Interviewed for a full-time, temporary, seasonal Package Delivery Driver

shafner79

They said I would work part time in pre load, and be a relief driver for vacations and peak season. What are the chances of turning this into a true FULL time position. I have been a delivery driver in the past and had my own dedicated route delivering used car parts (mostly engines and transmissions).

What are the average hours a week for pre load? I would love to get my foot in the door at UPS and am just looking for some more, helpful info.

Thanks!!

AndUPSER

I get about 23-25 hours on preload but it depends a lot on where you're working at in the building. For example, unloaders here only get about 17 1/2 hours a week. Loading will, in most cases, get you more hours.

The wait time can be anywhere from 6 months to 10 years. It strictly depends on how many drivers they need. You will have to ask someone in the building or give the union hall a call.

fres431

Those are weak locals IMO. In parts of CA there are no seasonal staff with the exception of driver helpers and those are limited to 50% staffing going to current part time ups employees. Granted they still have to take 1 out of ever 7 off the street as drivers. As far as feeders they contract with retires, if there are no more class a drivers with hours then and only then do they go outside teamster family to get class a drivers.

shafner79

Well I had an interview, went back for a road test (did excellent), went back again for DOT physical/medical card. Just waiting on my background check....

Do they ever have relief drivers, drive out of multiple HUB's? I live about equal distance from 3 different ones. I told them I would drive from any of them.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Well I had an interview, went back for a road test (did excellent), went back again for DOT physical/medical card. Just waiting on my background check....

Do they ever have relief drivers, drive out of multiple HUB's? I live about equal distance from 3 different ones. I told them I would drive from any of them.
They do in my neck of the woods during peak...

shafner79

I tried asking multiple questions, but our HR is less than helpful and everyone acts clueless. I went through driver training this past week and passed. Now I have to get through my 30 days of inside seniority to get put on the relief list.

UPS4Life

I didn't really know about feeders until after I started training....got some dirty looks when I talked about switching. Still considering it.
You'll get those dirty looks because both east and west center as well as feeders needs all the drivers they can get. Call the union hall and ask what your requirements are for package car or how long do you have to wait till you can switch to feeders if indeed you want to. I was a driver helper and it was a lot of work in n out in n out those are the guys who should make the big bucks not driving from point a to point b but I'm not complaining I like my position in feeders. I just give the package car guys all the credit in the world because they do the work. I'm just glad I never had to go there.

Sent using BrownCafe App

fedex21

I would like to ask, for full-time, temporary, seasonal Package Delivery Drivers.
How many months in a year do you work? Surely you would be working between November to December and I guess the rest is during the summer? Maybe May to September?
Or would it depend on the location/managers?

If you get hired, are you part of the union and have to pay the dues?
Also, do you get benefits (Medical,401k..)?
is the pay somewhat close to a non seasonal temporary package delivery driver?

Thank you...

shafner79

I would like to ask, for full-time, temporary, seasonal Package Delivery Drivers.
How many months in a year do you work? Surely you would be working between November to December and I guess the rest is during the summer? Maybe May to September?
Or would it depend on the location/managers?

If you get hired, are you part of the union and have to pay the dues?
Also, do you get benefits (Medical,401k..)?
is the pay somewhat close to a non seasonal temporary package delivery driver?

Thank you...
I qualified before Christmas and have been driving since September. During peak, I drove 55-60 he's a week, since 12/25 I've driven 3-4 days a week. Guess I'll find out after tomorrow since that seems to be the "end" of peak.