Is there any reason for FedEx to keep contractors?

bacha29

The beginning of what? Don’t be mistaken. Ground was an easy investment to make good money for contractors. That’s evaporated in the last few years. Ground adopting an employee model, eliminating the contracts, and forcing its metrics onto drivers making 1/3 to 1/2 what UPS drivers make is still incredibly profitable. And isn’t that always the endgame?
That's the point. In the eyes of Fat Freddy contractors were making out TOO good and set out to correct that problem in no uncertain terms.
Contractors will just have to learn to get by on much thinner and far more volatile margins. The good times are over. Time to quit the bitching and get after it or get out.

bbsam

Staff member
That's the point. In the eyes of Fat Freddy contractors were making out TOO good and set out to correct that problem in no uncertain terms.
Contractors will just have to learn to get by on much thinner and far more volatile margins. The good times are over. Time to quit the bitching and get after it or get out.
Who’s bitching?

yadig

No. I wouldn't call it an endorsement. I'd call it somewhat disengaged interest. I no longer care which way it goes.
It sounds like employees/contractors are feeling the same way! I could care less what the company is doing and the future of this company.

zeev

Spencer Patton and his Route Consultant has just disappeared meaning the routes are worth nothing. Freddy visited a Milwaukee Ground facility to put out the dumpster fire. Freight could turn out the winner, picking up Express AGFS system , run Ground trailers and get out of the messy small package business. They should of secured the Ground contractors before trying to dump the Express business on them. FedExs massive deception has deceived themselves.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I’m waiting for dano to express his opinion. I’m sure he’s been told what we need to hear.

I don’t see this changing much at all. A contractor’s employees would still have to vote for a union. The contractor would have to keep the contract long enough for that union to sue to get FedEx classified as a joint employer to negotiate with. That sequence playing out in any reasonable timeline seems unlikely.
And the odds of FedEx being found to be a joint employer based on the standards and rules stated in the article are slim.

bacha29

And the odds of FedEx being found to be a joint employer based on the standards and rules stated in the article are slim.
So today your federal judge? So what does little Dano want to be tomorrow? An astronaut? How about an NFL Pro Bowl caliber receiver?

Hax

Because the little, if any, of the criteria listed apply to FedEx.
They only have to prove 1 of the 7 conditions is true. In typical X fashion they'll probably spend more on lawyers fighting this than if they just accepted a unionized workforce though.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
They only have to prove 1 of the 7 conditions is true. In typical X fashion they'll probably spend more on lawyers fighting this than if they just accepted a unionized workforce though.
Showing that a condition exists and proving that it exists to a degree significant enough to establish joint employment are two different things.

bacha29

Showing that a condition exists and proving that it exists to a degree significant enough to establish joint employment are two different things.
Proving it does not look to be difficult at all. However, any a major new rulings by the courts that will be favorable to workers is likely at least a decade away and the only people that a favorable court ruling would benefit are the people that hold long term employment with companies that stand to be impacted by those rulings.

And for those in the food service and transportation sector, there ain't a damn thing to look forward to regardless of whatever impact this new ruling might have on those sectors.

Star B

White Lightening
Maybe that's why they are rushing to get everyone under the Express RLA banner to avoid dealing with the NLRB?