Is it worth starting off as a 22.4?

bowhnterdon

It is not. It is article 40 of the Master. Still is considering a 22.3 position. 22.2 are the FT inside jobs that were in place in 1979. Protected under each new contract so far. 22.3 came in 97 and many that were created were Preload-Air, hence being covered under Article 40. Now we have 22.4... no comment..

PizzaToUps

in my local, a part timer can bid on a RPCD position without having to be a 22.4 and can take the position over a 22.4 employee depending on seniority.

UnionGuy

I put a bid for a 22.3 and a 22.4 driver position. I really wanted a driver position so I applied for both positions and all hubs nearby. Even knowing what a 22.4 position really is, basically you're a preloader and driver, plus sorter. A cheap all in one employee.? I barely have 4 years seniority and don't want to wait long. I just want to drive and get out of the hub as soon as I can. I hear 396 might use 22.4 real soon. Do you think it's worth starting off as a 22.4 instead of waiting for a 22.3 RPCD position?
My mistake guys, I didn't apply for the 22.3. Just RCPD and 22.4. Forgot how the paper looked like. Went to the HR office and got a new paper

Attachments

• 20191027_194727.jpg
    20191027_194727.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 228

sandwich

The resident gearhead
I put a bid for a 22.3 and a 22.4 driver position. I really wanted a driver position so I applied for both positions and all hubs nearby. Even knowing what a 22.4 position really is, basically you're a preloader and driver, plus sorter. A cheap all in one employee.? I barely have 4 years seniority and don't want to wait long. I just want to drive and get out of the hub as soon as I can. I hear 396 might use 22.4 real soon. Do you think it's worth starting off as a 22.4 instead of waiting for a 22.3 RPCD position?
If you want to be an RPCD then you HAVE to be a 22.4 first. So yes, go be a 22.4. Also it will be few and far between or ever if you work in the hub and drive in a single shift. You will most likely be used as an RPCD without the pay. But in order to become an RPCD you must first be a 22.4

542thruNthru

If you want to be an RPCD then you HAVE to be a 22.4 first. So yes, go be a 22.4. Also it will be few and far between or ever if you work in the hub and drive in a single shift. You will most likely be used as an RPCD without the pay. But in order to become an RPCD you must first be a 22.4

He's local 396. That's not true for him. He can wait to be a RPCD. 22.4s put their names on the same PT-FT list as everyone else to be a RPCD where he is.

You're correct that he will primarily drive and not work in the building.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It is not. It is article 40 of the Master. Still is considering a 22.3 position. 22.2 are the FT inside jobs that were in place in 1979. Protected under each new contract so far. 22.3 came in 97 and many that were created were Preload-Air, hence being covered under Article 40. Now we have 22.4... no comment..
Okay call it what you want but air language trumps the master and supplements.
The progression and rates are all laid out in art 40 and that supercedes all others.
Maybe 705 710 and etc. have something else, being different contracts.

Yolo

We were told that 22.4 was going to be part inside work part driving. The union pushed the contract through. And all of our 22.4s here are drive only. But its probably the only ft position at UPS that you will be able to get. So if you want to be ft you need to do it.

upschuck

I can't get any clear language on that. Whenever we eventually get those 22.4 jobs I heard they are locked into them for a year and can't bid on a RPCD job until they have a year in. It's scaring some of these guys about signing a bid.

The language in this contract sucks big time.

Sad day my friend.
Here, you can always bid a job if the pay rate is higher, no time limitations.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
He's local 396. That's not true for him. He can wait to be a RPCD. 22.4s put their names on the same PT-FT list as everyone else to be a RPCD where he is.

You're correct that he will primarily drive and not work in the building.
Technically it's the same in my local too. Currently though, we are only hiring 22.4's. And it will be that way indefinitely.

For pt to ft

JustDeliverIt

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could've sworn I read that RPCD M-friend/T-S could bid on Sunday work and win it/take it from Hybrid 22.4s?

My understanting is that all RPCD will be moved off of T-S, as per the contract, within 18 months of ratifying. RPCD's will only be M-friend (I'm sure that will go out the window for peak). 22.4's will be T-S, W-S or whatever bastardized setup the company decides to. But 22.4's will definitely be scheduled for weekend work. Can't bump someone for a 6th punch when it's part of their scheduled 5 days.

But again, that's my understanding. Different locals, different language.

derrick

damn that. I went air combo and under the old contract. i hit top rate next year and 30 a hour. driving and inside at the part time rate. but after i hit top scale i can go inside inside and automatically top scale since I went through full time progression already so it goes to 35 a hour with a inside inside job. i got in at the right time and I don't have to do any 4-5 year progression because in the old contract it was 2 years.