Votes: 38 51.4%
  • no

Votes: 15 20.3%
  • too soon to call

Votes: 21 28.4%

• Total voters

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Here it goes by how the routes are bid. Mist are Monday through Friday and the rest are bid Tuesday through Saturday
Tues-sat came to our center long after the normal bids were posted, they just picked and chose which drivers they wanted ..just seeing if I can sneak out of tues-sat since I’m fulltime and 50 reg temps below me

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Tues-sat came to our center long after the normal bids were posted, they just picked and chose which drivers they wanted ..just seeing if I can sneak out of tues-sat since I’m fulltime and 50 reg temps below me

I can't copy and paste from my contract pdf, and my screenshot function isn't working, but the contract says the 22.4's will be working the weekend shifts. Your supplemental may impact how things work out for you. Going just from the master, it seems like the temps would have to bid and win 22.4 positions in order to get the weekend work.

The contract states they must make the change as soon as practicable within the 18 months. I would think that with the savings the 22.4's will bring, the company will get right on hiring as many as they are allowed. Also, the company has an extra 6 months beyond the 18 to move drivers who bid directly on t-s shifts to m-friend.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
A year from now you might be begging to work a saturday, We living in interesting times.
92969910-0CE7-47FD-8FB0-6F804F9EB2C2.gif
C502551C-0709-42D5-B7DF-9CAAD0EFDA70.gif
351F5346-0FFB-41FC-9382-5F5B2920B4BD.gif
0C1B4B1B-17CF-4DA7-BC7A-E410109BD9D7.gif
564D77FE-D815-4CA7-A800-254EA00002E5.gif

Poop Head

Judge me.
quality managers jumping ship or taking early retirement
Didn't they essentially force out all the older, experienced guys?
difficulty in retaining veteran employees
don't they just keep chipping away at your guys's benefits/ overall compensation?
Board will abandon an entire strategy for a measly $40 million, it makes me wonder if this company is totally friend’ed
40 mil? Pull the plug on Orion already. You're welcome

bumped

Didn't they essentially force out all the older, experienced guys?
don't they just keep chipping away at your guys's benefits/ overall compensation?
40 mil? Pull the plug on Orion already. You're welcome

What do you mean? Orion is the only reason UPS is only 40 million behind plan. It would be much worse is we all weren't running Orion.:eek:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I give them 10-15 more years tops. Depending on how the dust settles on the Amazon/Walmart delivery situation.
That would be a pretty massive and quick fall. I mean Sears was done 20 years ago but they are technically still hanging on.

rod

Retired 22 years
That would be a pretty massive and quick fall. I mean Sears was done 20 years ago but they are technically still hanging on.

You're probably right. I just remember how quick Railway Express (nation wide # 1 carrier) folded when UPS ramped up their expansion plans in the 70's.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
News headline the next day: "UPS admits defeat and pulls the plug on its $300 million ORION system, once touted as ________________ by UPS CEO David Abney."

Laughing my ass off at this! $300 million?????? UPS spent in excess of $1 billion on Orion and it's implantation!!!!!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You're probably right. I just remember how quick Railway Express (nation wide # 1 carrier) folded when UPS ramped up their expansion plans.
You’ve got to think about how fast the overall volume in the shipping industry is growing too.

During the recession a manager kind of put it into perspective for me. We had just had the worst year over year “loss” in the history of the company. He said 8 more quarters of this and we won’t be making money anymore.

8 quarters of progressively worse quarters on top of the worst one in the history of the company and we’d be negative. Not out of business just not in the black for once lol

Plus we’ve got about 3.5-4 billion we are paying out in dividends each year on top of the 6 billion in profits. That’s a lot of downhill.

Certainly not saying it’s not possible. Maybe just not as dire as we think.

Box Ox

Laughing my ass off at this! $300 million?????? UPS spent in excess of $1 billion on Orion and it's implantation!!!!!

From the Wall Street Journal:

“UPS won’t say how much money it has invested in Orion. But management and information technology expert Thomas H. Davenport, a distinguished professor at Babson College near Boston, believes Orion is the largest deployment of operations research, and that UPS spent $200 million to $300 million to develop it, excluding many years of investments in underlying driver technology and communications infrastructure.”

Paywalled link: At UPS, the Algorithm Is the Driver

rod

Retired 22 years
You’ve got to think about how fast the overall volume in the shipping industry is growing too.

During the recession a manager kind of put it into perspective for me. We had just had the worst year over year “loss” in the history of the company. He said 8 more quarters of this and we won’t be making money anymore.

8 quarters of progressively worse quarters on top of the worst one in the history of the company and we’d be negative. Not out of business just not in the black for once lol

Plus we’ve got about 3.5-4 billion we are paying out in dividends each year on top of the 6 billion in profits. That’s a lot of downhill.

Certainly not saying it’s not possible. Maybe just not as dire as we think.

I'm so far out of it I don't have a clue anymore but from an outsiders view it sure looks to me like a lot of terrible decisions are coming out of the Ivory Tower in the last few years. In about 1973 U.S. Business News magazine had a 4 or five page article called "What Makes UPS Run". It was a good story on how UPS functions and how fast they were growing. It was a glowing report on an up and coming soon to be nationwide company. The last paragraph said something like the only thing that could bring this great company down was poor decision making by the leaders. I wonder if U.S Business News had a crystal ball.