Is ground now delivering Express freight?

Serf

The 4Z ursa is and has been delivered by ground for quite some time. If it can be trucked from shipper to recipient in time it is. Instead of flown. Ie; Express saver Albany to Boston for example.

Bald1der

The 4Z ursa is and has been delivered by ground for quite some time. If it can be trucked from shipper to recipient in time it is. Instead of flown. Ie; Express saver Albany to Boston for example.
There’s more now. Some metros, and vast rural swaths, ground delivers Memphis 2 and 3 days. It has the Memphis 2/3 day prefix with a 5 digit identifier ending in G.

HedleyLamarr

There’s more now. Some metros, and vast rural swaths, ground delivers Memphis 2 and 3 days. It has the Memphis 2/3 day prefix with a 5 digit identifier ending in G.
I am fairly certain that we are now flying freight to the destination airport, and then handing it to Ground. I have recently picked up standard overnight pieces going to California that had the 5 digit Ground station ID on them. I am in Alabama, so obviously, it can't be trucked overnight.

Bald1der

I am fairly certain that we are now flying freight to the destination airport, and then handing it to Ground. I have recently picked up standard overnight pieces going to California that had the 5 digit Ground station ID on them. I am in Alabama, so obviously, it can't be trucked overnight.
Yes. Some ramps and local hubs have ground trailers there overnight to pull volume out directly Vs 4zs going to the Ground hubs.

I often work the night sort doing docs and I’ve seen 1 overnight over the past 3 months with a ground identifier MINNG. I frequently see 5 digits in ending in J which I assume means joint. We have a J station, ACYZJ (Atlantic City) in our local group, but it isn’t a joint building (yet). They have grown significantly since the pandemic, added an ops and senior manager, and I don’t believe there is a ground station nearby to absorb them into. So I’m just rambling and fleshing out my thoughts.

Artee

Yes. Some ramps and local hubs have ground trailers there overnight to pull volume out directly Vs 4zs going to the Ground hubs.

I often work the night sort doing docs and I’ve seen 1 overnight over the past 3 months with a ground identifier MINNG. I frequently see 5 digits in ending in J which I assume means joint. We have a J station, ACYZJ (Atlantic City) in our local group, but it isn’t a joint building (yet). They have grown significantly since the pandemic, added an ops and senior manager, and I don’t believe there is a ground station nearby to absorb them into. So I’m just rambling and fleshing out my thoughts.
You are correct that at some ramps freight is being diverted to ground. Our local ramp does not bring in a ground trailer. We actually load it into 3 sided cans and put it on a roller trailer. The ground facilities around here do not have roller mats, so they have to use an extenda belt and download the trailer like a bulk trailer, hence the reason for the unique cans.

So much freight around here was being given to ground, that it was taking to much from the express side. Recently some zip codes have been given back to express to help balance things out.

zeev

Depends on the area if they have enough Ground coverage they will use the cheap final mile. Ground contractors are leaving selling trucks rather than participating in the contractors Olympic Games . Facebook ads for new contractors are getting no response.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I await Dano to tell us how it's all legal.

Always glad to educate the ignorant.

This. FedEx appears to be transferring the Express packages to Ground incrementally, probably testing the waters to see how much they can get away with before the lawsuits start flying and UPS pushes for an equal playing field in terms of labor law. Smith spent a lot of time and money paying-off politicians to either look the other way or pretend that FedEx isn't blatantly violating labor laws (they are). I'd tend to agree with Makaveli in that long-term, this scheme/scam isn't going to fly and that Express will rightfully lose it's RLA status. It's about time.
How does using Express drivers to deliver Express packages jeopardize the RLA status of Express drivers?

Although FedEx has tried to protect itself from consumer lawsuits by claiming they can move packages by any means they choose,
Irrelevant to this issue. UPS was hit with a class action lawsuit for the same thing. Care to take a guess as to how it turned out?

I've been railing against FedEx for years on precisely this topic, and it's time for Express to lose the BS "Express Carrier Exemption" and start exposing the way Smith has paid for special treatment from compliant politicians.
Express is covered with or without the exemption. The only way Express isn't covered is if the RLA is amended (or other appropriate legislation is passed) with verbiage that specifically excludes them.

How does someone who makes such an effort to sound informed about these things manage to get things so wrong? There's a wealth of information about this out there in cases heard and decided by the courts and the National Mediation Board - why do you choose to ignore ALL OF IT?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Always glad to educate the ignorant.

How does using Express drivers to deliver Express packages jeopardize the RLA status of Express drivers?

Irrelevant to this issue. UPS was hit with a class action lawsuit for the same thing. Care to take a guess as to how it turned out?

Express is covered with or without the exemption. The only way Express isn't covered is if the RLA is amended (or other appropriate legislation is passed) with verbiage that specifically excludes them.

How does someone who makes such an effort to sound informed about these things manage to get things so wrong? There's a wealth of information about this out there in cases heard and decided by the courts and the National Mediation Board - why do you choose to ignore ALL OF IT?
The RLA status of Express drivers depends on the 2 opcos remaining distinct and separate. You know that, and the lawyers know that, which is why FedEx Express will eventually lose it's special RLA Kryptonite. Try as you might to keep down the mess and smell, the manure is still manure, so spread it however you see fit. Is that a typo or did you say "Using Express drivers to deliver Express packages"? So sorry, sir, but GROUND drivers are delivering EXPRESS packages. Do you even know what the issue is here? Apparently not. That's pretty ignorant.

Again, you deflect on freight movement. The point IS that charging someone for a service they don't receive is fraud, and IS directly relevant to this issue because the freight is NOT getting delivered. When Ground ships it back to Express because they can't deliver it and your frozen transplant eyeball thaws or Uncle Herbert's medications go bad and he dies, the consumer is getting the shaft...hard. Sure, it's absolutely above board to charge someone for a premium service which they do NOT receive. Not. You don't mention whether or not UPS was actually getting the freight to the consumer, which I suspect that they were, given that it's UPS and not Fred's Pretend Express Company. Keep depending on the "we can get it there anyway we want" verbiage and see how much longer that lasts, OK? Last time I checked, Fred and Raj were still charging exorbitant Express rates and including various surcharges to boost profits while simultaneous failing the customer on multiple fronts.

The whole premise of the Railway Labor Act of 1934 (!!!!) was to prevent a national disruption of the economy due to the critical nature of the RAILROADS...in 1934, when trucking was in it's infancy and railroads were actually critical for nearly everything. If the railroads shut down in 1934, it would have definitely disrupted the entire economy."Express" in those days was REA, and they depended on the railroads to move their packages. If FedEx Express dried-up and blew away tomorrow it would NOT disrupt the national economy like a nationwide railroad strike would have (in 1934) or even today. That volume would simply transfer over to other carriers. Sorry, but there is simply no comparison between the railroads and FedEx Express. Smith and his defenders (like you) have always maintained that FedEx Express was some special entity that deserved special treatment. No, and NO, and NO again!! There is no reason for FedEx to be categorized as an "airline", especially now, when it's abundantly clear that FedEx is a Systems Integrator, just like UPS. Every package they divert to the new "hybrid" is further evidence that FedEx Express does NOT deserve to be classified as an airline. The RLA exists solely to serve Fred S and his successors by making it essentially impossible to organize the company, and Smith has leveraged the RLA status hard over the years, extorting Boeing on 777 orders and calling-in his favors with politicians every time the RLA is questioned in Congress because "Removing FedEx Express from RLA jurisdiction could expose our customers at any time to local work stoppages that interrupt the flow of their time-sensitive, high-value shipments through our global network". That is straight from Satan's mouth in 2009 when noises were made about reclassification. God, what a liar.

This is why FedEx tries so very hard to be an "airline", with airport station identifiers where there is no airport, and closed facilities where union organizers (or anyone else for that matter) are forbidden to set foot on company property. This is why you never see The United Way on FedEx property, or law enforcement except in instances where there is an active crime or investigation. Our Safety Focal tried (in vain) to have someone from our state's Commercial Vehicle Safety Department speak to RTDs, only to be shut down because Legal said "NO ACCESS". By keeping EVERYONE out, they also keep the Teamster's out.

It's a huge scam which has run its course and needs to end. Keep trying, OK? They really need to get better shills.

Last edited:

yadig

The RLA status of Express drivers depends on the 2 opcos remaining distinct and separate. You know that, and the lawyers know that, which is why FedEx Express will eventually lose it's special RLA Kryptonite. Try as you might to keep down the mess and smell, the manure is still manure, so spread it however you see fit. Is that a typo or did you say "Using Express drivers to deliver Express packages"? So sorry, sir, but GROUND drivers are delivering EXPRESS packages. Do you even know what the issue is here? Apparently not. That's pretty ignorant.

Again, you deflect on freight movement. The point IS that charging someone for a service they don't receive is fraud, and IS directly relevant to this issue because the freight is NOT getting delivered. When Ground ships it back to Express because they can't deliver it and your frozen transplant eyeball thaws or Uncle Herbert's medications go bad and he dies, the consumer is getting the shaft...hard. Sure, it's absolutely above board to charge someone for a premium service which they do NOT receive. Not. You don't mention whether or not UPS was actually getting the freight to the consumer, which I suspect that they were, given that it's UPS and not Fred's Pretend Express Company. Keep depending on the "we can get it there anyway we want" verbiage and see how much longer that lasts, OK? Last time I checked, Fred and Raj were still charging exorbitant Express rates and including various surcharges to boost profits while simultaneous failing the customer on multiple fronts.

The whole premise of the Railway Labor Act of 1934 (!!!!) was to prevent a national disruption of the economy due to the critical nature of the RAILROADS...in 1934, when trucking was in it's infancy and railroads were actually critical for nearly everything. If the railroads shut down in 1934, it would have definitely disrupted the entire economy."Express" in those days was REA, and they depended on the railroads to move their packages. If FedEx Express dried-up and blew away tomorrow it would NOT disrupt the national economy like a nationwide railroad strike would have (in 1934) or even today. That volume would simply transfer over to other carriers. Sorry, but there is simply no comparison between the railroads and FedEx Express. Smith and his defenders (like you) have always maintained that FedEx Express was some special entity that deserved special treatment. No, and NO, and NO again!! There is no reason for FedEx to be categorized as an "airline", especially now, when it's abundantly clear that FedEx is a Systems Integrator, just like UPS. Every package they divert to the new "hybrid" is further evidence that FedEx Express does NOT deserve to be classified as an airline. The RLA exists solely to serve Fred S and his successors by making it essentially impossible to organize the company, and Smith has leveraged the RLA status hard over the years, extorting Boeing on 777 orders and calling-in his favors with politicians every time the RLA is questioned in Congress because "Removing FedEx Express from RLA jurisdiction could expose our customers at any time to local work stoppages that interrupt the flow of their time-sensitive, high-value shipments through our global network". That is straight from Satan's mouth in 2009 when noises were made about reclassification. God, what a liar.

This is why FedEx tries so very hard to be an "airline", with airport station identifiers where there is no airport, and closed facilities where union organizers (or anyone else for that matter) are forbidden to set foot on company property. This is why you never see The United Way on FedEx property, or law enforcement except in instances where there is an active crime or investigation. Our Safety Focal tried (in vain) to have someone from our state's Commercial Vehicle Safety Department speak to RTDs, only to be shut down because Legal said "NO ACCESS". By keeping EVERYONE out, they also keep the Teamster's out.

It's a huge scam which has run its course and needs to end. Keep trying, OK? They really need to get better shills.
Dano should’ve got into politics.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If Express has no employees, or ceases to exist entirely because Ground, what difference would losing RLA status make?
Correct, of course, but that won't happen because Express will always have FO and certain ZIP codes that Ground won't be able to handle, and this is what Corporate will cling to as they defend the RLA. "We're still an airline because we fly freight and deliver a select few packages, so our status should not change". Never mind that the only airline workers are the pilots and the people who work directly at the ramp, while the remaining 85% of the company is either the hybrid model or just plain Ground delivering Express.

Artee

Facebook ads for new contractors are getting no response.
Thats not surprising. Someone mentioned in another thread that FDX has a team out looking for savvy business people on facebook and Craigslist. I sure hope thats a joke. I seriously doubt that most savvy business people are hoping an ad pops up for their next multi-million dollar venture on those two sites.

yadig

FedEx ground will eventually cave in because of FedEx’s control mentality. Why would you start a business that you can only grow so big or get penalized? Keeping “good” employees will be hard for contractors. Etc….,

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Dano should’ve got into politics.
Another angle that Dano "forgets" is that when a customer tenders a package to Express and simultaneously pays high Express rates AND surcharges, what are they actually getting for their money? If their package never flies on an airplane, why is there a surcharge? Since Express now routes URSA codes directly to Ground facilities, why would a surcharge be applied in the first place? Also, what happens when the package bounces between the 2 opcos when Ground decides they cannot handle it or vice versa. He is like a politician, because he wants to have his cake and eat it too, while simultaneously lying about what's really happening to protect his "god", the corporation.

bacha29

It is simply that. An EXEMPTION.. What forces were in play that made Fat Freddy deserving of that exemption? More importantly is he today still using that exemption in a manner that is within the boundaries set forth in that exemption? Or is he simply exploiting it as merely an anti union weapon? If rule of law spelling out the terms and conditions by which Fat Freddy can use his exemption do not exist rest assured there will be such rules and constraints in place someday in the not too distant future.

Given that Fat Freddy has ceased being predominately an air freight carrier for quite some time now. other carriers are probably waiting until the conversion matures....then they'll pounce on it.