Is UPS pricing themselves out of customers?

bluehdmc

I used to ship stuff I sold on Ebay, they have a shipping calculator that always seemed a dollar or 2 less than the UPS store charge me. I found if after I sold an item I used UPS with paypal shipping the cost was what the shipping calculator showed. No brainer, just printed the shipping label and dropped the package off at the UPS store.

clean hairy

Consider how much they waste every day nationwide paying 9.5 grievances, Supervisor working grievances, penalty pay for shorting checks, and who knows what other contract violations cost them $ ?
How much more money would they have if they just followed the rules? Probably mega bux!

F

FrigidAdCorrector

the last I checked friend/T management made more
There are also a lot less FT managers than there are drivers.
lets start out with that big multimillion dollar raise the CEO got not too long ago.
A drop in the bucket.

The discounts we give to big shippers are massive. I had a high value shipment the other day and it was 40 pounds, ground from the midwest to CA, and a pretty big box. Shipper paid 17 bucks.

I used to work for a company that would send a ton of Priority Overnight with FedEx all over the world. When you'd close the system for the day you would get a printout of the daily charges. I was always shocked how much of a discount we would get. If you went to FedEx office they would have charged us 150 bucks to send an overnight package to our Hong Kong office. We only ended up paying 38 dollars.

We may be priced high for the average joe who is sending a package to grandma. But for the big shippers we are pretty reasonable.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
It works, not very well, but like a old car that keeps breaking down, it works.
To say something works, but not very well, means it doesn't work.

That old car that you have that you keep sinking money in to keep it running just because it gets better gas mileage than the brand new car in the garage is ludacrous.

The money you're putting into that car far outways the savings in gas mileage compared to the brand new car.

The same with ORION. Even for the few areas that it works somewhat, the cost of the extra overtime far outways the savings in miles.

Target went into Canada because they had a lot of Canadian shoppers coming here to Target.

They spent billions. Lost their a$$es. They pulled out and cut their loses because they realized it would never work.

UPS needs to do the same with ORION. Cut their losses now and pay the drivers to do what they have been doing for the past 100 years.

And guess what? They will actually save money.

Tiny Panda

This is it, we're always told in PCMs etc that we are the best of the best and that people pay for quality and service. In a way they are right but 90% of people don't care as long as they get their package on time and in one piece. We don't offer anything over and above anything Fed-Ex or DHL do

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We don't offer anything over and above anything Fed-Ex or DHL do

Actually, we do-----neither of them require their drivers to make their daily pickups within a +/- 15 minute window. Our appearance standards and on time performance on premium services exceeds that of our competition.

For the basics, you are right in that there is little difference between UPS and FedEx. (DHL is a joke and should not even be part of the conversation) Customers today are willing to sacrifice service in order to save on shipping costs.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
You're funny----the last I checked friend/T management made more---lets start out with that big multimillion dollar raise the CEO got not too long ago.
And the millions of dollars they throw out the window on useless schiznitt that dont work Orion Edd Dol all the stuff that sounds like a good idea but these idiots halfasczz everything everyday n then wind up wasting money in the end. UPS spend a dollar to save a nickel lmfao.