Is IE Department incompetent or just plain lazy?

pretzel_man

I see the center manager come running downstairs after a conference call, run over to the "blue cart computer" and look at the truck colors. Then, he makes some add/cuts, and looks at the truck colors, again. Not the dispatcher, he is hiding in his office. I have yet to see them care about anything other than that. Is the color red? His head is sweating, if it is. Drivers that have 29+ years in can't understand why they do what they do. I have seen add/cut sheets with one stop on them. The paper wasted in my building on add/cuts in one year would reach the moon. We have IE come in now and then, and they say we should not have anywhere near that many add/cuts. Yet, there he(the dispatcher)sits in his chair, day after day. Hiding in his office, told to stay there because of too many harassment complaints from the employees.
This has nothing to do with the IE people.

The problem you mention is real. I am not trying to deny that. Here is what happens....

There is a metric called dispatch in range. It is meant to measure how good the plans are and how well they are being followed. The concept is good generally. However it can cause some bad behavior. Move one stop in a neighborhood to make the number look good.

There are other much more important metrics. NDPPH, and mileage index. They are meant to say are the hours and miles changing in the same ratio as packages and stops do.

Making a poor dispatch decision makes a less important metric look good, but hurts the more important one. Some managers just do not get it....

Both metrics can be met if the plans are good to begin with. A good trace first, then a good plan, then a dispatch that matches that good plan....

When done right, creating plans takes less time and produces better results.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I agree with you and wish I could get your sensibilities into my division/district managers head. There are a few managers on here that I respect. You being one of them. I don't blame my center manager. He's doing what he's told. Maybe the division/district is, too. I'm not sure anymore. I just wish some common sense would prevail. We are losing good customers because of it. I refuse to do another sales lead as I can't service the customers I have correctly.

Rubicon

Part of my area was re-looped a couple of years ago with the implementation of PAS/EDD. In the re-loop, they neglected to move one street in the middle of a very rural subdivision. This street only has one residence currently built on it. This subdivision is now on a drivers route adjacent to mine.

About a dozen times in the last couple years I have spoken with my management team to get this street moved to the correct unit. My on car says it's out of his hands & can only be corrected by IE. He says he has forwarded the move information to IE and doesn't know why it hasn't been implemented.

Suffice to say the lady of the house must have recently got her hands on an LTD Commodities catalog. Was there for a delivery 4 days this past week. This stop is 4.8 miles round trip off my area! Figure I burned 2 gallons of their gas just this week to make service on these parcels. Spoke with the driver on the adjacent route and he says he is in that same subdivision on a daily basis. Done beating my head against the wall & accepted that this will be my stop for all eternity!

Guess what irritates me the most is last year I received a warning letter for driving 1.1 miles off my area to take a lunch break. Is it alright to burn gas on their incompetence but not for me to find a warm place for lunch?

Rubicon

I agree with you and wish I could get your sensibilities into my division/district managers head. There are a few managers on here that I respect. You being one of them. I don't blame my center manager. He's doing what he's told. Maybe the division/district is, too. I'm not sure anymore. I just wish some common sense would prevail. We are losing good customers because of it. I refuse to do another sales lead as I can't service the customers I have correctly.

Rubicon

Your morning preload supe can move that stop on a daily basis but that will get old.I have save thing on nda 4 miles out of my way and my fellow driver is accross the street!I finally gave up but i have a new saying now dont question STUPIDITY IT PAYS TOO WELL!And be thankfull your not in management you couldnt pay me enough.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your morning preload supe can move that stop on a daily basis but that will get old.I have save thing on nda 4 miles out of my way and my fellow driver is accross the street!I finally gave up but i have a new saying now dont question STUPIDITY IT PAYS TOO WELL!And be thankfull your not in management you couldnt pay me enough.

Why don't you and the other driver simply dispatch the NDA between yourselves? Our PDS has most of the NDA dispatched correctly but there are stops that would be easier for another driver to deliver so we move the work between ourselves.

pretzel_man

It does not need to be done by the preload sup....

If the stop(s) are in the wrong loop, the PDS can move the stop between the appropriate drivers in the plan. Then it will be there every day.

This is a little harder than having the IE change the loop, but it still works.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Why don't you and the other driver simply dispatch the NDA between yourselves? Our PDS has most of the NDA dispatched correctly but there are stops that would be easier for another driver to deliver so we move the work between ourselves.

That works if you have a properly sized building with routes in the same loop parked next to one another.

If, like me, your building is an overcrowded, jury-rigged pile of tents and MDU's then it doesnt work. I have a different park position and a different car every day. The drivers next to me in my loop are parked on the other side of the building and I dont even see them.

menotyou

bella amicizia
We get written up if we exchange work, now. If you go to dispatcher, he (usually) shakes his shoulders and says, "thats the plan" or "work as directed". The preload sup says it the dispatchers job. No communication. They hate each other. They hate center manager. On-car hates dispatcher. I don't know how they get through the day.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
We get written up if we exchange work, now. If you go to dispatcher, he (usually) shakes his shoulders and says, "thats the plan" or "work as directed". The preload sup says it the dispatchers job. No communication. They hate each other. They hate center manager. On-car hates dispatcher. I don't know how they get through the day.

Probably the same way you do.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

They get through the day by generating one metric at a time.

They are no longer paid to manage the business. They are paid to spoon-feed their corporate masters whatever alphabet-soup acronym (PPH, SPORH, SPC, NDPPH) happens to be the current flavor of the week.

They hate each other because they are scared for their jobs and many of the metrics that are being demanded of them are mutually exclusive. The onroad sup wants good load quality so that his drivers can maintain the expected SPORH....but the preload sup's only concern is to shovel the stops into the cars as fast as possible in order to get "his" people off of the clock and maintain his expected PPH. Meanwhile the PDS sup is being forced to generate an impossible SPC metric that screws both the preload and the on road.

Its pretty much like throwing 8 starving dogs into a pit, giving them enough food for 7, and then expecting them to share that food with teamwork and cooperation. They cant cooperate as a team when each individual is simply fighting to survive.

UPSSOCKS

Part of my area was re-looped a couple of years ago with the implementation of PAS/EDD. In the re-loop, they neglected to move one street in the middle of a very rural subdivision. This street only has one residence currently built on it. This subdivision is now on a drivers route adjacent to mine.

About a dozen times in the last couple years I have spoken with my management team to get this street moved to the correct unit. My on car says it's out of his hands & can only be corrected by IE. He says he has forwarded the move information to IE and doesn't know why it hasn't been implemented.

Suffice to say the lady of the house must have recently got her hands on an LTD Commodities catalog. Was there for a delivery 4 days this past week. This stop is 4.8 miles round trip off my area! Figure I burned 2 gallons of their gas just this week to make service on these parcels. Spoke with the driver on the adjacent route and he says he is in that same subdivision on a daily basis. Done beating my head against the wall & accepted that this will be my stop for all eternity!

Guess what irritates me the most is last year I received a warning letter for driving 1.1 miles off my area to take a lunch break. Is it alright to burn gas on their incompetence but not for me to find a warm place for lunch?

Yes it is alright. Stick to what your good at.. Taking orders.. Let the big boys handle the other stuff..

menotyou

bella amicizia

They are no longer paid to manage the business. They are paid to spoon-feed their corporate masters whatever alphabet-soup acronym (PPH, SPORH, SPC, NDPPH) happens to be the current flavor of the week.

They hate each other because they are scared for their jobs and many of the metrics that are being demanded of them are mutually exclusive. The onroad sup wants good load quality so that his drivers can maintain the expected SPORH....but the preload sup's only concern is to shovel the stops into the cars as fast as possible in order to get "his" people off of the clock and maintain his expected PPH. Meanwhile the PDS sup is being forced to generate an impossible SPC metric that screws both the preload and the on road.

Its pretty much like throwing 8 starving dogs into a pit, giving them enough food for 7, and then expecting them to share that food with teamwork and cooperation. They cant cooperate as a team when each individual is simply fighting to survive.
That explains my building.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Socks,
Now I know why I bid on a satellite route. Not having to put up with management people like yourself on a daily basis! PRICELESS!!!!

rod

Retired 22 years
Socks,
Now I know why I bid on a satellite route. Not having to put up with management people like yourself on a daily basis! PRICELESS!!!!

I would bet if you really met socks he would be a wimpering little pt sup who is afraid of his own shadow. I actually like his posts--- they make me laugh.

UPSSOCKS

I would bet if you really met socks he would be a wimpering little pt sup who is afraid of his own shadow. I actually like his posts--- they make me laugh.

Busted... How did you know? Everyday a union member surprises me with their intelligence...

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG

gotta love the painfull truth to sobers statements,, agree or not