is there any chance of 25 and out at any age next contract?

helenofcalifornia

Our preload work experience counts towards the same pension out here in Northern California. Just don't get the same monetary credit you would as a full timer. Never heard of a bonus out here either.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
We have it now. 25 and out, $100 for every FT year, $1000 per year bonus at retirement.

The last time I looked (just to give some general info to a 22.3 who had some obviously bad info), instead of the lump sum bonus, a retiree can opt to increase their monthly benefit.

I'm in 710 and have never seen or heard this. Please post a link.

http://www.tdu.org/pension-comparison
Chicago Area (Local 705)
$2,500 for 25-and-out, with lump sum of $25,000; $3,000 for 30-and-out, with $30,000 lump sum; $3,500 for 35-and-out, with $35,000 lump sum. Option to reject lump sum and add $8 per year of service to pension (e.g. $3,240 for 30-and-out).
Illinois and Indiana (Local 710 Plan)
$2,800 for 25-and-out, $3,300 for 30-and-out, $3,800 for 35-and-out.
Caveat: the L705 XX-and-out, with lump sum $XXk matches what I've seen posted on letterhead on union bulletin boards, I don't recall seeing the option to increase the monthly benefit. It may have also been there, I just don't remember. I've never seen the L710 info. posted. I have no reason to doubt the veracity of this third party's (TDU) summary & comparison, but I have not verified it.
Also, there may have been changes to the other plans listed in that link since it was compiled (dated July 1, 2010).

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I think your 2 years on the preload are a separate pension and won't count toward your years in the teamster pension plan.

I worked 7 years on the preload and I received a letter saying I would get about $400 a month from UPS beginning at age 65 for those years.

Actually you may need 5 vested years to get anything for your part-time years.

This is correct, you have to be vested part time for five years to get anything at "normal retirement age", and it is a separate plan from the full time pension.

upsgrunt

I have my copy of 710 s contract and pension plan info and I don't see anything like that in there. None of the guys who have retired lately at our center ever mentioned anything like that either.

Eric,
We need to get that lump sum language into 710's contract. That tidbit could make a difference when deciding about retiring. Not nearly enough to change your lifestyle, but a great little bonus to the pension.

Re-Raise

Eric,
We need to get that lump sum language into 710's contract. That tidbit could make a difference when deciding about retiring. Not nearly enough to change your lifestyle, but a great little bonus to the pension.

I never realized the difference on that from 710 to 705. That is one of the reasons I enjoy this site there is always something to learn here.

JonFrum

I still get amazed that people complain and place the majority of blame on the pension with UPS. Up in New England, we pay into the pension fund based on hours paid (with a max of 40). I know back in 94 time frame, we contributed about $2.60/hr into the pension fund, now I believe it's about $5.00/hr into the pension fund. At $5/hr thats $200/week or $10,400/yr assuming you get paid 40 hrs (or more) each week. I know oversight of the pension fund is half employers, half teamsters. But for the employers, UPS only has a portion of the vote. Many other employers pay less then what UPS contributes. Also, think of all the part timers who UPS contributes for (In New England, Part time is in the same pension fund). but doesn't stay the 5 years it takes to vest. Think of all that money that goes into the pot. That money has been seriously mismanaged.
Hourly pension contributions in New England are now $7.21 per hour. That's $288.40 per week. $15,076.80 per year.

Effective August 1, 2011 contributions will increase by 65 cents per hour to $7.86.

packageguy

Call your local, I heard local 177 in new jersey, no longer have lump sum,
because the pension fund take a big hit each time, especially when it's not fully funded.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Hourly pension contributions in New England are now $7.21 per hour. That's $288.40 per week. $15,076.80 per year.

Effective August 1, 2011 contributions will increase by 65 cents per hour to $7.86.

Here, the raises we got went right into the pension fund. All full-timers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would like to expand on Hondo's example of the 30 and out pension and the pros/cons of taking the $30,000 as a lump sum or as an increase of $240/month. Taking it as a lump sum would mean having to plan for the tax consequences-- a flat rate of 25% for Federal and a flat rate depending upon which state you live in. Conversely, an increase in your monthly pension payment would be taxed in the same manner as the base pension payment, which would most likely be lower than the rate for the bonus. However, at $240 per month, it would take just over 10 years to recoup the $30K.

NYS Teamsters recently changed the 30 and out at any age to 30 and out with a minimum retirement age of 55. UPS contributes around $9/hr to our pension which is their base contribution plus our split raises.

I think the days of 25 and out at any age are gone.

QKRSTKR

What always scares me is how many more contracts before I can retire. Even at the 30 @ 55, that's exactly what I'll have at 55 is 30 ft. yrs. 25 yrs at age 50 would reduce me to 2000 monthly. But if you could work another job and make 1000-2000 a month, would it be worth it? I just don't understand the guys who have more than 30 yrs in and keep working. I think they are institutionalized.
[video=youtube;7tkzc983aE0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tkzc983aE0&NR=1[/video]

But, maybe its different by the time you actually get there. Must be a sweet feeling to know you can go at anytime.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a guy who finally retired with like 36 or 37 years in. He had no life outside of the company. The driver for his area tells us he wears his browns when doing yard work.

I guess the decision you have to make for yourself is do you want to retire early and work somewhere else or do you want to work here for the 30 or so years needed for a normal pension. Keep in mind that there may be restrictions within your pension as to how many hours and in what trades you can work post-retirement.

This is why I try to stress to some of my younger co-workers the importance of planning for retirement. Most of them laugh at me and tell me retirement is a long way away. That's what I used to think but in less than 8 years I will be retired--will I be ready? Financially, yes--psychologically, ??

beentheredonethat

Thanks for the update. I didn't realize it was that high. I know the number from the 90's when I did payroll. I asked and got the number secondhand for current rate. But the new number you gave further strengthens my argument. Go to a financial advisor. Show him\her what UPS puts into a retirement account for you. Then ask what you should get at different retirement ages. I'm sure the number is a lot higher then what you will be getting. What happened with all the money? Also, think of all those PT people (at least in New England) where they work for UPS less then 5 years and aren't vested but all that money went into the fund. That's a lot of money. This isn't an issue of UPS not contributing enough it's an issue of other companies not contributing the same amount (even though all teamsters get the same amount in retirement (assuming same region ie New England Pension fund)). It's also an issue of mismangement. Also to another poster who indicated what is being offered by other funds. Let's also look at what the funding status of those funds.
How comfortable do you feel if the funding level of your fund is in critical status?

JonFrum

Thanks for the update. I didn't realize it was that high. I know the number from the 90's when I did payroll. I asked and got the number secondhand for current rate. But the new number you gave further strengthens my argument. Go to a financial advisor. Show him\her what UPS puts into a retirement account for you. Then ask what you should get at different retirement ages. I'm sure the number is a lot higher then what you will be getting. What happened with all the money? Also, think of all those PT people (at least in New England) where they work for UPS less then 5 years and aren't vested but all that money went into the fund. That's a lot of money. This isn't an issue of UPS not contributing enough it's an issue of other companies not contributing the same amount (even though all teamsters get the same amount in retirement (assuming same region ie New England Pension fund)). It's also an issue of mismangement. Also to another poster who indicated what is being offered by other funds. Let's also look at what the funding status of those funds.

How comfortable do you feel if the funding level of your fund is in critical status?

The various companies in the Fund contribute at various hourly rates according to their collective bargaining agreements. UPS contributes at the highest rates (currently $7.21) and earns the highest monthly accrual amount ($248) towards its employees' future retirement checks. Other companies that contribute at lesser rates earn their employees proportionately less monthly accrual amounts. There is no subsidy of others by UPS in this particular feature of the New England Fund.

I never realized the difference on that from 710 to 705. That is one of the reasons I enjoy this site there is always something to learn here.

Yes, but 710 gets all the neat new tractors and 705 gets the junk. So in a way you guys are getting the bonus while you`re still with the company. :)

kingOFchester

This is correct, you have to be vested part time for five years to get anything at "normal retirement age", and it is a separate plan from the full time pension.

So, form what you are saying ...for part time years worked less then 5 years, we will not get any pension? I am in 384

old levi's

blank space
We had a guy who finally retired with like 36 or 37 years in. He had no life outside of the company. The driver for his area tells us he wears his browns when doing yard work.

I guess the decision you have to make for yourself is do you want to retire early and work somewhere else or do you want to work here for the 30 or so years needed for a normal pension. Keep in mind that there may be restrictions within your pension as to how many hours and in what trades you can work post-retirement.

This is why I try to stress to some of my younger co-workers the importance of planning for retirement. Most of them laugh at me and tell me retirement is a long way away. That's what I used to think but in less than 8 years I will be retired--will I be ready? Financially, yes--psychologically, ??

Just hoping the normal pension (whatever that is) will even be there after 30/ 35 or even more years. I'm just saying................

The Milkman

Call your local, I heard local 177 in new jersey, no longer have lump sum,
because the pension fund take a big hit each time, especially when it's not fully funded.

I left 177 Jan 08 and yes they did stop the lump sum of 50k..I got mine and rolled it over into a retirement acct. Did not get hit with taxes that way..:peaceful:

satellitedriver

I am 58yrs old with 25yrs.
I am under the old CS plan and the new UPS/teamster plan.
$2,500 becomes $2,190 for your spouse to receive 75% of that $2,190 upon your death. -($1641.50)
After average taxes of 20%, that leaves $1,752.00 a month.
Now deduct $800 a month for sub-standard health insurance.
-( which one can not get if they are under the age of 57)-
By sub-standard I mean;
No Dental
No Vision
20% on all major medical
Limited discount on RX
And the kicker is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
$150,0000 a year maximum.
I can buy better coverage through AARP for less money.
This leaves me with $952.00 a month for retirement.
By the Grace of God, 1997 woke me up and I now could leave and prosper through financial planning.
But, I am sticking around as long as I can and sticking all the ridiculous money UPS pays me into the bank.