Is it true that after a teamster retire

abes

abes
I started when I was 21,back then there were no casuals.Was hired off the street as a runner in dec.79 and had a 30 day tryout in may of 80.And 29 1/2 years later it's time to go.I only needed 900 hours this year,so technically it's 30 credited with the union.

I bet that you will be happy doing it. I will be 63 if (and that is a big if) I make it to 20 years. I hope everything works out well for you.
I kind of a happy person in general, and try to find something to be happy about all the time. Good luck on being able to make to 63.
Never thought of going into feeders? Alot easier on the body and the money is good. Of course if you were in my hub I would try to tell you how bad it is because you have way more seniority.:happy-very:
I should have put in for feeders 10 years ago, I would be close to a FT run by now. Seriously, here we have 6 feeder positions, 5 runs and a cover driver. We've had one guy retire in the 20 years I have been around. When he retired his spot on the list was taken by the (then) cover driver, then a bid list went up for the cover spot but working both feeder and package didn't sound like something I could(or wanted) do. That was five years ago. We have 3 guys with 30+years and 1 with 25+ years, none of them have plans on retiring anytime soon and all younger than I am.

50 26 yrs in pkg,last 4 in feeders
Ahhhhh, I remember being 50....barely. lol If I remember right, I was 51 when I had my first on job injury, and I have gone down hill since. Until then could keep up with the kids.

over9five

Staff member
Five runs and a cover driver? What does the cover driver do when you're all there, which must be most of the time?

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Five runs and a cover driver? What does the cover driver do when you're all there, which must be most of the time?
Cover driver is probably pre-qualified for feeder and when not doing feeder work does a package car route. That's the way it is in the smaller centers in my area.

Cover driver is probably pre-qualified for feeder and when not doing feeder work does a package car route. That's the way it is in the smaller centers in my area.
That is how they do it here also.
That's why I never seriously considered feeders as an option. Another disqualifying factor for me was, I hate to drive. yes, really. With delivering it's not just drive drive drive stop, drive drive drive stop.
If my original plans had worked as I wanted, I would be a business owner worried about the present economy shutting down my business.

Well, it's not MOST of the time, he has 35 weeks that he is either covering vacation runs or on vacation himself. And then there is peek season where there are additional runs put in.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Our feeder cover has a bidded rte. He has been feeder cover for almost 2 years and is counting the days til he can get out. Here, it is a 2 year commitment and in the last 2 years he has covered less than a handful of runs.

Our feeder cover has a bidded rte. He has been feeder cover for almost 2 years and is counting the days til he can get out. Here, it is a 2 year commitment and in the last 2 years he has covered less than a handful of runs.
Our Feeder CD has 5 weeks of vaca, 3 of our 5 have 6 weeks and the other two have 5. So I over est the weeks our CD has solid runes to cover by 5.
How many feeder runs do y'all have for him to cover?
Here our feeder CD doesn't have a bid route, he is on the package FT cover list, which is by seniority pick on available route per given day. I think he is #3 or 4 on that list. That puts him in a P10 or p11 most days in package.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Truthfully, I have no idea how many feeder runs we have. They come out of our other center. I can only guess there are very few.

Truthfully, I have no idea how many feeder runs we have. They come out of our other center. I can only guess there are very few.
If I am not mistaken ( and it's been a while since I talked to anyone about it), all but one of our feeder runs are turnarounds. They meet other feeders for hubs and switch trailers, come back here. The other one goes all the way to the hub and drops-picks up trailers to bring back. That one run could originate from either here or there, it just happens to start here.

JonFrum

From Central State's "Teamwork Magazine," Spring 2008:

"Currently, over 212,000 Teamster members or their spouses receive a monthly pension check from Central States."

The following facts appear to apply to the retiree only. (A surviving spouse would typically receive additional checks until the surviving spouse's death.)

"The average age at retirement in 2007 was 61 years old.

The average age at death in 2007 was 78 years old.

Over 2,700 retirees are age 90 years or older, with 41 retirees 100 years old or older.

The average number of months a retiree receives a pension check is 219 months or over 18 years."

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
From Central State's "Teamwork Magazine," Spring 2008:

"Currently, over 212,000 Teamster members or their spouses receive a monthly pension check from Central States."

The following facts appear to apply to the retiree only. (A surviving spouse would typically receive additional checks until the surviving spouse's death.)

"The average age at retirement in 2007 was 61 years old.

The average age at death in 2007 was 78 years old.

Over 2,700 retirees are age 90 years or older, with 41 retirees 100 years old or older.

The average number of months a retiree receives a pension check is 219 months or over 18 years."

There you go, ruining a perfectly good urban legend with FACTS!
Although I would like to see a comparison of these AVERAGE numbers with the MEDIAN numbers. Those 2700 retirees could be skewing the numbers slightly higher, although on a base of 212,000 probably not that much.

P

pickup

Although I would like to see a comparison of these AVERAGE numbers with the MEDIAN numbers. Those 2700 retirees could be skewing the numbers slightly higher, although on a base of 212,000 probably not that much.

Median? Average? Are you married? Someone who speaks my language.

JonFrum

There is no Easter Bunny.
There is no Santa Claus.
There is no Tooth Fairy.
There is no Free Lunch.
Space Aliens are not snaching us while we sleep, and probing our bodies on their ships hovering above planet Earth. [Though this UPSer wakes up with various aches and pains. Hmmm? I wonder?]

Somebody stop me! I can't help myself!

- - - - -
For the Top 25 Urban Legends circulating on the Internet, visit . . .

http://www.snopes.com/info/top25uls.asp

A "virus" from UPS is #3.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
There is no Easter Bunny.
There is no Santa Claus.
There is no Tooth Fairy.
There is no Free Lunch.
Space Aliens are not snaching us while we sleep, and probing our bodies on their ships hovering above planet Earth. [Though this UPSer wakes up with various aches and pains. Hmmm? I wonder?]

Somebody stop me! I can't help myself!

- - - - -
For the Top 25 Urban Legends circulating on the Internet, visit . . .

http://www.snopes.com/info/top25uls.asp

A "virus" from UPS is #3.
I beg to differ on the Free Lunch part.