Is your ABS light on?

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
While I can see how it would add more work, doesn't ignoring it or pushing it off open ups and the mechanic up to major litigation if the driver is involved in some sort of breaking/hydro planing accident?
Not a shaded item on the pmi form like brownslave said. The shaded areas of the form are items that must be in working order to be able to put a sticker on it. And an abs light could pop on at anytime so I don't see how they could hold the mechanic liable.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
i love ABS . especially in snow country with a set of doubles.

have practiced on ice with ABS and Non ABS with set and the difference is astounding.

you can slam on brakes on ice with ABS and your set will stop straight. without it......well you can guess.

our mechanics are TOP RATE. you go to our shop with the ABS light on and they will fix it. either reset it, fix, or red tag if necessary. sometimes we have to change out dolly which can be a pain but worth it before driving in a storm.

i will test the set at the hub if there is snow or ice on the ground. if not , then will test as soon as possible.

usually i try to drive as if i dont have ABS in the first place to be on the safe side.

usually but not always , if you have to slam on the brakes , you are doing something wrong.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I LOVE our mechanics! I write up vehicles for random things like rear camera out and dome light not working and I get awesome replies like "don't back up" and my favorite,in regards to rear camera,is"they are disabled due to frequent dead battery service calls". During safety meeting last month I gave the mechanics supervisor a picture of the replies and asked him if his department was ready for the ensuing lawsuit from a driver getting injured in the cab because the light is out.....crickets!
it's generally not a good idea to piss off your mechanics.

work with them.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Must say I can't defend the domelight thing, but that's being a bit of a drama queen.^^^
i never write up minor stuff like that. just stop at shop and BS with mechanic while it takes 5 minutes to fix and make $50 plus an hr.

get out late which just pisses off bean counter managers but i just say check IVIS. it's all documented.

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
Meant brown wrench, but drivers that try to solve the problem with you is always a plus. The ones that write crazy stuff and refuse to take a minute to go to automotive don't help the situation.