Is this a unfair time study?

LeddySS98

I've been driving for 1.5 years now and last night I punched out arround 8... I had 197 stops, 431 packages, 60 miles, 15 pick-ups, and i think had 40 pieces on pickups....and i got a planned day of 10.3:crying: I ran it in 10.65 i believe.. so i was .35 over... my stop average was 20.5/hr

So is this the norm? am i complaining about nothing? Is it normal at other centers to have good time studies on one route and crappy on another? Normal to change the time study on the same route depending on who's driving?

Just kinda curious what you all have to say...

Delivered

That's normal now days. Did you follow ALL the safe work methods at every stop?? Probably not running 20.5 stops/hr. Safety first....

satellitedriver

I've been driving for 1.5 years now and last night I punched out arround 8... I had 197 stops, 431 packages, 60 miles, 15 pick-ups, and i think had 40 pieces on pickups....and i got a planned day of 10.3:crying: I ran it in 10.65 i believe.. so i was .35 over... my stop average was 20.5/hr

So is this the norm? am i complaining about nothing? Is it normal at other centers to have good time studies on one route and crappy on another? Normal to change the time study on the same route depending on who's driving?

Yeah, it's normal.
Correct? That is a different story.
How do you feel about the work load?
Can you imagine yourself doing it for 30yrs?
Sounds like you are doing this job to the best of your ability.
I think you have a right to complain.
PAX

Hangingon

Actually yours sounds pretty good. I have comparable numbers, but the 21 stops on road per hour that I give them shows up as more then 2 hours over allowed. Not sure how I'm supposed to run over 200 stops with business and resi's mixed, but that is what my sup says is an 8 hour day on paper.

dirty moose

197 stops and 431 pieces is a **** ton!!!!

Theres some day the lone package van in our center does not go out with 431 pieces!!! Thats way to much for you to be doing?!

How in the world did a route get like that!?

helenofcalifornia

They will keep giving it to you if you keep doing it. Talk to someone. You may be able to do it now, but you won't in awhile. Who does the route when you are on vaca? What do they think about it? Can you get or bid on another route? You must have a pretty condensed area. I hope you are taking your lunch!

hunchback

Do you have seniority? We have several drivers in our center who have been manipulated arouund the free periods and still no seniority after a year or two. If you don't then they know you have to bend over and take it. Also if you do have seniority, you are cheaper than long time drivers since you are still in wage progression. I feel bad for you either way.

mikeb

tnbrown
Make sure u take your 1 hour lunch-completely! Stop and take the entire lunch around 12, 1230 or so. If this causes u to run late on your pickups, then the route needs changing and has to much work. After calling your sups to help u with pickups everyday, they will have to take work off.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Make sure your taking your full lunch and your 2- 10 minute breaks. I wouldn't do anything that would get you in trouble unless you reached senority yet

A driver in this center didn't punch out til 1030 last monday. I guarantee they havn't overdispatched him since

When I get screwed, I just suck up all the OT i can, then take a day off

Ethical ? NO But 6 hours overtime = 9 hours straight time , so that paid for my day off

Big Babooba

Actually yours sounds pretty good. I have comparable numbers, but the 21 stops on road per hour that I give them shows up as more then 2 hours over allowed. Not sure how I'm supposed to run over 200 stops with business and resi's mixed, but that is what my sup says is an 8 hour day on paper.
Usually that "paper" comes in a roll of 1000 sheets and is mounted on the wall next to the toilet. At UPS it is 80 grit.

S

steward773

No it's not fair, in fact most routes are dispatched unfairly these days. What you have to do is put your foot down and say enough is enough. You will keep being overdispached if you keep bringing it back every night without saying or doing something about it. Remember the more you do , the more you get. You have to use reverse psycology with these sups. Use methods BY THE BOOK, take all lunch between the 3rd and 5th hour, deliver your route in trace, call in for help if your not making 9/5, file a 9/5 grievance if you work 3 or more days over 9/5, get paid for that 9/5 grievance that you filed. If you do all this and DONT BACK DOWN your dispatch will eventually come down. It may take some time though, won't happen overnight. I have an R.D. route and my 1st day on it I went out with 145 stops, I punched out at 10:00. After about 8 months of 9/5 grievances, being followed, and harrassed my stop count is down to 115 punching out at 9/5. You can make your life better by using their system against them. Good luck!

LeddySS98

Did i follow all of the safety methods... No I had the bulk head door open while i was running the resi's, and i WAS running so theres another....
How did i get this route...WELL techinically its not a route cause they dont allow anyone to bid on it. It's called a baseline, i'm guessing other centers have those as well. I had about 135 business's and then the rest were resi's...
I took all 20 mins of my paid break and i took my 30 min. lunch at the center after i was done. I'd rather take the lunch at the end than run the last 30 minutes of resis in the dark. When i can avoid working in the dark i do so.
I'm not the bottom seniority man their are two other drivers below me... the second one down might as well have 30 yrs in, cause he gets hooked up all the time. I ran the Mall route last week 150 stops/400 pieces and got a 813 plan... he ran it with within 3 stops, 480 pieces and got a 1296 day. I heard peices use to count for something years ago, but they dont now... I jumped my sup about how their was such a huge time difference, "i dont know" "I'll look into it" is his all time favorite thing to say. He punched some numbers and told me it was because of the peices... I pulled up a time card from last week and showed him a day where i had 154 stops/511 peices and got a 927 for it... "i dont know"
The Sup. and the guy under me are the same religion, and without offending anyone I'll leave you to guess which religion, but i'm sure a lot of you know.

A few years ago I bid on a route that a lazy driver was doing and 130 stops was a 9.5 for him. When I left that center I was doing 170 min 210 max.

bad company

semi-pro
I am on a baseline route and I am dealing with the same garbage you are. Being the baseline route, crap rolls downhill to us, and we have no one else to give the work to. Management tends to keep these routes unassigned and puts the younger "rookie" drivers on these routes. Why? Because us younger drivers being the dumb rookies we are have a bad habit of wanting to run run run and skip skip skip lunches. I fell into this category for about the first 3-4 months. Then I just got tired and couldn't do it anymore. So I start going over 9.5 everyday and call in for business help every day. They ride with me, follow me, activate GPS, and they can't do a thing about it.

They know it's too much work, but it is easier to rotate in new young drivers who will run, than to fix it or add another route. We are also a lot cheaper labor cost wise. My current pay rate of $15.75 is cheap labor, and my OT pay is still not even close to the regular pay of a driver who has reached top pay.

My stop count has slowly been getting moderately better for the most part, but if I ever have one of those really good days and knock it out, I get punished for it the day after. So I keep playing the games and we keep going back and fourth. Follow the advise that has been given to you in the posts above, and follow the methods etc... If you do, there is no way you can physically run the stops and number of pieces that you are. Good luck... glad to see that I'm not the only one out there getting raped by management.

P.S. 10/16 is "Boss Day". I have purchased a bottle of KY to give to my dispatch sup. I'm going to tell him that if he's going to tear me a new one and rape me up the a-hole, the least he could do is use some lube... :)

Griff

A few years ago I bid on a route that a lazy driver was doing and 130 stops was a 9.5 for him. When I left that center I was doing 170 min 210 max.

Last time I checked you're getting paid the same as that lazy driver. Now you're getting paid less because you ran the route into the ground. Typical stuff from a PT sup who got into a FT driving spot, trying to be a cowboy and get some attention.

Last time I checked you're getting paid the same as that lazy driver. Now you're getting paid less because you ran the route into the ground. Typical stuff from a PT sup who got into a FT driving spot, trying to be a cowboy and get some attention.

There's where your wrong. I'm actually getting paid less than that lazy driver because I'm not steeling time. I try to be a team player. I didn't get my work ethic from the teamsters. What kind of attention should I be getting?

Griff

There's where your wrong. I'm actually getting paid less than that lazy driver because I'm not steeling time. I try to be a team player. I didn't get my work ethic from the teamsters. What kind of attention should I be getting?

Who are you to accuse him of stealing time? Not everyone runs all day and skips their lunch like you, some people don't want to be under the center manager's desk.

Who are you to accuse him of stealing time? Not everyone runs all day and skips their lunch like you, some people don't want to be under the center manager's desk.

I don't run all day, and I have never skipped a lunch.