngest generation showed up most everyday for work, there's not much reason to think they'd succeed in motivating the current youngest employees, most of whom are lucky to have one week of vacation per year let alone two, to cross when the heat index reaches triple digits in what's traditionally the hottest month of the calendar year. Three, O'Brien not only doesn't have Hoffa or close to half of the old guard locals trying to kneecap him as Ron Carey did back in '97, but has the "wind at his back" after obliterating the remaining remnants of that corrupt slate in the not too distant past. There's far less clear cracks for the company to attempt to spit in the union unless it's willing to risk inflicting real and long lasting harm on the economy in a prolonged attempt to create the chaos needed.

Would the board try to anyway? My guess is they wouldn't employ that kind of "nuclear option" at a time where the public side so much with the workers, but unless and/or until there's a TA before midnight Monday night the possibility shouldn't be ruled out.

HarryWarden

The only opinion that should be collected from her is what fragrance do the new gender neutral bathrooms identify with. Personally I feel like the mixture of dog :censored2:e and bug spray is an appropriate scent.
You talk about gender more than any liberal I have ever talked to. You’re obsessed with it and probably projecting a bit

PT Car Washer

The sups in our building have yet to hear any real work stoppage planning, only what do they want to to do, drive, helper etc. Seems to me something planning for something this HUGE would have to have been done ahead of time, this isn’t something they can attempt to accomplish on the fly.
Saw, what I assumed was a PT sup, taking a road test with an OR sup Saturday. A PT OMS has been studying the on line delivery driver methods all week.

Karma...

I think we will absolutely be on strike come 8/1. Just my opinion I don’t think UPS has any intention on meeting the unions demands on Tuesday. I think it’s all for show so they can say ,we tried. We made an offer and they didn’t accept it. I think the company has been planning for this for a long time. Whether that planning or how they execute will be successful who knows.

Buddy does a pickup at one of our biggest customers and they have UPS supervisors working at this location coordinating the outbound and inbound. Every day they work there, they don’t work at the UPS building. All three got told weeks ago their last day there will be 7-28. Back to the building and their assignments haven’t been decided yet. This strike is happening. The company has no intentions of making a deal IMO. Hope I’m wrong.
I think both sean and carol want a strike....so do i........ive been planning and selling since January 2023.......will buy back in when the price is right.....thank you teamsters for the easy $$$$

Its_a_me

There's similarities to the situation in '97 and where things are now, but there's also significant differences too.

The goal of the company from beginning to end of negotiations is always to find a wedge in the rank and file and try to exploit it for all it's worth. 26 years ago, Carey was coming off a very tough reelection where he barely edged out Hoffa and the company might well have thought he wouldn't have the cache to hold a far more fractured rank and file together for days let alone weeks. RPS was viewed than as a potential emerging alternative among customers with the ability to take on substantially more volume. Economy was pretty decent at the time and the possibility of UPS grinding to a near full halt, while certainly causing complications for markets, wasn't necessarily viewed as a potential catalyst for creating a potential recession.

Today? It's a good bet the boardroom still would love to cripple the union especially in a very public way if it thought there was any feasible way of pulling it off. The RPS of the late 20th century is now the clown show known as FedEx Ground and has a far worse reputation, so the odds are much greater this time that volume lost in an upcoming strike would come back far sooner than the rate it did in '97. The bulk of any layoffs ensuing due to loss of volume would hit the newest and mostly youngest hourlies which is the exact audience the company would love most to turn on the union - potentially wiping out a future pipeline of dues paying members thus "Starving the beast".

The potential problem with that strategy? First, a larger share of the public shares a negative view of big corporations than it did in '97 due in part because they've come to expect the just that kind of behavior from them. Second, if they couldn't get enough rank and file members to cross in '97 back when even the youngest generation showed up most everyday for work, there's not much reason to think they'd succeed in motivating the current youngest employees, most of whom are lucky to have one week of vacation per year let alone two, to cross when the heat index reaches triple digits in what's traditionally the hottest month of the calendar year. Three, O'Brien not only doesn't have Hoffa or close to half of the old guard locals trying to kneecap him as Ron Carey did back in '97, but has the "wind at his back" after obliterating the remaining remnants of that corrupt slate in the not too distant past. There's far less clear cracks for the company to attempt to spit in the union unless it's willing to risk inflicting real and long lasting harm on the economy in a prolonged attempt to create the chaos needed.

Would the board try to anyway? My guess is they wouldn't employ that kind of "nuclear option" at a time where the public side so much with the workers, but unless and/or until there's a TA before midnight Monday night the possibility shouldn't be ruled out.
68716183bbbd59631f4246205160c41dd89c120ba8a0330a81d5dfceb57eb5e0.jpg

I have NOT been lurking

Degenerate Member

Enron and others liked it happened after 97

R1wonder

Actually they reach the realization peak is upon us dec 1st
I beg to differ , I had to file a grievance on a pvd last year because I wasn’t working enough. Strange problem to have at ups. I was going out with under 8 and they won’t pay a guarantee, they wanted me doing punch to punch and I refused . Not gonna lighten me all week and screw me come Saturday either . Ups definitely planned ahead and hired a ton of pvd