Is being a UPS delivery driver a good career

Hellobrown2000

If you talk to someone who didn't work pt very long and when they did they didn't have to work another job with it or if you talk to someone who has never had a hard job an example would be a job with long hours in :censored2:ty weather conditions with no shade... then that person is more likely to tell you this isn't a good career, your body can't take it, bla bla bla. Talk to someone who has actually struggled and had to bust their ass at a physically demanding job and you'll get a different response. Not everyone is the same therefor not everyone can take the same punishment.

Re-Raise

If you talk to someone who didn't work pt very long and when they did they didn't have to work another job with it or if you talk to someone who has never had a hard job an example would be a job with long hours in :censored2:ty weather conditions with no shade... then that person is more likely to tell you this isn't a good career, your body can't take it, bla bla bla. Talk to someone who has actually struggled and had to bust their ass at a physically demanding job and you'll get a different response. Not everyone is the same therefor not everyone can take the same punishment.
I have worked a lot harder for less money.

When you get some seniority it gets better also.

I have over 30yrs in so I get 8 weeks of vacation plus 3 optional days a year which equals almost 15k to not work each year.

You also get better routes as you gain seniority.

I was pissed yesterday because I had a split I didn't want, so I pretty much dropped anchor. It was beautiful out so I waited for people to answer the door and talked to some people I hadn't been able to talk to for a while. All while making $52 an hour.

Our pension and medical benefits are pretty crazy also.

Don't let management's stress rub off on you and the job can be pretty sweet.

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
Nope it's a POS walk away. Unless being owned and increasingly ridiculous demands by the company sound good. Remember you "can't take it with you." And some people for whatever reason enjoy or are at least completely not bothered by the workload. 140 lb boxes all over 50+ heavy pkgs at schools, beauty supply, basically places with no dock.
Every good time of year for everyone else will be ruined for you. Holidays?? HAHA you'll be cursing your life besides being able to afford stuff for your loved ones you'll barely see.
Summer? Same forget it you will be too exhausted and worried about hydration and rest to enjoy that beautiful time outdoors, bbqing, etc to do anything.
I think the mindset of some is so anal retentive that "work work money money" becomes a robotic mantra. While their loved ones suffer. Now, if you are a single guy doing what you please in spare time anyway, go for it. Otherwise you'll turn into someone that the people you love and work so hard for won't want to be around you anyway.
If they eliminated the stuff that should be shipped freight in the first place, hired enough drivers... Different story. Was hospitalized for psychiatric reasons over the stress. It's more than "not for everyone" it's "not for barely anyone."

I really hope you are just a troll. Give me a break dude

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock

I'm not a driver, just preload, but it's crazy the amount of people on here who consistently complain and whine.

Load 4 trucks in 4 hours and make 11 an hour or unload one truck in 10 hours and make 35 an hour. Which one is harder? I have never driven for UPS a day in my life but I already know the answer.

Box Ox

Load 4 trucks in 4 hours and make 11 an hour or unload one truck in 10 hours and make 35 an hour. Which one is harder? I have never driven for UPS a day in my life but I already know the answer.

I thought I knew the answer too until I went FT. Truth is, they're two different jobs with different things that make them difficult. Which is why a lot of preloaders can't cut it when they try to go driving.

I'm not a driver, just preload, but it's crazy the amount of people on here who consistently complain and whine.

A lot less responsibility as a loader.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I thought I knew the answer too until I went FT. Truth is, they're two different jobs with different things that make them difficult. Which is why a lot of preloaders can't cut it when they try to go driving.

Are you implying that you don't have to know to load 'em to deliver 'em?