Is it true that after a teamster retire

NI1

I was talking to a driver when dropping off my air and he told me that he just found out that there was a statistic that AFTER a teamster retire and that they collect an average of 26 checks and then pass away :sad-little:

I dont know about you but to me this is very sad.

JonFrum

Probably 26 year's worth of checks. Twelve (sometimes thirteen) checks a year until the member dies, then, if there's a surviving spouse, a few more until he/she dies.

Still sad.

Members of the Vampire's Union live to collect a lot longer. That is unless that union-bustin' VanHelsing shows up.:happy-very:

We've had a couple retirees that have received at least 24 checks, maybe I should get my funeral suit cleaned.

One of our drivers died about 3 months after retirement. He was killed in a wreak. I guess he's short period of life after would bring the averages down a tad.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
I think if you were to look around at other industries this isn't unique to Teamsters. Seems the problem is that people don't retire when they are eligible. Whether they did a poor job of planning or they have no life outside of work or they are addicted to the weekly paycheck. :dissapointed:

over9five

Staff member
I'll let you know after Dec how many checks I collect. I'll notify everyone on here of my demise.

Not sure if that will work.....

How 'bout you start a thread, and every month when you get that check you post in it, "I'm still here".

Then when the month comes that you don't......we'll know!

PS. Good luck, I hope you collect a lot more than 26!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony31yrs

I don't know about checks, but I made it through 40 direct deposits. Maybe that's the secret. That and get regular checkups, cut back on how much you eat and stay active. You can't eat the same as you did as a driver and expect to stay anywhere near the same weight.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
... get regular checkups, cut back on how much you eat and stay active. You can't eat the same as you did as a driver and expect to stay anywhere near the same weight.
Good advise and even when you're still at UPS - going to Feeder or Supervision has the same effect. And the older you are the more dramatic the effect.

raceanoncr

Good advise and even when you're still at UPS - going to Feeder or Supervision has the same effect. And the older you are the more dramatic the effect.

Hmmm...when does it start? Almost age 62, less than 200 lbs, feeders for 28 of 31 yrs, off for 5 months cuz of hip surgery and laying on my arse...

Start with first check?

JonFrum

Currently, the most anyone lives to is 115 years. ( Though I doubt you'll ever see a UPSer live to anywhere near 115.)

Women outlive men by six or seven years.

When you retire the pension plan promises to send you monthly checks for the rest of your life (and that of your surviving spouse, if applicable.)

Here in the New England plan, if you think you may not last very long in retirement, you can elect the 120 Certain Payments option that will assure you (and your spouse or estate) of ten years worth checks no matter what, even if you die on the way home from your last day of work at UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Currently, the most anyone lives to is 115 years. ( Though I doubt you'll ever see a UPSer live to anywhere near 115.)

Women outlive men by six or seven years.

When you retire the pension plan promises to send you monthly checks for the rest of your life (and that of your surviving spouse, if applicable.)

Here in the New England plan, if you think you may not last very long in retirement, you can elect the 120 Certain Payments option that will assure you (and your spouse or estate) of ten years worth checks no matter what, even if you die on the way home from your last day of work at UPS.

Jon, under the 120 plan, are your pension payments larger than they would be if you elected lifetime payment?

P

pickup

I was talking to a driver when dropping off my air and he told me that he just found out that there was a statistic that AFTER a teamster retire and that they collect an average of 26 checks and then pass away :sad-little:

I dont know about you but to me this is very sad.

Maybe the teamsters are knocking retirees off so they can't go too deep into the pension plan. Maybe some autopsies are called for . Rod, keep moving, give em a hard target.

Reminds me of New York State slogan for their "Win for Life " lottery scratch off game where if you win the grand prize , you get x amount of dollars each week for the remainder of life. The slogan is , I believe "You keep living, we'll keep paying" . Sounds like a threat to me.