Is this allowed?

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I, once again, was called into my Center Managers office for speaking up during a P.C.M. when my supervisor asked if anyone had any questions about the injury information they had just informed us about. I suggested that if the center would add the 2 to 3 more routes (as they previously said they were going to do, but haven't) and get as many drivers in at 9 hours (also promised) then drivers may not be as mentally and physically fatigued as we are now from being over dispatched and being given splits. Maybe this would bring down our injury rate. So, off to the office....

I was explaining my position on this issue to the Center Manager, but they just rolled their eyes and kept cutting me off when I would point out that they claim an injury cost the center 100 thousand dollars a year and that adding just one driver to ease dispatch would be much less than that (not sure if that statement was true in regards of having to pay insurance and other cost for a new driver, but it's what I said.). So, I turn to my steward (who's hanging his head) and begin to make a statement. My Center Manager cuts me off again and states "Your here to talk to me, their just here to listen.". I reply, "Alright then, let's talk then.". My Center Manager gets up and says "I don't have time to talk to you about this, we're done, go to work.".

Question(s): Is a Center Manager allowed to disallow me from communicating with my Steward during a "meeting"? Is the Center Manager able to direct the Steward to not intervene during a meeting. How much exactly does it cost U.P.S. for a "Time-loss'" injury?

What was the injury information they informed you about? Just curious as to why you felt the need ......

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yes - he should not answer the question for you, center manager should be respectful of the stewards position as he is regarded as the same level as the center manager when in a stewards roll. Manager speaking with a Manager.

Which question was this in response to?

beentheredonethat

I, once again, was called into my Center Managers office for speaking up during a P.C.M. when my supervisor asked if anyone had any questions about the injury information they had just informed us about. I suggested that if the center would add the 2 to 3 more routes (as they previously said they were going to do, but haven't) and get as many drivers in at 9 hours (also promised) then drivers may not be as mentally and physically fatigued as we are now from being over dispatched and being given splits. Maybe this would bring down our injury rate. So, off to the office....

You stated that the supervisor gave you a short talk about the injury information he presented. He asked if anyone had a question (about hte material presented). A PCM is not a debate, it's designed to quickly (3 minutes) to give you information that we need to communicate to all drivers. It is not time for a debate. The one minute you want to use times the number of drivers is the total minutes you wasted for everyone.

I don't disagree though that we should avg a lower paid day and have more routes in. I am complete agreement with that. However, a PCM is not the time or place to discuss it. Also, as others posted, the supervisor has not authority to add routes, neither does the ctr mgr (assuming they want to stay one). Unless the actual stops were way over plan and he can add so that he still is at or above the SPC plan. Otherwise he's got a lot of explaining to do to the div mgr.

It sounds like this is not the first time. Why dont' you just make it easy and paint a big bullseye on your back.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You stated that the supervisor gave you a short talk about the injury information he presented. He asked if anyone had a question (about hte material presented). A PCM is not a debate, it's designed to quickly (3 minutes) to give you information that we need to communicate to all drivers. It is not time for a debate. The one minute you want to use times the number of drivers is the total minutes you wasted for everyone.

I don't disagree though that we should avg a lower paid day and have more routes in. I am complete agreement with that. However, a PCM is not the time or place to discuss it. Also, as others posted, the supervisor has not authority to add routes, neither does the ctr mgr (assuming they want to stay one). Unless the actual stops were way over plan and he can add so that he still is at or above the SPC plan. Otherwise he's got a lot of explaining to do to the div mgr.

It sounds like this is not the first time. Why dont' you just make it easy and paint a big bullseye on your back.

His only mistake was not phrasing it in the form of a question.
We are Teamsters, not management.
We don't have to tuck it between our legs.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I gave up a long time ago thinking that UPS will understand that more routes means less people hurt. Its this simple, someone has figured out that the cost of injuried workers is still less then the savings they get from cutting routes.

UPSGUY72

I work a reasonable pace. I also know how many stops is a 8 or 9 hour day on each route I do. When I have more stops I cal in over 9.5, 10, 11..... and run the route in the amount of time it whould actually take. I don't try to stuff a 10 hour day into 8 hours.