International/ODC Business.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sober, this seems to be counter productive. If you turn in a sales lead and in the comments write "Paperless Invoice" in theory, somebody from BD will talk to them about the benefits of Paperless Invoice ...

I'm not interested in jeapordizing my job over a "theory".

Nothing against Business Development, but they arent the ones who have to load 24 International packages into the truck and get them to the air shuttle in 4 minutes and 15 seconds while being expected to audit each invoice....and then be threatened with disciplinary action when there is a clerical error on one of those invoices.

What is "counter productive"...is UPS's policy of encouraging drivers to solicit volume and then threatening to fire them when that volume results in international holds.

KidUPS

Nothing against Business Development, but they arent the ones who have to load 24 International packages into the truck and get them to the air shuttle in 4 minutes and 15 seconds while being expected to audit each invoice....and then be threatened with disciplinary action when there is a clerical error on one of those invoices.

What is "counter productive"...is UPS's policy of encouraging drivers to solicit volume and then threatening to fire them when that volume results in international holds.

In my Hub, I do not believe Drivers are held accountable for not auditing invoices. Hell, the operation averages over 15+ holds a night. I do believe, however, that drivers are held accountable for East express service failures in terms of International volume.

drewed

Shankman

No one made you become a UPS driver....

sdf6hr2

the int'l flights i see @sdf, (300s & 757s from canada & mexico; the 11s & 747s from far east park on a different ramp...) anyway, can & mex NDAs are lighter, many more voids and mt-s. freight, cargo and cartage pallets are saving these flights.

KidUPS

And as a driver you can not be forced to turn in a sales lead! Drewed you should use this forum to practice your people skills a little!

Hey Red, honest question here...is there anywhere in the contract that says UPS cannot make its drivers turn in sales lead? Just curious if their is any language in the contract regarding this.

iowa boy

Sober, I feel sorry for you, i really do.

Probably a third of our drivers in my center don't even know that the international shipments have to have an invoice on them unless it is paperless. They don't even have to check to see if there is an invoice on the shipment before they pick it up. To me this is not the drivers job to verify the invoice, (how are you supposed to know if the invoice has the info needed), it just flabbergasts me that you are supposed know what is needed when its the customers responsibility to do this.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
No one made you become a UPS driver....

I have gone to my management and offered to thoroughly and meticulously check each invoice per the methods, and I was willing to commit to never having any more holds....as long as they would put it in writing that I would not be disciplined for failing to get my 20-30 Next Day Air packages to the airport shuttle on time. They weren't too interested in my offer. Basically, I have been given conflicting and mutually exclusive instructions, and no matter what I do I will get bitched at anyway, so I have chosen to minimize the overall number of service failures at the expense of the occasional int'l hold. As Spock once said..."the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."

gandydancer

I have gone to my management and offered to thoroughly and meticulously check each invoice per the methods, and I was willing to commit to never having any more holds....as long as they would put it in writing that I would not be disciplined for failing to get my 20-30 Next Day Air packages to the airport shuttle on time. They weren't too interested in my offer. Basically, I have been given conflicting and mutually exclusive instructions, and no matter what I do I will get bitched at anyway, so I have chosen to minimize the overall number of service failures at the expense of the occasional int'l hold. As Spock once said..."the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."

Why are you disobeying orders in order to cover up your supervisors' incompetence in dispatching you? Presumably not all your international packages come at your last stop. Work as directed, audit the international invoices per the checklist they give you, and when you know that you are going to have to break trace in order to get the NDA's to the shuttle call in and say so. Then it's on them.

gandydancer

Paperless Invoicing will soon make their job obsolete.

As for our International Volume, there is a correlation between our volume and the value of the US Dollar with Small Package Volume as most of the volume is export in nature.

The lower the dollar, the higher the volume, vice versa. At one point the dollar was at a low, but notice that the last month it's been on a tear.

Competition is fierce on import volume, with other carriers cuthroat on even intra-country shipments as UKGuy mentioned a while back. That combined with the nature of import shipments generally lead to larger items that would go SCS. You don't have people in China sending eBay or retail shipments to the United States. You do have the reverse happening.

ODC has nothing do do with imports, except a very few that have to be returned.

I did ODC for eight years, and what made it a pointless job was that the various Customs Departments accepted such a low standard of performance. Paperless Invoicing further attenuates the connection between actual invoices and the "customs invoice", but Worldship (etc.) "invoices" were already, pretty uniformly, garbage, so what was the point?

Anyway, we had 5 ODC, plus one on disability, when we added two more about 9/07, making 8. Which we never had the business for. But five, yes. One went back driving, one of the new ones was dispatched back to the small sort, two were redeployed to Revenue Recovery audit "temporarily" and the one back from disability is probably going to be redeployed as well. So, 4. Mostly lower volume.

dutchups

Sober, I feel sorry for you, i really do.

Probably a third of our drivers in my center don't even know that the international shipments have to have an invoice on them unless it is paperless. They don't even have to check to see if there is an invoice on the shipment before they pick it up. To me this is not the drivers job to verify the invoice, (how are you supposed to know if the invoice has the info needed), it just flabbergasts me that you are supposed know what is needed when its the customers responsibility to do this.

I`m glad weapons aren`t allowed overhere in the number they are in the US, otherwise drivers overhere would be shot on site if they bring in shpmnts with incorrect/incomplete invoices!!!!

Our diadsoftware gives you the opportunity to check an invoice step by step, isn`t that the same with your diads???